Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cable Television - A dying utility? (Read 5120 times)
The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Cable Television - A dying utility?
May 18th, 2006 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
With all the online pirating of television shows and such.  ABC is now allowing you to watch the previous nights prime time shows on their website, for free.

I think this is a pretty neat idea.  Sure you have to watch commercials just like its on TV, but you don't have to bother searching for shows on Torrent sites, and you don't have to worry about poor quality.  Not to mention its completely legal, so if you worry about that sort of thing you no longer have anything to fear.

With upgrading internet bandwidth and computers becoming more common place than TV's attached to cable lines, I think that the prime time may be moving to your local computer screen.

What do you nerds think?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Cable Television - A dying utility?
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2006 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Yea its pretty cool, but it doesnt take long to go to a torrent site and download it. With proper port forwarding, an episode can come in in about 5 or 10 minutes, no commercials. If this type of downloading was blocked or limited at the ISP level, then ya, I can see how that might sway some people to watch it that way. Warner Brothers is going to start offering movies you can buy to download, prolly at the cost of a dvd, so we will see how that goes.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2006 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
I think once 10MBPS broadband becomes more commonplace outside of metropolitan centers, some enterprising entrepreneur will start offering on-demand television service in a "buffet" format.  Think of it as iTunes for TV.

Honestly, I'm surprised Apple hasn't made a more concerted effort to push a wider selection of "fresh" TV shows.  I, for one, wouldn't mind paying a couple bucks a week for a decent 24-hours news station.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2006 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
but it would be more. Its 1.99 per show.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2006 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Piracy will continue to thrive until it becomes worthwhile to do it the legal way.

-b0b
(...blames it on simple economics.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2006 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
It's just more convenient the pirated way.  Grin

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2006 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Sure the hardcore pirates will keep stealing shows for free, but you have to admitt, the GRAND majority of internet dwellers do NOT partake in large scale piracy of movies and television shows.

ABC I think has just started a trend that will most likely lead to Television being a utility that is no longer funneled to the Television Smiley

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2006 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
I think television will always have a place in the household.  Perhaps one day traditional delivery methods (air broadcast, cable, satellite) will disappear only to be replaced by the Interweb, but the TV will always plays a part in the American household.  At least for the near future, anyway.

-b0b
(...could be wrong.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint