Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Waco 2.0? (Read 7646 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Waco 2.0?
May 20th, 2006 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Texas neighbors keep eye on sect
Fear bloodbath if FBI fugitive is hiding in temple
By Miguel Bustillo, Los Angeles Times | May 20, 2006

ELDORADO, Texas -- Jimmy Doyle, the local justice of the peace, circled his Piper Cherokee plane over the fast-sprouting minicity where polygamist prophet Warren Jeffs, one of the FBI's Ten Most Wanted Fugitives, may be hiding.

More than a half-mile below, a monolithic white temple encased in thick limestone towered over the West Texas scrubland.

All around it, young men in pickups and construction cranes were busy building a self-sufficient compound, which authorities believe is intended as a sanctuary for the 1,000 most faithful followers of the breakaway Mormon sect known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

''Some call this a religion," said Doyle, 69, as he stared out the cockpit with a look of disgust. ''But it sure looks like a cult to me."

Doyle and other leaders in Eldorado have been keeping a wary eye on their secretive neighbors since church leaders told a real estate broker two years ago that they planned to build a hunting lodge.

The anxiety has heightened this month in this town, with a population of 1,951, 4 miles from the compound, after news that the FBI now considers Jeffs one of its most highly sought suspects. He is wanted on charges that include rape and child molestation.

Jeffs -- who may have been present at the dedication of the white temple last year -- has preached that Zion, the stronghold where his sect will experience salvation, lies in Texas, according to former members of the church. Jeffs has also compared himself to Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism who was killed by a mob in Illinois, and predicted a climactic confrontation with the outside world.

Narrating his bird's-eye tour of the compound locals have called the Yearning for Zion Ranch, Doyle pointed to amenities in varying stages of construction. There were three-story dormitories, a commissary, a dairy farm, a chicken coop, orchards of fruit trees, row crops, a rock quarry, a cement plant, a water tank, greenhouses, grain silos -- and clearly, more to come.

The first floor of every building was constructed with solid concrete ''thick enough to withstand a bullet," Doyle noted. Women in antiquated long skirts and bonnets are sometimes seen tending crops. Men inside a tall wooden guard tower stand sentry around the clock, informing outsiders that they are unwelcome.

Ten thousand members strong, the fundamentalist church, which believes that men need a minimum of three wives to be granted complete salvation, openly practiced polygamy for decades with scant interference from police in Utah and Arizona. But the sect is facing serious law enforcement scrutiny in those states amid allegations that it tolerated the sexual abuse of children.

As a result, its leaders and their multitude of spouses are seeking a new beginning in rural Schleicher County, Texas, about 200 miles northwest of San Antonio.

Jeffs has prophesied a final showdown between the devoted and the outside world. Many in Eldorado worry that his supporters will do something rash when he is cornered.

The worst fears, fed by a barrage of media reports, are that Eldorado could become ''the next Waco." Some foresee a bloodbath similar to the one that occurred 13 years ago near Waco when a federal siege on a Branch Davidian compound ended with the deaths of 76 church members, including its leader David Koresh.

''They're up to something big in there, no doubt about that," said Wayne McGiness, the Eldorado postmaster, as he stood on County Road 300 and peered inside the compound through a pair of binoculars. ''I just hope this Jeffs character doesn't try to go out a martyr."

Law enforcement officials downplay the concerns, saying there is no reason to suspect the men inside the compound are armed and dangerous. Thus far, Texas authorities have received no reports of sexual abuse or any of the other alleged crimes that have followed the fundamentalist church.

Under Texas's development policies, government officials have only minimal authority over construction on the compound. The sect's only run-in with the law involved $34,000 in fines imposed by state environmental regulators for failing to properly dispose of raw sewage.

Wow, check out pictures of their hideout.  It's not a compound, it's a freakin' city.

-b0b
(...wonders if and when this one will blow up?)

IP Logged

texfrost
GeekCrew Hax0r

Two Laps

Re: Waco 2.0?
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2006 at 12:47am
Print Post  
We need a link to check out pics there b0b.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - May 21st, 2006 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Oh yeah.  Oops.

http://web.sccn2.net/flds/05-17-2006.htm

-b0b
(...is awfully absent-minded as of late.)

IP Logged

texfrost
GeekCrew Hax0r

Two Laps

Reply #3 - May 21st, 2006 at 1:49am
Print Post  
Goo....thats more than a city....thats like thier own personal county...

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #4 - May 21st, 2006 at 2:01am
Print Post  
Quote:
The sect's only run-in with the law involved $34,000 in fines imposed by state environmental regulators for failing to properly dispose of raw sewage.

/giggle

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2006 at 9:55am
Print Post  
"Goo" indeed.

-b0b
(...wants a compound.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2006 at 10:20am
Print Post  
I love how everyone assumes that because it's another "cult group" that has their own compound that they will turn it into another Waco.  I kinda don't want to get off on too much of a rant but I still want to make stuff clear.

The Branch Davidians were set up my the ATF and the US Attorney General.  The ATF members were the ones who set the fire (proven), shot into the building and at fleeing members trying to escape the fire including the children (proven and video evidence), the ATF was the one who used tanks! (proven), and all of it for just a simple weapons violation that did not require that much man or firepower.  Now I want to make it clear that I don't agree with the Davidians (a take off of the Seventh Day Adventist church which I almost don't consider them a Christian sect, kinda like the Mormons who I don't consider) but they are no different than people who cut themselves off from society and live on their own, just these people accumulated based on a religion.  David Coresh was set up to take the fall.  Using the expression dead men tell no tales, he had words put into his mouth (I am god!) and the DOJ got a former member of his to testify that she was abused by Coresh (found to be false and the DOJ "helped her along").

The Branch Davidians are a more mild case when you consider this fundamentalist sect of the Mormon church. (actually these Mormons here are practicing the true Mormon faith with these practices they are held against.  Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon church said, those who don't practice polygamy is damned.  He claimed to be a prophet of God and so cannot be wrong.  Yet mainstream Mormons don't practice polygamy for the most part and surprise surprise it goes against many many Bible verse.  Just one last note before I digress here, sorry about this, I've compiled a massive paper on the Mormons showing what they believe and siting their scripture and showing Biblical Scripture that disccounts it and also using logic in some areas.  If anyone wants just give me a shout out and I'll email it to ya.)

These people are hiding a Index 1 (serious) criminal.  They are funding his escape.  They are talking to no one.  They are more dangerous to little girls than they are to themselves.  The ATF won't get involved here and I think it's stupid how people in the media, esp. Anderson Cooper's interviews, where everything is Waco Waco Waco....IT"S NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THAT SITUATION!

But hey, I'm an American I support everything my government does so if they want to use tanks and psychological torture on men women and children and then shoot them up when you burn their place down...go ahead!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Breaking news:  Warren Jeffs was arrested today after being pulled over during a routine traffic stop.  I'll try to find a relevant article ASAP.

-b0b
(...wonders what happened to all of the heavily armed bodyguards?)

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2006 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
LAS VEGAS - The leader of a polygamist breakaway sect who was on the FBI’s Most Wanted List has been arrested and faces sexual misconduct charges for allegedly arranging marriages between underage girls and older men, authorities said Tuesday.

Warren Steed Jeffs, 50, was taken into custody after he and two other people were pulled over late Monday by a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper on Interstate 15 just north of Las Vegas, FBI spokesman David Staretz said.

Jeffs leads the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a group that broke away from the Mormon church a century ago. He is said to have at least 40 wives and nearly 60 children.

He was wanted in Utah and Arizona on suspicion of sexual misconduct for allegedly arranging marriages between underage girls and older men.

He assumed leadership of the sect in 2002 after the death of his 98-year-old father, Rulon Jeffs, who had 65 children by several women. Jeffs took nearly all his father’s widows as his own wives.

Since May, Jeffs has been on the FBI’s Ten Most Wanted list, with a $100,000 reward offered for information leading to his capture.

Wife, brother also in car
The other two people in the vehicle were identified as one of Warren Jeffs’ wives, Naomi Jeffs, and a brother, Isaac Steed Jeffs, both 32, Staretz said. They were being interviewed by the FBI in Las Vegas but were not arrested.

Isaac Jeffs was driving a red Cadillac Escalade that was stopped for having no visible registration, said state Trooper Kevin Honea. An FBI agent was summoned to confirm Jeffs’ identity, Honea said.

Warren Jeffs was in federal custody in Las Vegas awaiting a court hearing on a federal charge of unlawful flight to avoid prosecution, Staretz said.

FBI officials said at a press conference Tuesday that Jeffs was found with $54,000 in cash, numerous gift cards worth an additional $10,000, 15 cell phones, four portable radios, four laptop computers, a global positioining system device, a police scanner, several pairs of sunglasses and three wigs.

‘Beginning of the end’
Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard told KTAR-AM of Phoenix that Jeffs’ arrest is “the beginning of the end of ... the tyrannical rule of a small group of people over the practically 10,000 followers of the FLDS sect.” He predicted that it will inspire more people to come forward with allegations of sexual abuse.

Most of the church’s members live in Hildale, Utah, and nearby Colorado City, Ariz.

Click for related content
Polygamy sex assault trial stalled as alleged victim balks

Jeffs was indicted in June 2005 on an Arizona charge of arranging a marriage between a 16-year-old girl and a married man, and unlawful flight to avoid prosecution. He is charged in Utah with two felony counts of rape as an accomplice, for allegedly arranging the marriage of a teenage girl to an older man in Nevada.

The FLDS Church split from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when the mainstream Mormon Church disavowed plural marriage more than 100 years ago.

Allegations from within church
Jeffs has been called a religious zealot and dangerous extremist by those familiar with his church.

During his four-year rule, the number of underage marriages — some involving girls as young as 13 — escalated into the hundreds, church dissidents said. They said that although the sect has long practiced the custom of arranged marriages, young girls were rarely married off until Warren Jeffs came to power.

People expelled from the community said young men were sent away to avoid competition for brides. Older men were cast out for alleged disobedience, and their wives and children were reassigned by Jeffs to new husbands and fathers, the former members said.

“If this will bring an end to that, that will be a good thing,” said Ward Jeffs, an older half brother of Warren. “We’re excited for the people down there, but we’re very concerned about who might step up and take the leadership role.”

It remained unclear Tuesday what would happen to the leadership of the church while Jeffs was incarcerated.

Federal and state law enforcement agencies will determine whether Jeffs should be extradited first to Utah or Arizona, said Steve Sorenson, a federal prosecutor in Salt Lake City. Utah’s charges are more serious, and the federal unlawful flight charge was for leaving Utah, which could influence the decision, Sorenson said.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14569632/

there ya go!

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #9 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Thanks!

-b0b
(...forgot to look for it.)

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2006 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
you're welcome.

I'm just glad they caught the bastard.

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint