Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Yet Another Gun (Read 18922 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Yet Another Gun
Nov 19th, 2005 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
I decided I needed another rifle.  Spanky, Mike and I went to On Target Gunshop in Kalamazoo tonight, and I decided it was time to buy the Russian SKS I've been drooling over for a few months now.  This is my first true surplus military rifle, a Chinese Norinco production of the Russian SKS chambered in 7.62x39.  Without further adieu...

I'm told that Chicks dig military rifles.

Here's a picture of the rifle beside my Springfield XD carry pistol for scale.  By the way, that is a bayonet you see extended.  Can I get a heck yeah?

Just to give you an idea of bullet scale, the cartridge on the top is what I carry in my pistol whenever I go out in public (assuming I'm not going to a "banned" place, like school or church).  It's a .40SW 165-grain Federal Hydrashok, which is a jacketed hollow-point.  These things look freakin' evil when viewed cone-first.

The second round is what I bought tonight for my SKS, a 195-grain 7.62x39mm Silver Bear ballpoint.  I bought five hundred rounds tonight, "just in case."  You can never have too much ammunition!

The third round is a .223 Remington, which is the standard ammunition used by the US military (and many others).  It's also a military surplus round, a 125-grain 5.56x45mm Wolf Ballpoint.  I've got several hundred rounds of that stuff, too.  As you can see, it's longer and thinner than the SKS/AK47 ammunition, with a smaller bullet.  This results in a significantly faster round with less displacement energy.  The two rounds are very different, but both are very effective at their respective duties.

I'm going to head to Mike's parents' house tomorrow night to try out my new toy, if anybody is interested in tagging along.  Say, 2:00pm, after church?

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Yet Another Gun
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2005 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Bob, that is a sweet gun man, congrats. I'd be willing to come shooting sometime soon, I'm still not sure im going to be in town for thanksgiving, but somewhere around there would be nice.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 11:06am
Print Post  
It's absolutely breathtaking.  I wish I had as many instruments as you have guns...

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
So not only did you NOT buy America

you bought a Ruskie gun made by China?!

X
(Bah ha ha ha)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
lol nice one Patrick

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
If there is one thing you can't diss on the Russkies for, it's their Cold War era military.  The Russians had an amazing military, all the way from their ICBM's all the way down to their CZ-52 carry pistols.

I'll buy American surplus someday, but they're freakin' expensive.  Take the M1 Garand, for instance.  It's a beautiful firearm and definitely something I plan on adding to my arsen... err, collection.  It's yours for a measly $1,100?

As far as the Chinese manufacturing, you can't confuse firearms with cheap dollar store garbage.  Yes, it came from China, but China (specifically, the Norinco corporation) was easily the #1 manufacturer of Soviet small arms.  That's why I jumped on buying this one as soon as I saw it.  The stock is beautiful, the parkerized finish is intact, and the springs feel as fresh as they do on a newly manufactured piece.  That kind of quality is virtually unheard of in a 30-year old military surplus rifle, regardless of country of origin.

Anyway, I took it out after church today with Mike and Spanky.  We only put 100 rounds downrange since it was rather cold outside.  The thing is quite accurate and cycles flawlessly.  I definitely need to buy some stripper clips for the ammo, though, because it sucks loading the internal magazine by hand.  It was a blast to shoot (no pun intended) and I can't wait to take it back out.  It was definitely worth the measly amount I paid for it.

-b0b
(...shot at a tree.)

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 1:17am
Print Post  
ew.  Tongue

cait
<not impressed. are you trying to make up for something, b0b?  Wink)

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Thanks Caitlin dear...

I didn't want to be the one to say it...

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
You guys are just jealous because it's so l33t.

-b0b
(...neener neener.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
In case you guys were wondering why I bought 500 rounds, I forgot to mention that November 19th was National Ammo Day.

http://www.ammoday.com/

500 rounds of Russian military surplus ammunition.  Can I get a heck yeah?

-b0b
(...heck yeah!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 9:30am
Print Post  
dang, that is in good condition.  What year was it made?

One thing I have always wanted is a thompson MG from the WW2 era or an Eninfield(sp?) or a kar98 or whatever! I want them all.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Are you talking about the Thompson M1927-A1 sub-machine gun chambered in .45ACP, also affectionately referred to as the "Tommy" gun?  That's a dead sexy gun, and it's definitely on my "Top 15 Guns to Buy Before the World Ends™" near the top.

You can buy either a surplus World War II era piece manufactured between 1928 and 1945 and pay a ridiculous amount for it, or you can buy a newly manufactured piece made by Thompson Centerfire, the same company that created the original.  Here's an example of just such a firearm that's currently selling for $975.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=40286389

You can use either tradition World War II-style stick mags, or gangster-style drum mags.  Very neat indeed.

When it comes to Enfields, I'd recommend getting an original British Enfield chambered in the cartridge named after it, .303 Enfield.  Even though the cartridge is over three quarters of a century old, it still has amazing ballistic properties.  With the proper scope, it makes one heck of a cheap sniper rifle.

You can spend anywhere from $100 to $1,000 on an original British Enfield, depending on condition and "history."  Generally, you can find a perfectly serviceable Enfield for about $175-$200.  You have a choice to make when it comes to Enfields.  You can either buy a "re-arsenaled" model that looks great and performs well but has lost some historic value, or you can buy an "original" model that hasn't been touched in fifty years that will look rougher but be worth slightly more.  The cost of re-arsenaling an Enfield offsets the decrease in collectors value, so either model costs the same price.

Because of the overwhelming number of Enfields on the market, they aren't a big collectors piece.  As such, I'd recommend buying a rearsenaled piece because they were designed with function in mind, not form.  I'd rather have a piece that works and looks great over a piece that is worth more but might not be as useful.  Here's an example of a rearsenaled piece.  The bore has been re-rifled, the metal has been re-blued, and the stock has been stripped and re-varnished.  This is an excellent piece for $199, assuming it sells at that price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=40293340

In the end, it just depends on what you're looking for in a gun, and how much you can spend on a piece.

-b0b
(...will take two, please.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
You guys need to see the American Dad for this week on guns.  Hilarious and yet it teaches you that you actually would use a gun in some situations but also that the improper use of a gun is bad.  So all in all...own a gun and use it responsibly.

X
(The more you know)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 2:59pm
Print Post  
Man, that episode rocked...
I was seriously dying.

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2005 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I downloaded it this morning, and I'll watch it when I get home.  I'm sure it will be most excellent.

-b0b
(...has high hopes.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #15 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Are we still doing anything tomorrow?  I hear the weather might be nasty.  If we can't go out, we can still chill and watch some cinematic goodness.

-b0b
(...w00t.)

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #16 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Um, who are you talking to?  Who's doing what with who?

/wants answers!  Cheesy

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #17 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
definitely gotta do something for Thanksgiving.   even if it means going shooting in the snow!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #18 - Nov 23rd, 2005 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Heck yeah!  Lock and load, baybee!

-b0b
(...been there, done that.)

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #19 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 1:57am
Print Post  
I'm too tired and overdosed on tryptophan right now to finish reading this, but I intend to tomorrow...

Figured it would be of interest to my geeky, gun-loving friends  Wink

http://www.2ampd.net/Articles/Marshall/god_and_M-60.htm

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint