Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Finally, something to put Sturgis on the map... (Read 1645 times)
Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Finally, something to put Sturgis on the map...
Feb 2nd, 2006 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
Nine to vie for Mr. Sturgis crown

BY TERRY KATZ
STURGIS JOURNAL

Nothing would make Larry Patterson happier than to see Sturges-Young Auditorium overflowing with people Feb. 4.

That’s the night of the Mr. Sturgis Pageant, when nine men will compete for the title of Mr. Sturgis. Those who attend are invited to a pre-show dinner at 6 p.m.

Whoever wins the crown will reign over special activities in Sturgis in 2006. There are other prizes, not yet announced, for all contestants.

The Mr. Sturgis pageant will resemble a Miss America pageant, with one difference, Patterson said. It’s all about men. The men will dress in evening gowns and swimsuits and perform in a talent show. For two weeks, they have been practicing dance routines, which they will do together.

“This is the best group I’ve had to work for in years,” Patterson said. “They’re all hard workers. There are no problems. They look forward to coming to practice. I believe this show will be a perfect, wonderful, humorous show that everyone will enjoy.”

Next week will be the busiest week yet, Patterson said. Contestants will spend three hours each day, Monday through Thursday, rehearsing the complete show. Feb. 3 is the dress rehearsal, which will take 3 1/2 hours.

Patterson has been producing and directing plays, musicals and variety shows at Sturges-Young for 40 of the 50 years of the auditorium’s history. He is a former Sturgis High School teacher who taught speech, drama and theater. Today, he volunteers as a member of the Sturges-Young Auditorium board.

Helping Patterson behind the scenes are Rose Rudinski, who takes care of organizational details, and choreographer Mary Sutter. Sturgis High School earth science teacher William Dickey is master of ceremonies for the show.

The contestants represent three generations.

* Woody Funk, 93, is the oldest contestant. He worked at Ray Hodgson, Inc., from 1955 to 1971.

“Since then,” he said, “I have been on the retired list.”

* Harry Niebling is retired from Central Builders Supplies Company. He is married to Dorothy and has three daughters, one son and seven step-children. Niebling is active in Holy Angels Church.

* Geoff Smith is a sergeant at the Sturgis Police Department. He also serves on the Sturgis Community School Board. He is married with three daughters and belongs to First United Methodist Church.

* Kevin Breen is president and medical director of Sturgis Rocket Football. He is assistant manager at Miller’s Super Valu. He is married with one son and two Australian shepherds.

* Tim Christner is a retired truck driver, writer, author and political advocate. He is co-chairman of the group Truth in Politics. He is also a Michigan Senate hopeful for 2006.

* David Rhodes is formerly from Florida and new to Sturgis. He is a former radio host, amateur stand-up comedian and poet. He is single with no children. Rhodes is also an online columnist. He works in manufacturing.

* Matt Allen works as a police officer for the City of Sturgis. He is originally from Mount Morris, near Flint. He and his wife, Chrissy, are expecting their first child.

* Ryan Banaszak is a probationary police officer for the City of Sturgis. Banaszak has a wife and a dog named Cuff.

* Chuck Huber and his wife, Cyndi, have been married for 21 years. They have two sons.

“I’ve worked at International Paper for 17 years where we recently received the highest award for safety in the state of Michigan. I’m also active in my church and the city of Sturgis.”

Part of me wishes I could go home and watch, but the other part of me is glad I'm going to a women's retreat with Campus Crusade.  A 90-year-old man in an evening gown doing a song and dance routine?  I'd need at least a gallon of eye bleach!

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint