Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Random Stupidity (Read 402694 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Random Stupidity
Reply #2295 - Nov 21st, 2016 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
So, this is happening...  Cars 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4K7JgPJ8-s

-b0b
(...why?)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2296 - Nov 22nd, 2016 at 6:34am
Print Post  
I'm with you!  WHY?!  The lowest grossing movie in Pixar history and the lowest received of all time.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2297 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Episode VIII has an official title:

Meredith and I finally got around to watching Rogue One on Sunday.  I thought it was passingly decent, but Meredith absolutely hated it.  We both thought the character development was virtually non-existent, and I found the extremely brief backstory between Jyn and Saw Gerrera to be completely unnecessary and ham-handed.

-b0b
(...thinks the Empire needs to hire a better storage engineer.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #2298 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Rogue One was alright.  I thought they did an ok job given how many rewrites and reshoots they did on that movie, reportedly.

It wasn't nearly as good as the Force Awakens, but being as it was a spinoff movie I never expected it to be.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2299 - Mar 20th, 2017 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
I'm standing up a new datacenter for work and I just realized all of the equipment names start with VAG WES.  What a glorious day...

-b0b
(...thinks that would make a good license plate.)

SwitchName.jpg ( 3 KB | 282 Downloads )
SwitchName.jpg

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #2300 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 10:23am
Print Post  
I really hate you bob.

I have a question though.

Have any of you watched the new Mystery Science Theater?  I've been debating starting it on Netflix, but I have such little time these days I'm not sure if I should even bother.  It seems to be getting ok reviews but I trust you guys more.

I'd like to imagine Patsy has already watched it yes?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2301 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
I haven't watched it yet.  Meredith has watched a couple episodes and seems to like it so far.

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2302 - Jun 20th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I'm only half way.

It's fine and all.  And sadly that's all I can say about it.  Some of the movies are good and some are good bad.

The voices of the bots sounds too similar and their personalities didn't continue from the last series.  So they almost don't even need to be robots.  Jonah Ray is fine but he doesn't have too much personality like Joel or Mike did.

I'll still watch it but I'm not super obsessed with it.

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2303 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Just an FYI, if you've download the next big update for Windows 10:

Check your power settings especially on your network items.  Windows decided to let itself turn it off and I was loosing connection every night.

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2304 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 1:19am
Print Post  
CrashPlan is screwing over its Home users.

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for being a CrashPlan® for Home customer. We're honored that you’ve trusted us to protect your data.

It's because of this trust that we want you to know that we have shifted our business strategy to focus on the enterprise and small business segments. This means that over the next 14 months we will be exiting the consumer market and you must choose another option for data backup before your subscription expires. We are committed to providing you with an easy and efficient transition.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU
We will honor your existing CrashPlan for Home subscription, keeping your data safe, as always, until your current subscription expires.

To allow you time to transition to a new backup solution, we've extended your subscription (at no cost to you) by 60 days. Your new subscription expiration date is 11/25/2017.

YOUR CHOICES
Your first step is to consider the options below, available exclusively for CrashPlan for Home customers. Once you make your selection, no further action is required until your new expiration date. We will send you reminders well before your CrashPlan for Home subscription ends.
Option 1
CRASHPLAN - For Small Business

Migrate to CrashPlan for Small Business in a Matter of Minutes

If you're a small business, freelancer or just getting your side hustle on, quickly move your data* into CrashPlan for Small Business for the remainder of your current subscription for free. After that, enjoy 75% off the regular price for the next 12 consecutive months. Get unlimited backup at an affordable monthly price and access our intuitive administration console for managing multiple users.
CLICK TO GET CRASHPLAN FOR SMALL BUSINESS
Option 2
Carbonite

If You're Backing Up Home Computers, Easily Start Up With Carbonite

We've selected Carbonite as our exclusive partner for home users. Like CrashPlan, Carbonite provides automatic and continuous backup for all of your important files. Carbonite is also recognized for its complimentary award-winning customer support. Carbonite is offering a 50% discount on their Home and Core plans, exclusively for CrashPlan for Home users. The Carbonite and CrashPlan for Home support teams are aligned to make your transition to Carbonite quick and easy.
GET CARBONITE WITH EXCLUSIVE OFFER!
If you take no action, we will honor the remainder of your subscription and then securely delete your backup.

If you have any additional questions, please refer to our Consumer Information Page. And thank you, again, for being a CrashPlan for Home customer.

Sincerely,
Joe Payne, President and CEO of Code42

*If you’re currently using CrashPlan for Home to back up to another computer, your computer-to-computer backup will be deleted once you convert. You’ll need to take action to preserve these archives prior to converting to CrashPlan for Small Business. You can migrate your cloud backups up to 5 TB per device. Some restrictions may apply. Click here to learn more.

I wouldn't mind too much switching to the business one since I've got a business but I'm over the 5TB max they're willing to switch over.

Backblaze seems to be where most people are going and they're smart as they've created a landing page - https://www.backblaze.com/blog/crashplan-alternative-backup-solution/

They don't support NAS but they do support Synology which I have.

I'm still looking into everything and have some time but it looks like I'll switch so I have some overlap.

Anyone else in my boat?

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2305 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
I'm in the same boat.  I've got until March to migrate to a different provider.  Unfortunately, all of my options suck.

At the moment, I've got 10 clients and approximately 30TB at CrashPlan.  Nobody provides truly unlimited cloud storage anymore (which makes sense, enterprise-grade storage is spendy).  I am currently paying ~$150 per year for CrashPlan's 10-client unlimited storage package.

CrashPlan Pro - $10 per system per month, or $1,200 per year for 10 computers.  Keeps 5TB of your data in the CrashPlan cloud, need to re-upload the rest.  Also, no local backups, which means running a separate app for local backups.
BackBlaze Backup - $5 per system per month, or $600 per year for 10 computers.  Again, no local backups.
BackBlaze B2 - $5.12 per TB per month, or $1,843 per year for 30TB
Amazon Glacier - $4.10 per TB per month, or $1,476 per year for 30TB
Microsoft Azure - $10.24 per TB per month, or $3,686 per year for 30TB

At this point, I think my only option is to stop backing up the FTP data.  I could probably protect everything else at about 5TB.  With BackBlaze B2, that would be $300 per year, which is still double what I'm paying now for 10% of the capacity.

-b0b
(...bah!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2306 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 3:11am
Print Post  
So do you think staying with CrashPlan is worth it or is trying BackBlaze which doesn't use Java seem best? 

I hate how bad CP's program is.  However, when I had a HD fail on me it did a great job at back up.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2307 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
I don't think it's worth it to me.  You could try to consolidate all of your backups on one system, and pay $10/mo to back up that system, but it's a huge PITA.  Also, the lack of local backups is a deal-breaker for me.  Why the heck would I want to run two separate backup applications to perform the same task?

If you only need to back up critical data (e.g. documents, images, etc.), BackBlaze B2 is probably the best bet.  I've got some Azure credits, so I think I'm going to switch to Dupliciti + Azure and see how it works.

-b0b
(...still has 6 months of CrashPlan, so no rush.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2308 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Hmm...$120/year for CP and I'm already banking 5TB - gah! that might be the way to go for me with just one computer.

Also, I feel bad because I was running back up locally with another program already ha ha.

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2309 - Sep 19th, 2017 at 5:00am
Print Post  
I ended up pulling the trigger on CrashPlan Pro.  The deal was good enough with the discount for another year.

The very frowny face part was as I was migrating my 5TB over our power went out - and there went 4.5TB of free transfer over.  So now I'll be working at getting all my stuff backed up within the year...AGAIN.

CrashPlan ticket said I was SOL.

CP Pro program seems a bit more stable and less memory intensive although it still is a bit.

The system we set up to have the network drives act like regular ones is still in place so that all worked out.

X

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 
Send TopicPrint