Normal Topic Vista (Read 12642 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Vista
Jan 29th, 2007 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
So Vista launches tomorrow for consumers. Before I even consider this, what do you have to say about it Bob? or anyone with the know, for that matter.I haven't done too much research on the subject, I figured you guys would know better. I waited a while before putting XP on the ol' machine, so I was wondering if that should be the plan now.

I think the plan is, when Bob goes Vista, I'll go.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Vista
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
If you wait on me, you'll be waiting for awhile.  I've messed around with the RTM version of Vista and it freakin' sucks.  Driver support is non-existent, games run 25-35% slower (because of an updated HAL so games no longer have direct access to the hardware), the OS is a resource hog, and it doesn't really bring anything new to the table.  Outside of a couple flashy enhancements to the desktop and explorer (which I disabled anyway because I'm old school) I see absolutely no reason to switch.

At the very least, I'd recommend waiting 3-4 months for hardware vendors to start shipping mature drivers for their hardware.  Because of the huge changes to the graphics substructure, video drivers are going to be slow in coming to fruition.

Have you read about the new graphics system yet?  Supposedly, it will prevent video card/driver crashes from wiping out the rest of the memory structure, thereby preventing catastrophic OS failures (i.e. BSoD's) and will allow video drives to be installed without requiring a reboot of the OS.  I, for one, will believe it when I see it.  Microsoft has made similar promised before - namely with Windows Server 2003 - and it still seems like I have to reboot my servers every time I install updates.

-b0b
(...is a skeptic.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
I feared as much. Oh well. I'm happy with Xp at the moment. I also heard Microsoft is not going to do huge new Operating Systems. They are going to focus on more online updates, and the like.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Microsoft contends that Vista is such a huge improvement over previous computing platforms that users inevitably say "Wow" when they see it. Gates ticked off some examples, such as how Vista presents a slick 3-D graphical user interface and document icons that give at-a-glance previews.

Interesting to note...both "examples" are just visual examples.  What is Microsoft trying to do?  Become Apple?!

Quote:
Vista comes as changing dynamics of computing — notably the rise of open-source software and Web-based services that replicate what traditionally could be done only on a desktop computer — are threatening Microsoft's dominance in the industry.

That is until Gates makes it incompatible.  Then they'll get sued...then nothing will happen to them.

Quote:
But Gates contended that the operating system has a higher profile than ever before, as the PC has morphed from a souped-up typewriter to a networked entertainment center, personal media library and gateway to the Internet.

"When people think about their PC, they think about Windows even more than who the manufacturer is," Gates told The Associated Press. "That determines how it looks, how you navigate, what the applications are that are available."

That is because Microsoft has such a strangle hold over the "competition" that I am force to say "competition".  Microsoft should just change its name to Ma-Bell-soft.  Then we'd pay attention and break it up!!!

X
(Article quotes came from a Yahoo News item...giving credit where credits due)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
http://www.yahoo.com/s/494386

Hopefully that video link works...if not the video can be seen on Yahoo's site.  It's a preview of what Vista looks like...also an AP reporter is talking about it.

Funny...she mentions the LOOK of it and the increase security.  Maybe if Microsoft actually took the time to build a whole new OS instead of using the same setup from 1.0 then they wouldn't have to worry about too many of these flaws.  Also they should contract to hackers in the real world to try and break it and then fix it..instead of suing people who tell them about flaws.

I know...a pipe dream.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Increased security?  Pssh.  Every major release of Windows since 3.11 for Workgroups has touted "increased security," and look where we are today.

Vista is nothing but a bunch of Apple-esque eye candy tacked onto an existing OS with a couple of variations in graphics and networking substructures.  Nothing to see here, move along...

-b0b
(...whatever.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
haha it cost Microsoft 6 billion to develop.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2007 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
Yes, and a good portion of that was wasted on technologies that never even shipped with the operating system.  WinFS, anyone?  All of the noteworthy elements of Vista were ditched 18-24 months ago.

-b0b
(...laments WinFS.  Maybe next time.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2007 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know how much or how many units were sold the first day?  Or do we have to wait for the first week or month to find out?

X

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
how about the bit-locker that encodes your hard drive?  I kind of like that feature.

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #10 - Feb 1st, 2007 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
It's simply a user-friendly version of Encrypting File System, which has been around since Windows 2000.  I've been using it in corporate environments since 2003.  It's nothing new.

-b0b
(...uses EFS on lots of stuff.)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Someone down the hall had the install CD, so I thought I would try it.  This is the Business version.  You can install the program without the key for 30 days (so if any one has a crack please let me know)  Without a good video on my system card the OS looks like a suped up version of XP.  The Aero theme isn't even shown under my options.

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
98% cpu usage? whats that all about

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
Does it have the option to change everything back to the Classic version...eg before XP look?

http://www.break.com/index/how_to_properly_load_vista.html

X

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #14 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 2:52am
Print Post  
ouch!

By the way, it does have the feature to revert back to windows classic.
« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2007 at 11:56am by computerjuvenile »  

WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #15 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Bahaha, Stewie that's classic!

-b0b
(...would love to load Vista on that machine.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #16 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Quote:
By the way, it does have the feature to revert back to windows classic.

No Vista for me!!!

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #17 - Feb 3rd, 2007 at 6:48pm
Print Post