Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New Toys! (Read 6912 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

New Toys!
Mar 31st, 2007 at 10:47am
Print Post  
I've added two more rifles to my collection over the past month, and I thought I would share pictures!

The first addition to the family is my second SKS.  The SKS is a semi-automatic rifle in 7.62x39mm caliber with an integrated magazine.  This was the rifle Russia manufactured immediately after World War II.  It was the primary service rifle of Russia (and other soviet countries) from 1945 through ~1956, when it was replaced by the AK-47.  Russia gave the design specs to all Soviet countries and other communist nations (namely China and North Vietnam).  This particular specimen is Chinese in manufacture, similar to my other SKS.

This SKS was an unexpected Christmas gift from Meredith's stepfather.  He's a retired mechanic that works at a gun store "for fun" in North Carolina.  He sent firearms as belated Christmas presents for Meredith, her brother John, and myself.  Anyway, without further adieu, here's the gun!

Here she is in all her glory.  It took awhile to clean her up and get everything oiled, but she should be ready for shooting!

The SKS came without a bayonet spike, so I picked one up at a gun show a couple weeks back.  It looks great with it!

Since I already have a Chinese SKS, I think this is going to be my "project gun."  The wooden hand guard on the top of the gun has been replaced by a Bakelite hand guard that I'm not very fond of, so I think I'm going to replace the entire stock with a composite set.  The new stock will have a collapsible buttstock and will allow the SKS to accept detachable 20-round mags instead of the built-in 10-round mag.  I haven't decided what color I want yet (probably black) but here's a desert tan version...

For a new stock, hand guard, and one magazine, it'll cost about $160.

Once I get the project underway, I'll let you guys know how it goes.  I'll be sure to take lots of pictures!

-b0b
(...next post, next gun!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Guns, Guns, GUNS!
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Alright, next gun!  I went to the Grand Rapids Gun & Knife Show with Meredith and a couple friends of ours a few weeks back and dropped some hard-earned cash on an impulse buy.  It's not often that I buy things on impulse, but I always try to set aside a few bucks whenever I go to a gun show in case I see something I absolute must have.

Well, as luck would have it, I came across a gun that I couldn't possibly pass up.  One of the vendors had a freshly-opened crate of Russian M44 Mosin-Nagant Carbines.  The Mosin-Nagant is a bolt-action rifle with a 5-round magazine that was used by the Russkies from the 1890's through the end of World War II.  Officially, it stuck around as a sniper rifle until the mid-1960's, when it was finally replaced by the Dragunov sniper rifle.

The M44 is a "carbine" version of the Mosin-Nagant, meaning it is shorter than the standard rifle.  The M44 was designed to be used by paratroopers, tank crews, and other soldiers that couldn't easily carry a full-sized rifle.

This is easily the cheapest firearm I've ever bought, and I think it might be end up being one of my best gun-related purchases.  There were 40 rifles to choose from for $89.99 each.  I was able to handpick the one I wanted and even managed to talk the dealer down to $80.00.  It came with a sling, oil canister, and ammo pouch.  Anyway, here it is.

Here's the M44 with the bayonet folded back.  The M44 was intended to be shot with the bayonet extended, which tells you a lot about Russian military mindset during World War II.

Here's another picture with the bayonet extended.  Come get some!

I took it to the range last weekend with Spanky, Meredith, and Mike and we had a blast (get it?)!  Every shot erupted with a massive fireball.  Here I am loading a few rounds into the magazine.

Alright, let's do this!

Spanky and Mike strike a pose with the M44!

Mike looking Stoic.

I'm going to get in trouble for this one.

Here's Mike taking a shot.  I couldn't get a picture of the fireball that accompanied each shot, but I did take some video that shows the glorious flames.  I'll post them when I get home tonight.

Mike brought out his Glock .45.  You can see the Spankinator holding one of the mags in his hand, but I have no clue what the two of them were doing in this photo.

I elect Craig for the BEST EXPRESSION EVARRRRR award!  I'm shooting the M44, Spanky has the Glock .45, and Mike is throwing a piece of wood at the target.  Yeah...

Here's one last picture of the M44 with Craig grinning like a retard.  W00t!

-b0b
(...will post videos later.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: New Toys!
Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 11:37am
Print Post  

Here's an ammunition comparison to show how hardcore the M44 is.  From top to bottom...

• 7.62x54R, Russia's primary caliber from 1891 through 1947.  This thing packs one heck of a wallop.
  • 7.62x51mm, also known as .308 Winchester.  I don't own a firearm in this caliber, but Mike's FN-FAL accepts it.
  • 7.62x39mm, Russia's primary caliber since the end of WW2.  Used in my AK47 and both SKS's.
  • 5.56x45mm NATO, also known as .223 Remington.  This is America's primary military caliber, used in the AR-15 and M16.

As you can see, the 7.62x54R is one heck of a big round.  Since the M44 is a carbine, it kicks even harder than it would in a full size rifle.  If you look closely at pictures of the M44 you'll notice it only has a piece of sheet metal for a buttplate, so you can really feel it when you shoot that baby.

-b0b
(...w00tsauce.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Spanks is such a tool.  Seriously Smiley

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2007 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
I've been thinking about investing in a .223 rifle, maybe from savage arms.  They have the accutrigger that I like.  The .223s are somewhat hard to find in a normal .223 instead of the magnum or other versions.  I was thinking maybe going with a heavy, medium, or fluted heavy barrel if they make it.

Should I get a used or new one?

I would probably put some money in a nice scope as well.

AIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 6:08am
Print Post  
The_Fat_Man wrote on Mar 31st, 2007 at 10:25pm:
Spanks is such a tool.  Seriously Smiley

I'll tool you!

....ewwwwwww

AIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2007 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
Don't ever say that again.  That's almost as bad as the time you said you look through my window with telescopes all the time.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I hear Spanky has a new gun.  Let's see it!

-b0b
(...one of us!  One of us!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 11:10am
Print Post  
that means i gotta take pics...then upload them, or i could do nothing

ya i know which one to do!

(working pays off later, but being lazy pays off now!)

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint