Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Chemical Weapons in Fallujah (Read 10793 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Chemical Weapons in Fallujah
Nov 9th, 2005 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
White Phosphorous was used in Fallujah in 2004. Watch this documentary, its 30 mins long.

Direct link, save as:

http://www.rainews24.rai.it/ran24/inchiesta/video/fallujah_ING.wmv

The US is so hypocritical its not even funny.

~BRiney

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Chemical Weapons in Fallujah
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2005 at 9:20pm
Print Post  

Quote:
WASHINGTON -
Pentagon officials acknowledged Tuesday that U.S. troops used white phosphorous as a weapon against insurgent strongholds during the battle of Fallujah last November. But they denied an Italian television news report that the spontaneously flammable material was used against civilians.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051116/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/iraq_white_phosphorous

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 12:11am
Print Post  
I've not watched the documentary, nor have I really into the issue, but I must honestly say that I don't see what the problem is.  White phosphorous is an incendiary weapon, not a chemical or biological agent in the traditional sense.  It certainly isn't a weapon of mass destruction.

How is the use of white phosphorous in Iraq any different than using a traditional "backpack" flame thrower in World War II and in Korea, or airborne napalm in Vietnam?

-b0b
(...doesn't see the problem is.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:54am
Print Post  

BBC-
"It was used as an incendiary weapon against enemy combatants," spokesman Lt Col Barry Venable told the BBC - though not against civilians, he said. The US earlier denied it had been used in Falluja at all. Washington is not a signatory of an international treaty restricting the use of white phosphorus devices.

The U.S used it on people in Fallujah indiscriminatly. They used star burst flares and fired them from helicopters at the city below, causing a deadly cloud that would literally melt your skin off. It doesn't affect clothing, just reacts with water and oxygen in the skin. I don't care what anyone says that tries to discriminate between chemical weapons or incendiary devices; anything used to kill and maim people in such a manner is cruel and illegal. 

The fact that the U.S. holds itself above torture and chemical weapons and yet has not signed treaties regarding torture, chemical weapons, or landmines just shows how hypocritical we really are.

~BRiney

(...)

IP Logged

pangulo
GeekCrew n00b

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 11:09am
Print Post  
I don't see it as such.  It has always been my understanding that the government takes a very realist approach to the way it forms it policy... which basically leaves its options open.  In relative terms this "war" has been humane.  Contrast this with the "heroic" actions of the WWII generation who carpet bombed entire German cities, fire bombed Japanese cities that killed more civilians than the atom bombs did, and set up concentration camps that are still considered legal.  And this is only the tip of the iceberg of what I am sure are many other unethical actions.

In short, this is nothing new.

Lucky 13
AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 11:44am
Print Post  
With all due respect pango, I think you're missing the point.

It's not whether or not these are standard operating procedures that have gone on before.  But it's rather about the question of whether its right or not.  Do you think that what you have listed during WWII were correct courses of action?  Internment camps of American citizens (which still go on today), the destruction of Dresden with unholy fire, etc.  Would it be ok for the government to use biological or chemical weapons on an enemy even with the possibility of civilian causalties (they're just a bunch of Arab over there...it doesn affect me)?

We are above torture?  Is that why we ok torture as right now because the ends the justify the means?  They're terrorists, they deserve neither representation nor POW rights.  The ends justify the means has been a policy that has only resulted in attrocities.

X
(Doesn't know how much plainer he can make it)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
I agree that this is nothing new, and the atrocities committed by both sides in World War II are too many to be properly named. I was merely referring to the U.S. policy of not targeting civilians and using unsanctioned weapons as being hypocritical to what actually goes on.

Another shady dealing by the United States was during the Indonesian invasion of East Timor in the early 70's. The U.S. is always on a soap box preaching about the evils of genocide but East Timor was allowed to be taken over by Indonesia with barely a peep by Western leaders.  It just so happened that Indonesia is a very large oil exporter and they "coincidentaly" used United States military equipment. In the middle of this massacre where hundreds of thousands were being murdered, the Indonesian Army ran out of ammo and equipment and Jimmy Carter signed another deal with them for more equipment, and they continued with their atrocity.

Cambodia was another example. In 1969 the United States began a 4 year carpet bombing campaign which murdered hundreds of thousands of Cambodians. Not a single thing reported. Pol Pot comes out and startes killing Cambodians and all of a sudden its a world outcry of genocide.

I'm pissed because noone is speaking for these people. They are being abused and murdered in Iraq and all we hear is how American soldiers are being killed. Any loss of life is horrible but the media has totally forgetten or overlooked war crimes committed by the United States.

I totally agree with you David, this is not a new occurance. I can't even begin to imagine the horror of the napalm bombings of Tokyo in WW II. American bombers would come in from 2 different angles and drop napalm over the city in the form of an X. This huge burning X could be seen for miles. Then the rest of the bombers would come in and destroy everything in the spaces between the lines. This was to ensure total destruction.

South Park nailed it when they said the U.S. is all about saying one thing and doing another.

~BRiney

(...viva la revolution)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Nov 16th, 2005 at 12:11pm:
I'm pissed because noone is speaking for these people.

If that's your point, there is no need to hit the history books.  Modern warfare provides a perfect example of this same thing.  Why are we not in Sudan?  Why aren't we doing something about the genocide of the Darfurians?  Would that be immoral for us, since we're not the "world police?"  Exactly when should we step in and do something in a foreign sovereign nation?

It seems like the only time we ever step in is when we've got something personal at stake.  The days of "protecting the world from communism" are over.  If there isn't oil or some other resource at stake, we couldn't care less.

Now, back to the topic.  Before I go any further with the white phosphorous debate, answer a simple question for me.  Are these weapons legal and ethical?

-b0b
(...doesn't think war would be pleasant with any weapons.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
WHAT?!  YOU'RE NOT FOR THE WAR?!  THEN YOU MUST NOT SUPPORT THE TROOPS!!!  YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN!!!  YOU HATE AMERICA!!  WE ARE AT WAR WHY DON'T YOU SUPPORT BUSH AND GIVING HIM MORE POWER!  DON'T ASK ABOUT YOUR RIGHTS, THESE TROOPS NEED TO CURB SOME OF YOUR RIGHTS TO PROTECT YOU AND YOUR RIGHTS!

X
(Thought about injecting some humor into the situation)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
I understand what your saying bob, and I hate those weapons. As far as we can all be concerned a gun is nasty. As far as international laws are concerned, those weapons are not. My issue with Fallujah specifically is the indescriminate killing because many reports describe Americans firing from helicopters and mortar rounds filled with WP.

Keep in mind the 1993 Chemical Weapons Convention bans "toxic chemical" weapons which causes "death, harm or temporary incapacitation to humans or animals through their chemical action on life processes".

I consider something that chemically reacts with your skin and literally burns it off a chemical weapon. Using WP on your bullets as tracer rounds is one thing, but using WP shells to flush out people in a city or just plain kill them is not cool.

IP Logged

pangulo
GeekCrew n00b

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
X, I get the point, I just want to avoid bringing in the ethics of using such a weapon because in the final analysis, it is pretty much moot.  Any government--and we can even bring this down to the individual-- will do whatever is necessary to achieve their aims.

What I am trying to say is that while America tries to paint a veneer of being high and moral while doing things to the contrary is hypocritical (Jason is compeletely right on that point), my point is... So what?  What do you expect?

Perhaps I'm just a big cynic, but I don't believe that trying to adhere to idealistic values can be done.  As to whether the ends justify the means, I believe that it can.

Lucky 13
AIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Yea in the end, should we really be surprised? I guess I took this a bit far but governments since the very beginning have always engaged in hypocracy. It's not new but I think there's still a part of me left over that wants to believe in an American Dream. Up until a year or two ago, I would vigourously defend certain aspects of this society that I know to be false now; it still takes it's toll.

All in all, I wish there was a way we could start over politically in the United States, get some regular folk in office. This elite class of people that are constantly getting elected is getting us nowhere. They are not in touch with what really goes on with the common citizen.

Good points made by all. I feel enlightened.

~BRiney

(...digresses)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Nov 16th, 2005 at 7:23pm:
All in all, I wish there was a way we could start over politically in the United States, get some regular folk in office.

Revolution.  Sure, it's not necessary yet, but things won't get any better.  I can pretty much guarantee that.

You know what?  Even a successful revolution wouldn't solve anything.  Even if by some miracle a coup would succeed and restore a 1776-style American government, it'd be a temporary victory.  Over time, America would be brought down by the same greed that has infected it today.  Greedy politicians and a greedy citizenry have destroyed this country, and they'll destroy it again.  Every great civilization has suffered the same fate.  It's not a problem with government or politicians, it's a problem with humanity.  There's only one man that's going to fix that, and we aren't it.

The only thing we can do is continue to fight the good fight (overlooking our occasional disagreements) to slow down America's descent.  Ultimately, America is doomed and there isn't a thing any of us can do about it.  I call it "Pax Americana."

-b0b
(...buy guns, buy gold.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2005 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Pax Americana. Most excellent reference, Bob. Roma was arguably brought down by the decleration of Christianity as its official religion. There were other factors, like splitting the empire between Roma and Constantinople, the constant invasions by Germanic tribes, but I would say that Christianity is what brought them down. It's interesting to see Bush's polocies trying to put more and more Christian themes in various forms of government.

As far as revolution goes, I say we need one. There is alot to be desired but if we could start over with a clean slate, I would think our whole system would need to be reworked. I know that removing certain people from office would solve nothing, because we have an endless supply of corrupt individuals.

What about some kind of manditory duty to hold an office for a certain period of time. At least for some of the lower offices. Who knows, I personally haven't the knowledge or time to think of a new system but I think one is in order. There are too many things that the founding fathers could not have forseen happening, but now that the current system is so massive and corrupt, I think that it is time to reorganize and place new restrictions and laws that can be related to modern thinking.

~BRiney

(...viva la Revolution)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 12:59am
Print Post  
The cure for 1984 is 1776.  Viva la revolution!

-b0b
(...should buy more ammo.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint