Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic My Speeding Ticket(need X's advice) (Read 11303 times)
Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

My Speeding Ticket(need X's advice)
Sep 25th, 2006 at 10:13pm
Print Post  
Well, I was sitting at the intersection of US131 and Shaver Rd. at a red light facing North on US131.  The officer was the third car in front of me as we head North.  I set my cruise control at 73 as I follow him and the two cars between us.  My vehicle speeds up, but only about 1mph because the cruise control was applied.  My speedometer reads 74, boarderline 75.  The cars are all traveling in the left lane and I get close to the car in front of me, causing me to enter the right lane.  After about 6 miles(according to mapquest.com) my rear bumper is now even with the officer's front bumper.  He speeds up a touch to  go the same speed as me, then pulls me over.

I BEARLY got passed him, maybe I was traveling 1-2mph faster than him.  It just took a long time to get by.

He walks up to my car and says, "Speed limit not fast enough for you today?  I'm gonna right you a speeding ticket, license and registration please.  Its not smart to pass a fully marked police car like that."

After he writes the ticket for 75 I ask him what speed he and the cars following him were traveling.  He said 70.  Now there was no way I was going 5 mph faster than him and those cars.  Maybe my speedometer displays speeds faster than what I am really travelling.  If he was going 70 and I was going 72, I don't see much cause in giving me a ticket for 2 over.

I am fighting the ticket now because:
1.)  the officer slightly sped up to me, before pulling me over which leads me to believe that he used his car's speedometer rather than his radar gun to determine my speed.
2.) I hope he doesn't show up.

Any other tips on fighting the ticket would be very helpful.

AIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: My Speeding Ticket(need X's advice)
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2006 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
just showing up when fighting will most likely get you the points written off, even if you have to pay the fine. And hey, he may not show up and you wont pay anything or get points...huzzah!

he sounded like he was new, and wanted to screw with someone.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 12:10am
Print Post  
If the cop does show up, punch him in the face.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 12:36am
Print Post  
Ok first of all, if you say in court you were going 73 MPH in a 70 MPH zone...you're going to loose.  Even if the officer was speeding, he can pass it off as neccessary.

Second, he doesn't have to use a radar gun in order to say you were speeding.  Matching your car's speed is enough.  If it's a state cop then you don't have to worry about video, since they don't have it.  However, if they do, you're screwed there too.

Third, I wouldn't try the defense of "going with the flow of traffic" because the officer can say he was using discretion and pulled you over when he could have easily pulled over all those others.

Four, why the heck did you pass a marked police car?  Why not just slow down.  Be like every other driver and just go the speed limit when you're around a cop.

Fifth, don't count on him not showing up.  That rarely happens.  Usualy your best bet to have an officer not show up is to get a ticket during the summer or hollidays.  You can call up the office where he's from and pretend to be someone who knows him and ask if he's working that day.  If he is, he's going to get paid to be in court.

Sixth, don't listen to Briney.  If you speed you will get points on your licence.  HOWEVER, if this is your first ticket, then you can ask for driving school.  Too bad you didn't speed in St. Joe County because everyone is guarenteed at least one.  But, I doubt you'll win this and yes you will get points.  It's the law, the judge must give them to you.  I know there are a few judges who are knocking the offense down so that it's unsafe driving practices which is just a fine and no points, but that's against the statues to do.  Also, he was no new...you did something stupid...you passed and sped past a marked police car.  You say that if he was driving 70 you were driving 72.  You don't think he should right you for 2 over.  Yet if you look at your ticket you'll notice the speed LIMIT is 70 not 72.  Limit means you can't go over that speed.  He could have even written you a ticket if you were doing 70 and say it was raining.

I do have to say, most of the officers I know who work for the State PD aren't like that and would just pull you over and run you for warrents.  This guy was probably from the White Pigeon post...they're all mean jerks, well not all.  They love the stretch of 131 that runs from the TR city limits all the way to W. Michigan.

The moral of the story is you're probably going to loose but I would ask the judge for traffic school if you haven't had a ticket and/or haven't done it before.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 12:59am
Print Post  
patrick, i have gotten the points not added to my licence TWICE... i have challenged tickets, twice. just by showing up and challenging the ticket, you are better off than taking it up the pooper. When challenging your not up on the dang bench pleading your case, you go in a seperate room with the judge and you talk to him about it.

so yea you dont ALWAYS get points on your licence, just be honest and dont be a douche to the judge, theyve heard it all.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Well you got lucky Briney.  That's awesome.

I can't believe that the judge had the time to take you into a "seperate room" he he what did you DO FOR HIM BACK THERE HUH?!

But I have to agree with Briney.  Be honest cause you don't realize how nervous you are until you're standing there in front of them.  And yes, don't be a douche he he...they think they've heard it all.  Although there's always room for improvement.

That's weird you didn't get points Briney...what did the judge say?  Of course this is St. Joe county courts, but still...MI law is the same all over the state.  That's really weird.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 8:34am
Print Post  
I agree with Briney, fight the ticket.  However, this comes with two caveats..

1)  Police car speedometers are certified, just like radar guns.  It is perfectly acceptable for a police officer to "match speed" with you and write a ticket based on his speedometer.  His speed is also recorded on his dashcam for that extra degree of verification.

2)  Although it is highly unlikely, the judge can tack on court costs to your ticket.  These typically run from $75 to $250.  That would make an expensive ticket even more expensive.

3)  If I was a police officer that was driving the speed limit and someone passed me, I'd probably give them a ticket, too.

-b0b
(...suggests taking this with a grain of salt.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Actually the judge cannot tack on court expensives when you first fight it.  However if he rules against you and you appeal that your case goes to a higher court at which time you might, MIGHT, have court expensives tacked on.

Also I didn't say you shouldn't fight the ticket...I was just saying it was hard to win.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2006 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Wow, you learn something new every day!

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Someone told me that an officer has to calibrate their radar gun every 24 hrs, which may apply with the speedometer as well.

It was a county cop and it feels like the reason he pulled me over was purely because I passed him.  Its not against the law to pass a cop, he even wrote it on the ticket as a remark.  "Passed patrol car" but that excuse has no pull with the courts because I was speeding.

Maybe the judge will realize that the 2mph difference does not add any more danger to myself and the vehicles around me.  Aren't speeding tickets for 5mph or less very rare?

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Someone told me that an officer has to calibrate their radar gun every 24 hrs, which may apply with the speedometer as well.

The only ones they have to calibrate are the shoulder mounted ones that officers use for out of car speed "traps".  The dashboard ones need to be calibrated but only as required by state law (I think every 6 months).  You can ask for, although the officer will probably already provide to the court evidence of, calibration of the speedometer.  Yet I think they services the vehicles every 6 months anyways.  If he wasn't wearing his hat you could say that the officer wasn't in complete uniform.  That actually happend to a few cases I know about.  The judge let the person off because the officer didn't wear his hat. Lol.

Quote:
It was a county cop and it feels like the reason he pulled me over was purely because I passed him.  Its not against the law to pass a cop, he even wrote it on the ticket as a remark.  "Passed patrol car" but that excuse has no pull with the courts because I was speeding.

You are correct that passing patrol car isn't illegal.  Yet the officer did that to remind HIM of who you were.  State police pull over a lot of people, shoot any officer pulls over a lot of people.  Court times can be anytime from a day to a week away.  That means a lot more stops and incident in between.  It's like asking a fast food worker about a specific order a week ago.  That note makes it easier for them to remember.  Although it's best not to tell the officer if you're going to fight it or not, or give the presence of you will likely fight it.  Cause if they feel you will, they will make scrupulous (he he great word) notes of the back of their carbon copy.  If the officer doesn't have a dashboard cam (state officers don't) then he can't use that to refresh his memory.  So if he can't remember the details, you'll probably win.

Quote:
Maybe the judge will realize that the 2mph difference does not add any more danger to myself and the vehicles around me.  Aren't speeding tickets for 5mph or less very rare?

I highly doubt the judge will throw out your ticket because you were 2 MPH over the speed limit.  That judge you will see is handling all cases of those fighting speeding tickets that day and he can be in a good mood...or a bad mood.  Usually the judge will carry the penalty because he doesn't want to be known by the officers as throwing out their tickets (which looks bad for officers when their COs look at their record).  This is all part of a theory called the courtroom workgroup that is pretty interesting but doesn't help you too much right there.

It's true that speeding tickets for 5 MPH are rare.  Usually the policy is 6 over and with state on I-94 and most of the time on 131 it's 80-90 MPH (80 if it's a slow day).  Yet you have to think...the speed LIMIT...is the LIMIT of what SPEED you can legally drive.  Therefore even if you were over 0.00000001 MPH you'd still be driving illegally.  I just think the cop had a superiority complex and didn't like you passing him as a person of authority that "you must respect".

X
(Ya got $40,000 education!!!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I just think the cop had a superiority complex and didn't like you passing him as a person of authority that "you must respect".

ya unless lots of others were passing him, i wouldnt have done it. Flow of traffic here in detroit is usually 5-10 higher than the speed limit. (55 on a freeway wtf?)

And yea when i went to court to challenge mine, they said courtroom 1. I went in and it was a full blown movie style courtroom minus all the nice hardwood. I sat in back watching robbery, domestic dispute, and assualt and attempted murder people come before the judge. So I was a bit worried that I was slated to go somewhere in between them and have to make my case in front of the entire packed courtroom. But thankfully he called for a break and said all traffic cases will be taken in is office and the bailiff... or someone like that would call us in one by one.

Whew. Cause i had just spend the last 30 minutes thinking of all the stuff I would have to say: Defendent, who is your legal council? Myself, your honor. You stand accused of speeding, how do you plead?

Ha! man I was scared.

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
So give us the full story of your fight Briney!

X

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
Wow, actually the officer was NOT wearing his hat because I remember he was bald.  How would I go about mentioning this to the judge, is there a written statement somewhere that I could reference?

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2006 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
No offense, but that's pretty thin, and making a statement about the officer's hat (or the lack thereof) would probably only serve to draw the judge's ire.

-b0b
(...could be wrong, of course.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint