Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Girls VS. HS Hockey (Read 8771 times)
texfrost
GeekCrew Hax0r

Two Laps

Girls VS. HS Hockey
Sep 24th, 2006 at 11:12pm
Print Post  
Thought you guys might find this interesting.  It was posted on another forum I'm a member of.  http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2006/09/22/hockey-decision.html?ref=rss

Personally I think its a lot of BS.  Especially the $3.5K and the private skills coach.  Not to mention this will be bad for womens sports because the womens team will loose the good players and then it will be even less interesting....

Thoughts?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Girls VS. HS Hockey
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Hogwash...he he hogwash...if women want to play with the guys, let them.  Although I think wrestling they should stay away from.  However I would make it clear that whatever the team does they must also do.  They must do the 30 pushups the coach makes everyone do.  They must skate the 5 miles with the boys.  And they must take the hits given to them and not cry about it.  I really don't have a problem with this.  And if you think this will hurt women's sports....look at the WNBA.  Shoot more people would watch the NBA to see a woman play with men who, we all know, are better than her.  For proof, look at Sportscenter.  Everytime a woman dunks...it's in the top ten plays of the day.

X
(Didn't understand the money reference)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

texfrost
GeekCrew Hax0r

Two Laps

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
The MHSAA must also compensate Amy and Jesse $3,500 each in damages for "injury to their dignity, feelings and self-respect."

As well, the association must provide the girls with one-on-one coaching sessions and one session of hockey camp, to "compensate the twins for the loss of skills they have suffered."

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Well if this is in the US, then there must have already been a law to establish this type of case.  Usually you can't reward someone with a new case law.  So, if the school violated the law then I do have to agree with what the judge forced the school to do.  It's better than it going for $1 million a pop!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 8:08am
Print Post  
People don't watch girls sports for the sports.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Girls volleyball and cheerleading "competitions" for example?

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Whenever I hear cheerleading competition, I think of Andrew. I miss the guy.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Speaking of Andrew, is he even alive anymore?  Has anyone talked to him at all during the last couple years?

-b0b
(...misses Pez and ODB.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Dude ODB was the king, I wish he'd come back.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 10:17am
Print Post  
ODB rocked.  It was always nice to have a hardcore liberal that could validate their opinions with reason and logic.  He provided a solid counterbalance for my conservative rhetoric.

-b0b
(...wonders if he is still on AIM?)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
HA HA NOW HOW ABOUT THIS?!

Quote:
Boys try to join girls' teams following human-rights ruling
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 | 10:28 AM CT
CBC News

As two Winnipeg sisters find out Tuesday if they've made the boys' hockey team at their high school, their recent human-rights victory has spurred boys to try out for girls' sports teams.

Morris Glimcher, executive director of the Manitoba High Schools Athletic Association, said Tuesday that several requests from boys wanting to play on girls' teams started coming shortly after the ruling was handed down on Friday.

"We've had five requests already from boys saying: 'In the past, we haven't been eligible. But my school doesn't have a boys' team and we have a girls' team and we'd like to play,' " Glimcher said Tuesday.

"Now that the rule has come down, I guess what they're saying [is] if it's gender equity, then let's make it gender equity. And that's the general theme of the calls that I've been getting."

Glimcher said the five requests came from boys who want to play on girls' volleyball, basketball, curling and fastball teams. He said all of the requests so far have been serious requests from boys or their coaches.

'If we get four guys or five guys going out for the [girls'] basketball team, there's four or five females that won't make the team.'-Morris Glimcher

He described one call "from one young fellow who [was] just very honest, and he said: 'You know what? We're not good enough to make the varsity basketball team. But the girls' basketball … have a smaller ball and we think we could make that team.'

"He said, 'I don't know if we would start but we just love basketball and want to play and we think we could make the girls' team,' " Glimcher said.

On Friday, independent adjudicator Lynne Harrison ruled that twin sisters Amy and Jesse Pasternak, 17, suffered sex discrimination from an MHSAA policy that denied them the opportunity in 2004 to try out for the senior boys' hockey team at West Kildonan Collegiate.

The Pasternak sisters have played hockey since childhood and have been on boys' minor hockey teams outside school before.

The MHSAA's policy required athletes to play on teams of their own gender if teams for both genders exist at a school. In her decision, Harrison said that policy was discriminatory and could not be justified.

Harrison ordered the MHSAA to lift the policy in question, as well as compensate the girls $3,500 each in damages and provide them with coaching to help them prepare for tryouts this month.

The Pasternaks should find out Tuesday if they have indeed made the boys' team.

Glimcher said the requests from boys will be refused until the association holds its next board meeting, likely on Oct. 12. At that time, the organization will review the ruling and consult legal counsel on whether to appeal.

"I say up until now, our rules are going to remain status quo in that they're not eligible," he said.

With the exception of the Pasternaks, Glimcher said the association is waiting until its board meeting to discuss how it will handle cases of other girls wanting to join boys' teams.

"We have to see as a board what we want to do. Our big concern is how this whole thing could affect female participation in sport," he said.

"If we get four guys or five guys going out for the [girls'] basketball team, there's four or five females that won't make the team — and I dare say a bunch of other ones aren't going to compete — and we could end up with some female teams being made up of mostly men.

"We worked very, very hard to promote and build up female participation in sports," Glimcher added.

"Everything that our organization has done … is based gender-equal. And if we all of a sudden get an influx of males participating, it could affect female participation and that would be a travesty."

I like how some guy wanted to be on a girl's curling team.  Also, why is there only a girl's curling team?  I also like the kid who said they sucked too much for boys basketball and could make the girls team.

I think this falls under the "fair is fair" ruling?  No?

X
(Loves the final quote in the story)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 8:19am
Print Post  
I think I would've found a bunch of guys to join the girls team just out of spite.  Sooner or later, I have a feeling a law will be passed to pre-empt this judicial nonsense.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
While I agree with you to the utmost, bob, that judges should leave the lawmaking to the legislative (and I think any judge who makes new law should be thrown off the bench right away), I must ask a philisophic question.  Durkheim once responded to this same criticism that Bork said..."How can judges stop from granting new rights?  If a judge rules in favor of a case that grants someone liberty, doesn't that mean that the judge has granted a new right to that person and people like him/her?" (Very much paraphrased...the original was like 5 pages long.)  So for example, a judge found that a black person had to be given a fair trail because of the due process claud of the 5th and 14th Amendements.  Yet, state and let's say even federal law said "white people have to be given a fair trial".  Isn't it true that by following the Constitution, the judge is granting a right to black people without the legislative passing a law to strike "white" from their law?

An interesting dilema.

X

IP Logged

texfrost
GeekCrew Hax0r

Two Laps

Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2006 at 12:39am
Print Post  
If I lived in Canada, I'd call and tell them I wanted to run Womens XC, along with a few friends of mine, because we aren't good enough to compete at Nationals in Mens XC.  Womens XC is so freaking easy...but I digress, well, for that part.

I knew this was coming.  It doesn't surprise me that they aren't letting guys play on the girls teams either, which I think they should since they made the ruling that they did.  They should have seen it coming.  Its kinda like, der, what'd you expect?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint