Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Apple Vs. PC (Read 6260 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Apple Vs. PC
Oct 20th, 2005 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Bob, or anyone interested in doing so...

Write all the points proving apple is no good, and why PC's are still superior.

Keep in mind this new announcement

Quote:
Apple explained that its new Power Mac G5 Quad configuration, clocked at 2.5GHz and featuring two dual-core G5 chips, can encode standard definition video content in Final Cut Pro 5 up to 60 percent faster than the dual-processor 2.7GHz system that preceded it, for example. Adobe Photoshop runs a series of 45 commonly used filters and actions 43 percent faster on a Quad system; Adobe After Effects ca render video effects up to 69 percent faster, LightWave 3D renders animation up to 59 percent faster and the Bioinformatics Benchmark System (BBS version 3) can complete a comparison of genomic sequences up to 39 percent faster.

The Power Mac G5 supports up to 16GB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM and now includes two Gigabit Ethernet ports. Multiple Gigabit Ethernet ports are well-suited for users who plan to utilize their Power Mac in an Xsan environment, according to Apple — that’s Apple’s Storage Area Network solution for high performance computing.

The Power Mac G5 continues to feature FireWire 800, FireWire 400, USB 2.0, digital audio input and output, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate).

The Power Mac G5 comes standard with either Nvidia’s GeForce 6600 LE or GeForce 6660 graphics cards, featuring 128MB and 256MB of video memory respectively. Both support the 30-inch Cinema HD Display. Nvidia’s GeForce 7800 GT with 256MB VRAM and the Quadro FX 4500 with 512MB VRAM are available as build-to-order options.

All four PCI Express card slots can be populated with graphics cards, so you can create a Power Mac G5 that drives up to eight displays. What’s more, the Quadro FX 4500 card features stereo 3D capabilities, so you use it with a stereoscopic display.

I havent been paying much attention to the PC hardware world in a long time... So if any of you all can hook me up with some nice arguements besides the cliche: "Macs are gay" that would be appreciated.

~BRiney

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Apple Vs. PC
Reply #1 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Macs are gay.

Oh, wait...

I don't have time to do a dissertation, but remember that hype-filled advertisements should rarely be taken at face value.

Do you remember when Intel released the MMX instruction set back in the days of the old school original Pentium line?  Supposedly, Photoshop ran a hojillion-percent faster with MMX than it did without it.

Of course, that only applied to 20-25 filters that were custom-designed with the MMX instruction set in mind.  A Pentium 133 is still a Pentium 133, instruction set notwithstanding.

As far as Apple's shiny new toy, I'm sure it is faster than their last generation.  That's generally how things work in the realm of technology.  Do you think Apple is going to throw out a press release that says "Realistically, our new line is approximately 5% faster than our old line."  Of course not, that'd be suicide by marketing.

Besides, a quad-processor Mac workstation with 16GB of RAM is unrealistic for 99.9% of people.  I can build a quad-processor PC workstation with 16GB of RAM, too, but I seem to be missing the bajillion dollars necessary to pay for such a beast.

Show me a realistic Macintrash and a realistic PC, and I'll take the PC any day of the week.   Why?  I'm a network engineer for a Microsoft-based LAN, so using an incompatible workstation would be totally pointless.

You want some good, cheap reasons to not use Mac?  Here are a couple.

• Higher price than comparable PC hardware.
  • Significantly less choice (and higher expense) for aftermarket components.  (Video cards, etc.)
  • No decent directory services because Mac OS/X Server sucks.
  • Limited compatibility with third-party directory services.
  • Significantly less native software, including games and productivity suites.
  • Significantly longer time-to-market for dual-market software.

Mind you, I'm not a PC fanboy or an anti-Macintrash zealot, but both systems have their place.  Since Apple is finally realizing the PowerPC architecture sucks, they've sold out to Intel.  The only thing that will differentiate Apple from "Wintel" after the conversion is a "lockdown" chip on the motherboard and the operating system.  Outside of the DRM chip (which I'd like to hear your thoughts on), Mac OS will be no different from any other non-Windows OS.  Wintel hardware with a non-Wintel OS.  Big whoop.

Again, I know Macs have their place.  I'm sure they're absolutely wonderful machines for digital media in all the various flavors it might come in.  However, the Mac is not a PC replacement.  There are some things a Mac just can't do, or at least not do right.  There is a reason why you'll never find a serious company (again, outside of digital media) that has Macintrash workstations on every desktop.  Until Apple can fix some of the very fundamental flaws I've listed above, they'll continue to be limited to a niche market.

You see, the most elemental reason why Macs aren't accepted on "real networks" is mostly a matter of attitude.  To make it in the IT field, a vendor has to be willing to play nice with all the other hardware and software on the network.  The name of the game in IT these days is integration.  This is the same concept that makes devices like the Blackberry so popular, because the end users want a single device from which they can make phone calls, check e-mail, reboot servers, keep a calendar, jot notes, and scrub the kitchen sink.

From any workstation or server on the network, I should be able to control every other workstation or server on the network.  I should be able to view and change file permissions, unlock user accounts, add e-mail aliases, create new user logons, etc.  I can't do that from a Mac.

Likewise, I should be able to create a "unique experience" for every user on every machine.  If I want to set Joe Blow's homepage to TWNCommunications.Net, I should be able to do that without ever touching his machine.  This is called "policy," and any company that wants to survive in today's IT market makes darn sure their product is fully policy-controllable.  Mac won't play that game.  They went far enough to allow their machines to authenticate to Active Directory networks, but that's it.  No control via policy of any kind.

Again, this isn't a technological problem that Apple is facing, but a problem of attitude.  If Apple wants to get out of their niche market, they need to drop the "holier than thou" attitude and starting playing well with others.  As long as they keep up their arrogant, isolationist attitude they'll never be taken seriously by engineers or administrators.  Until that happens, Apple's niche market will remain their only market.

-b0b
(...didn't intend to write so much.)

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2005 at 12:47pm by b0b »  

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 9:47am
Print Post  
I really don't like the one button mouse

Also...we need a new GUI set up....I'm tired of the ole Start Button in the lower left corner.  I need soething different!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #3 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
If you are really into changing your GUI, check out windowsblinds or DesktopX

These progs skin your windows gui and theres a good amount of customization.

You can get them off torrent sites. Check out

www.customize.org
www.deviantart.com

to download various themes that people have made. Windowsblinds has many more different options but sticks to the start menu option. Desktop X lets you get a little crazier.

Couple of Desktop X options, sorry bout the size:

Nice writeup bob. As far as CPU speed goes, if you ever come across a comparison let me know. All i hear from people at this school is that Mac CPU architecture is 2X, 5X, blah blah faster on a Mac than PC. And how does AMD compare to these Intel chips?

~BRiney

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint