Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hurricane Aid for Foreign Immigrants (Read 5026 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Hurricane Aid for Foreign Immigrants
Oct 17th, 2005 at 8:36am
Print Post  
I want to see what you guys think about this.

Quote:
Hillary Clinton Urges Katrina Aid for Illegal Immigrants

Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton is urging the Department of Homeland Security to assure illegal immigrants that they will get their fair share of Hurricane Katrina relief aid without fear of being deported.

In a statement posted to her official Senate web site on Wednesday, Clinton said that the DHS should "issue a formal statement reassuring immigrant victims of Hurricane Rita and Katrina that they can seek help from relief agencies without fear of deportation or being turned over to immigration authorities."

In a letter written directly to Homeland Security Chief Michael Chertoff, Clinton and other Senate Democrats complained that they first asked for Katrina amnesty for illegals more than two weeks ago, but have not received a response.

"In fact," they said, "we were surprised and troubled to learn that DHS has placed some individuals in deportation proceedings after these individuals sought assistance, despite the fact that the government had previously encouraged all storm victims to come forward to seek help.

"Particularly given the widely publicized reports that DHS will deport some immigrant victims of Katrina who sought assistance, we believe such a public assurance is crucial."

Mrs. Clinton urged Chertoff to "terminate removal proceedings against those (illegal immigrants) who were placed in proceedings after they sought assistance."

Other Senate Democrats who signed onto Mrs. Clinton bid to obtain Katrina aid for illegal immigrants include Harry Reid, Dick Durbin, Maria Cantwell, Barack Obama, Russ Feingold, Daniel Akaka, Frank Lautenberg, Joe Lieberman, Carl Levin, John F. Kerry, Chris Dodd, Pat Leahy and Jon Corzine.

Obviously, we should provide basic immediate medical care and "bare necessities" of food, water, clothing, and shelter to anyone on our shores that suffered from the hurricanes.  Outside of that, do you feel we have any obligation to offer ongoing assistance (job assistance, welfare, insurance, etc) to illegal immigrants displaced by the hurricanes?  Should these individuals be deported as they are discovered?

This goes above and beyond a "normal" deportation scenario, which is why I raise the questions.  It'll be interesting to see your responses.

-James

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Hurricane Aid for Foreign Immigrants
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 9:48am
Print Post  
When did Hilary officially through her penis...I mean hat...hat!...into the race?

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 9:49am
Print Post  
I don't think she did.  The article is mostly bogus, but it still raises and interesting question.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
oh, another anti-democrat/hilary bogus article.

i'm shaking in my little booties.

Roll Eyes I'm starting to get bored with Republicans.

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Roll Eyes I'm starting to get bored with Republicans.

It's the Libertarians you need to be worried about.

-b0b
(...at least it isn't the Green party.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint