Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What Do You Remember About 9/11? (Read 4912 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

What Do You Remember About 9/11?
Sep 11th, 2006 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I know most of us were in school together and spent at least part of the day together, but I'm wondering what you guys remember about 9/11?

We were at school that day.  We were switching classes shortly before 9:00am, and I walked into the Journalism classrom.  I was the first to walk into the class, and Alex Middleton rushed in just behind me and turned on the TV, saying something about a plane hitting the World Trade Center.

Like others, I thought it was an accidental crash involving a small private airplane, similar to the Empire State Building incident.  Seconds later, a handful of students had gathered in front of the TV just in time to see the second plane hit.

I very clearly remember the gasps and wide eyes that accompanied the second impact.  As the rest of the students filtered into the classroom, we filled them in on the event one at a time.

We continued to watch, listening intently as the reporter described a similar attack at the Pentagon.  No video was available of that attack for the rest of class, and the first video that was made available was of very poor quality.

Just seconds shy of 10:00am, the South Tower collapsed.  I swear, nobody uttered a single word.  We just stared blankly.  Finally, someone said, "This kind of thing only happens in Hollywood."  My response, if you'll forgive the strong language, was simply, "That did not just fucking happen."

We watched TV in every single class that day, and Briney flipped on the TV at lunch.  I remember the lunch room being almost completely silent, which was completely unheard of.

I went to work later that night at a Kmart store, and the entire place was deserted.  I saw maybe ten customers during my entire eight-hour shift.  I still clearly remember sitting in my truck listening to the radio and eating my lunch when the newscaster came on to say WTC 7 had crashed to the ground.

So, what do you guys remember?

-b0b
(...God bless America.)

IP Logged

Stick@school
GeekCrew Pedestrian

Personal Text:

Re: What Do You Remember About 9/11?
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 11:14am
Print Post  
I changed classes and sat in Mrs. Barhnum's(sp) classroom to the left of Briney in the front row.  Honestly, I didn't even know what the World Trade Center was.  I only saw one building burning and I didn't even grasp the scale of the events that were happening.  Today, it almost seems evil that I was not feeling the impact of what was happening.  After Briney and I whitnessed the second plane crashing, a tear streamed from Briney's eyes.  At that point I started to realize the magnitude of the devastation, many people JUST died at that exact moment and several more may die as well.  I believe we ended up watching both towers fall in that classroom as well.

What shocks me the most today is that in my last class of the day, FST2 with Mrs. ForgotHerName, she didn't allow the students to turn the TV on to watch the news.  We had to do work in that class, and I am also surprized that classes even continued throughout the school.

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or Personal Message. YaBBC code may be be used in your signature.  Duh!

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 12:19pm
Print Post  

I remember walking into Mrs. Barnums after the 2nd plane hit, and I had no idea what was going on. I watched them burn for a few, then ran to get my cassette tape and put it in her vcr to record it, cause that was major. People filled me in on what was going on at the time, and Stick, Corey Spade, and others and I watched what was going on. The announcer said: "hold on I think a piece is falling off the building. Then it cut to a wider shot, and I lost it. We had just watched thousands of people die in a few seconds. I did cry, but then shortly after I got mad cause people were either snickering in the back or just being insensitive, I dont remember. I guess it was too hollywood for them to understand what had just happened.

I think it was when the building fell stick, I never saw the 2nd plane hit as it happened, just in recaps. Not sure, I am hazy. I know I couldnt hold back when the 1st, then the second building fell. When the 2nd building fell, I remember thinking: Everything is changed now.

I also remember that day speculation on who did it. 1st was Egyptian extremists, then Hezbullah, then FBI sources said it was Bin Laden. I remember thinking: that was fast. I also remember being extremely mad at the dancing palestinians.

Lunchtime came, we all watched the tv in muted tones as more info came in: the pentagon, flight 93... etc.

When I went home, I watched more tv, then saw building 7 fall... And I remember going how the heck did that one fall? but then went on to brooding about who would pay for this. I made a tribute video in the days following using footage I had taped from the news.

I could post that here if you guys wanted.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
I was in my 3rd period Algebra I class with Mr. Whitmer when the announcement came over the PA to turn on the t.v.-s

then freaking out because a plane was around PA.

I was like, in ninth grade.

I blurred out that year for other reasons.

that's kinda all I remember.

Cait
   (...hates rehashing)

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I have kind of a different expierence.  I was younger than the rest of you, and was only in 8th grade at the time. 

Around 10 o'clock or so, I was called down to the office.  I was actually being sent home for the day.  Mind you, not the entire school, but just my sister Stephenie and I.  My parents had the worry that the school system would have some kind of lock-down, and make the students stay at the school for quite some time, so they took us home.

I spent some time watching the news reports at home, but mostly I tried to block the news from my life that day.  (due to the fact that it was my birthday, and I really didn't want to deal with it )  The actual atrocity of the situation didn't hit me till many days later.  I still ponder the events that happened that day, and look back at the horror with sadness.

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2006 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Well, for what its worth, happy birthday!

-b0b
(...Smiley)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2006 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
I remember actually watching the second plane but my time table is also hazy on whether you were there at the time or not.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint