Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Computer Questions (Read 72192 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Computer Questions
Feb 14th, 2007 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
I figure since we haven't started any new threads I'd start a new one that could be helpful to others.

Ok so I've been updating everything, except for BIOS since I have no XP boot disk (yes I know...shame on me).  By everything I mean chipset, Processor, Graphics Card, Audio, etc.  Well on my update I think my comp might have crashed while installing something to do with the network card.  It didn't work when I restarted twice.  So I rolled back the driver and it works fine now.

My question is...would there be some update extremely important to the NIC that I should try and update again or would it not make much of a difference.

Thanks for the help,
X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Keledin
GeekCrew n00b

Re: Computer Questions
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 5:03am
Print Post  
I can only think of one example where standard drivers don't work with a NIC.  My opinion is if updating them caused your NIC to fail then using the old drivers until something doesn't work with them(and can be traced directly back to a NIC issue) would be your best course until they release a new revision for your drivers.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Generally speaking, unless there is a security issue with your existing NIC, upgrading the drivers on a fully functional NIC is pointless.  Driver/BIOS updates for NIC's typically consist of compatibility fixes for specific hardware configurations.  If your NIC is functioning properly, there is really no need to update your drivers.

-b0b
(...true, true.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Thanks gentlemen!

X

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
hmmmm...

I got a question.  Since you guys created this thread and all.  I did my taxes the other day, and it looks like I'll have some money to spend.  I wanted to get away from my insufficient (hellish) integrated video card, and get an actual card.  What do you guys think of the GeForce 7600 GT?  Is there a better card I should get?   I want to keep the price under $150.

- Atteberry

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Well first of all think you're going to be able to keep it under $150 since the cheapest one I found was $129.  That is not to say that the GeForce 7600 GT is overly cheap and worthless it runs from about $120 to up to $180.

It's different than the more expensive cards in the series by giving it only half as many pixel pipelines and half the memory bus width.  But a higher core and memory bus speed is still pretty good.

The lower power requirement also has a nice benefit - it doesn't need or come with a PCI Express power connector. This means you can most probably use your old PSUs, even if you want to run two cards in SLI.  But if you're going to run two of them might as well go for GeForce 7900 GT.

But I believe that for the price the 7600 is definitely worth it.  Also if you're into over clocking this card, I've read that it doesn't do very well.  So that's just a warning in case you wanted to.

NVidia said it's made for Windows Vista but I only see that DirectX 9 comes with it and no side not saying that it will work with DirectX10 when it comes out.  I don't know if that would make a difference seeing that DirectX 10 won't be mainstream for a while, I could be wrong on that though.  But if it was made for Vista then I would assume that when DX10 comes out it'll be fine.

The one thing I find odd that stacking up the 7600 and the 7900 the Core speed is higher by almost 100 MHz.

As for gaming the 7600 with SLI does excellent with high end games.  FPS on Far Cry averaged around 59.  And without the SLI it still does well averaging 36 (this is with all options turned on to the best of the best graphics).

The weight of the card is nice as well.  I'm glad NVIDIA has done away with the huge metal cooling fans and gone to more of an aluminum compound.  It's very light weight, and much more light weight than some of the older cards.

I say get the card...but shop around cause I think you'll find one for under way under $150.  I suggest NewEgg.  They would have the best deals for ya.

Enjoy and remember...this is just your average geek's opinion.  I could be wrong.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
The 7xxx series is most definitely not DirectX 10 compatible.  Even if it was, I can pretty much guarantee the rest of your computer would asplode if you even tried to install a DirectX 10 game.

-b0b
(...is in the same boat.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2007 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Well that stinks.  Why does the manufacture say that it's built for Vista but not going to be compatible with DX10.  Seems kinda stupid.  If that's the case then I see no point for them to tell people they've built the card for Vista.

X
(odd)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Vista supports dx9 cards(fact) but I don't think you will be able to have the fancy gui. (just a guess)

The cheapest dx10 card you can get today is the 8800GTS which is one step under the 8800GTX.  The GTS still runs you around $450.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2007 at 11:17am
Print Post  
Those prices will plummet as soon as ATI gets a DirectX 10 card on the market.  There are only two DX10 cards on the market, and they're both from nVidia.  That skews the price range a bit.

-b0b
(...nods.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #10 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 3:05am
Print Post  
I wonder who would buy either of those cards when DX10 isn't out yet nor do we know the full impact it will have on systems?

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2007 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Ok guys (and girls) I'm looking for a USB front panel port for the parent's computer such as this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815150025

I was wondering what needed this device needed to connect inside the computer. I see the product manufacture says "One available internal USB 2.0 (type A) port" however my computer does not have an internal USB connector. However it does have one on the outside. I don't believe that one is a USB 2.0 port. Would this device still work if I connected it a) in the outside USB port and b) if it's not a USB 2.0 port? Also does the smaller end of the USB cord connect into the back portion of the internal card and then the larger end into the motherboard port? The pictures aren't the best so I can't see for sure.

Thanks for the help.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #12 - Feb 18th, 2007 at 11:49am
Print Post  
I'm not aware of any computer that has an internal USB port.  What you need is a real breakout box that has a USB connect, the square 8-pin jobby that every motherboard should have 2-6 of.

-b0b
(...nods.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
I'm not sure I understand.  I looked up breakout box and what I found doesn't look familiar to me.  Also what square 8-pin jobby? 

X
(Sorry ....  Cry ...don't understand)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2007 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
In technical terms, that USB doohicky probably has some wires hooked to it with a square doojobby thing on the end.  I think that it will connect to some place on the motherbarbie.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Send TopicPrint