Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Microsoft Sucks (Read 4583 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Microsoft Sucks
Apr 21st, 2006 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
I just finished attending a live webcast and boy, do I have news for you!  Microsoft is coming for ya!

If you are running illegal software, your web browser will be redirected and you will be informed of your evilness coming next week.  I'm not sure if this is a stack-level intercept that will affect all browsers, or if this is an application-level intercept that is specific to IE.  Well, you might say, "Hey, that's cool, I am legal."  Then again, you might not be.

Do you have a machine with no recovery discs?  Did you reload with a different disc than what came with your machine?  If so, you are a pirate!  ARRRRRRRR!

Don't believe me? Check out these post-seminar questions I copied from the question and answer chat session...

Quote:
Question: Currently with Dell, etc machines if a standard OEM CD is used, it will never pass activation and a call to MS is required. We do plently of reinstalls on Dells etc, customer's don't have their recovery CD, and this increases service time. Are there plans to change this recent new policy?

Answer: If you use an OEM CD to reinstall on a Dell machine and the customer doesn't leave with it, you are pirating software. When a customer purchases a machine from Dell, HP, etc. it is their responsibility to maintain that recovery CD.

Question: If I perform a repair of the OS with an OEM CD on say a Dell and it will not activate and I call to activate, is this considered piracy?

Answer: Yes. Your client needs to use the oringal DELL media. If they don't have it they need to call DELL to receive.

Question: It would seem that Microsoft should require Dell, HP, etc should be require to include media then, instead of relying on the uninformed consumer to have to backtrack and get the media. Microsoft has set this up allowing this.

Answer: When the purchase is made that purchase is between the customer and the reseller. Essentially you're asking that GM require dealerships to go to customers' homes and demand their car keys at oil change time.

They did a pretty good job of making it someone else's problem.  Microsoft is good at passing the buck.

-b0b
(...hangs his head in shame.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Microsoft Sucks
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 2:30pm
Print Post  
I'm confused....are you saying if I am running an illegal XP copy then my computer then something will happen to me?

When will this be?  What will happen?  Is there any truth to it?  Is this for all XP copies?

I'm confused.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 11:14am
Print Post  
They're trying to catch me ridin' dirty.

My copy is legit and I have the boot disk.

Stewy, all you have to do is take a CS class at western and you can have access to legal free operating systems and other softwares... I think.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 11:33am
Print Post  
SCREW THAT...I'm done with college!  Yo!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2006 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Incidentally, I'm thinking about returning to school to complete my Bachelor's in Information Systems Security, and perhaps pursue a Graduate degree.

-b0b
(...gets free software anyway.) Smiley

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2006 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
One more year and I will have obtained a BS degree in Computer Science General.

Stick
(BS degree..hahah)

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint