Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 155 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Random Stupidity (Read 402696 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Random Stupidity
Reply #30 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 11:03am
Print Post  
From GamePolitics.com...

Quote:
Online Too Long? XP minus 100... Equipped Items Suffer 10% Damage

If you plan to be game-addicted in the People's Republic of China, you're going to do so with a gimped character.

So say new regulations that went into effect this week. Xinhua is reporting that online gamers will be penalized for playing more than three hours at a stretch. A two-hour break is mandated between gaming sessions.

Designed to combat growing fears of online game addiction, the new law targets 11 of the most popular titles, including World of Warcraft and The Legend of Mir II, but is expected to encompass all online games in the near future.

Players that exceed the legal time limit will see their characters punished by loss of experience points (XP) and in-game weapons. Stay online for five hours, and your character is reset to starter level.

"This timing mechanism can prevent young people from becoming addicted to online games," said Kou Xiaowei, the deputy director of China's Audiovisual and Internet Publication Department.

Gamers, naturally, don't care for the new regulations.

"It's absolutely a foolish decision," said 23-year old gamer Yankee Song, a World of Warcraft fan. "In the game, even a simple mission would take players three to five hours to finish and complex ones may take a whole day. After the system's implemented, players can achieve nothing in the game, and we will have no reason to play it anymore."

Another Chinese WoW devotee expressed confidence that hacks would be developed to trick in-game timers into thinking that players had logged off.

UPDATE: GP reader LitaGemini weighs in with some clarity as to what this issue may be all about: "Heard about this law at Futureplay (conference at Michigan State)... Often times the Chinese youth gather in cybercafes to play these games, and, in addition to gameplay, they're having discussion about real world political matters. The Chinese government therefore wants to limit their gameplay, which limits their cybercafe hours, which limits their political freedom. Tricky and insidious.

Only in China...

-b0b
(...or maybe Kalifornistan.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #31 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
What, are they trying to start a revolt? Limit Gamer's playing time and you will have one!!!!

The horror!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #32 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Yanno, I really couldn't blame the WoW administration if they set a flat time limit on the game for Chinese players, but to go to the extremes of programming additional features like XP loss, weapon loss, and a total character reset is just ridiculous.  I realize WoW is probably making some serious cash over in China, but to bend over backwards like that is demeaning.

-b0b
(...wishes there was a World of WarHammer.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #33 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Well they are a global business. They have to abide by the laws that are set down by the country that they operate in. Guess thats why ye olde Bill Gates bent over backwords to make Microsoft monitoring programs for them. Of course they are going to obey the laws, they aren't going to try to hold on to U.S. morals or laws. Can't make money that way.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #34 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 3:36pm
Print Post  
The Archimedes Death Ray!

http://web.mit.edu/2.009/www/lectures/10_ArchimedesResult.html

It looks like Myth Busters was probably wrong.

-b0b
(...still thinks Archimedes made it up.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #35 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
That was the hotness. All we need is a smaller version and I can go around lighting buildings on fire! Woot!

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #36 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
http://www.globalnewsmatrix.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3143

Interesting lil article about this "Bird Flu Pandemic"

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #37 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 8:43am
Print Post  
The beginning of the end for easy piracy?

Quote:
"Disney is continuing their war against piracy. To their Oscar reviewers they now send out special encrypted DVDs, which can be played only on a DVD player of the "Cinea" series. From the article: "The DVD players are encoded with recipients' names, and screeners sent to those people are specifically encrypted so they can be seen only on those particular DVD players." Yet, Disney is alone on this. Sony and Universal Pictures said they won't follow that step."

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/25/0034224&from=rss

-b0b
(...thinks this could be bad.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #38 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Will never happen.  First...if you can read it...you can copy it.  Second you would have to give everyone that special DVD player and that means every home and computer.  Third, this is what pirates are talking about.  They want to be able to watch THEIR OWN movies in any format and do anything to them they want.  Disney is just going to be wasting money and their reviews are going to go down because people are not going to be buying those things.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #39 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 10:18am
Print Post  
The idea is to safeguard screeners for reviewers and critcs, not to safeguard the final retail product.  I think the MPAA understands that protecting retail products is impossible, but they're trying to stop DVD-quality rips from hitting the Interweb before the retail DVD hits the store shelves.

-b0b
(...thinks so, anyway.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #40 - Oct 25th, 2005 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Those lovable Islamic Jihadists are at it again...

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-10/25/content_487595.htm

Three car bombs, including one rather sizable one, rocked the journalist stronghold in Iraq, the Baghdad Hotel.

-b0b
(...thinks suicide bombing is the ultimate act of self-criticism.)

PalestineHotel.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #41 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 3:16am
Print Post  
Remote Control Device 'Controls' Humans

Quote:
A special headset was placed on my cranium by my hosts during a recent demonstration at an NTT research center. It sent a very low voltage electric current from the back of my ears through my head — either from left to right or right to left, depending on which way the joystick on a remote-control was moved.

I found the experience unnerving and exhausting: I sought to step straight ahead but kept careening from side to side. Those alternating currents literally threw me off.

The technology is called galvanic vestibular stimulation — essentially, electricity messes with the delicate nerves inside the ear that help maintain balance.

I felt a mysterious, irresistible urge to start walking to the right whenever the researcher turned the switch to the right. I was convinced — mistakenly — that this was the only way to maintain my balance.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051026/ap_on_hi_te/remote_control_for_humans

Very interesting.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #42 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Stewie is going to have a field day with that one.

-b0b
(...prepares the soap box.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #43 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Steps up on to the soap box that is somehow there:

This will be great for our handlers when the New World Order is finally in place.  What better way to control a mass population of only 500 million people (they killed the rest with "vaccines" and other fun stuff)?  They took our rights, ney, we gave up our rights willingly.  We didn't fight to protect them.  We labled people that told us this day would come as "conspiracy nuts".  Now if I could stop from drooling and laugh I would.  They kept putting us into prison, kept making up laws that were grosely harsh.  They incarcerated the blacks, the the hispanics, then the poor, then the white middle class.  Now the elite sip expensive Don Perion from skulls that were used in the Cremation of Care to their Caninite god, Moleck, at the Bomehmian Grove.  Now they control our actions.  Thought crimes run rampant.  Children turn in their parents, neighbors turn in their neighbors, the family unit is just a distant memory.  Now they control our actions.  History is never wrong for these controllers.  There's a small resistantce of some group of people that want to take down our new god, the Supreme High Commander of Earth.  They say he's the antichrist...whatever that is.  They're just using the disappearence of all those people some time ago to promote a new religion.  Something about a one true God, and someone name Jebus...I think.  It doesn't matter they will fail.  Cause I think they might succeed...The All Seeing Eye may get me.  Well fellow Global Community member...I must go to work correcting the past so that it is correct with the "truth" of the present.  Also to your question you asked me yesterday.... 2 + 2 = 5

X
(steps down and walks into the shadows)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #44 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 11:39am
Print Post  
Using sense of balance to control peoples movement?  While diabolical that is fuckng GENIUS.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 155
Send TopicPrint