Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic The Bobulator VII (Read 3739 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

The Bobulator VII
Oct 28th, 2005 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
It's time for the Bobulator VII to be built, and I've got most of the parts ready.  This won't be a complete rebuild since I don't really need a new sound card and I'm too poor to drop $650.00 on a video card, but I think this stuff should last me another 18-24 months.  I'll probably replace the video card with a 6600GT or something similar early next year though.

Soyo SY-KT880 Dragon 2 (v2.0) motherboard
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Thermaltake Volcano 12 Heatsink
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
(2x) Western Digital 80GB SATA in RAID 0
(1x) Western Digital 200GB ATA133
(1x) Plextor Pimptastic DVD/CD Burner

I think 4GB of copper-plated OCZTech PC3200 DDR in a dual channel configuration should be more than enough, so I won't need to replace that any time soon.  I decided to stay with 32-bit for one last "hurrah", but Athlon XP motherboards are becoming very hard to find, so this will definitely be the last iteration.

I'm a huge fan of Soyo for performance workstation motherboards.  Outside of the one that caught on fire (which was my original Soyo K7V-Dragon+ because the plus means better), I've never had any trouble with them.  They offer tons of features, rock-solid stability, and a decent price.

As far as the drives, I went with cheap 80GB SATA's for the "system" drives and an old 200GB ATA133 drive for unimportant storage, like game installs and temporary download space.  Since I store everything on the server, I'm not concerned with excessive storage space on my workstation.

So, what do you guys think?  For a poor man's system, I think it'll do just fine for at least a year to a year and a half.  I think the Bobulator VIII will be a complete rebuild, like the Bobulator IV was.  New case (*gasp!*), all new optical and data drives, new sound/video/RAID cards, new power supply, everything.  I'm going to try to pay off my car a couple years early (Dave Ramsey style), and if I can finish that off by next fall, I'll try to devote my cash to a totally new Bobulator.  I might even splurge on a new monitor (19"LCD?) and some uber-speakers (Creative Gigaworks S750, baybee!).

-b0b
(...will be happy for now.)

SoyoMoBo.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Re: The Bobulator VII
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 12:10am
Print Post  
I bow before the great Dragon (Mines still kicking after like 3 years!)

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Mine lasted over three years before that stick of ram decided to catch on fire.  The chipset fan started emitting the whine of death about a year ago, so I tied the fan to the shroud with a zip tie.  It still worked just fine.

-b0b
(...wonders why Soyo stopped packaging the drive bay?)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
I'm thinking about picking up a 6600GT video card in a few weeks, depending on how much my rental car is going to set me back.  If I can recover my deductable from the guy that hit me, I think I'll go with a better card.  If not, this is what I'm lookinging at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150098

-b0b
(...w00t.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint