Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) HOLY CRAP! News Stories (Read 282180 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: HOLY CRAP! News Stories
Reply #15 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
I think the worst aspect of the rise of the Interweb is the universal assault on grammar that is taking place.  Language is always a growing, evolving beast, but the laissez-faire attitude our generation applies to grammatical conventions is absolutely ridiculous.

I've recently begun taking a handful of college classes online to complete my bachelor's degree and potentially prepare for a graduate program.  I'm appalled at the poor grammar some of my fellow classmates use when communicating in the classroom or on discussion threads.  I don't understand how some of these students think slang or shorthand is even remotely appropriate in any classroom environment, let alone a college classroom.

-b0b
(...gets off his grammar Nazi box.)

HitlerBanjo.gif (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #16 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
I agree completely.  When I was taking my upper level criminal justice classes I would check out a few people's papers on what they wrote.  I don't know how my profs could even read some of the poorly written papers the students "wrote".  They would read mine and always complain that I got good grades on them.  I wanted to tell them my profs probably just gave me good grades because I could coherently put words together to make sentences.

These are future police officers, lawyers, judges, and government representatives we're talking about.  And we all know when I tackle a perp. in my field it's going to help by me saying "ooo newb u just got 0nzzzed!!!!!!!!!!!1111"

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #17 - Jun 21st, 2007 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
But what if they did just get pwnz0red?  When you shout "headshot" in their newly-deformed face, you're just calling it like you see it!

-b0b
(...snickers.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #18 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Quote:
"HELEN, Ga. - A former Marine killed a bear with a single blow — by tossing a log at its head.

The bear had snatched the family's cooler from their campsite in a national forest in northern Georgia. The 300-pound black bear was taking its loot back into the woods when Chris Everhart's 6-year-old son threw a shovel at it.

Everhart says the bear started charging, so he grabbed the first thing he could find, which happened to be a log from the family's firewood.

Everhart lobbed the chunk of wood, hitting the bear in the head and killing it.

"(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head," Everhart said. "I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear."

The close call earned Everhart bragging rights — and a ticket. Park authorities say he didn't properly secure his campsite."

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19374624

He must have some huge cajones!

-b0b
(...would rather have a gun.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #19 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
It must run in the family if his 6 y/o stood up to a 300 lb bear!

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #20 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 10:11am
Print Post  
There is a fine line between brave and stupid, I think I know where that kid was.

(I would have killed the bear then beat the kid)

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #21 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 11:04am
Print Post  
I'll one-up you.  I would beat the bear with the kid, thereby killing two birds (no pun intended) with one stone.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #22 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=464921...

Russia lays claim to the North Pole - and all its gas, oil, and diamonds
Last updated at 15:38pm on 28th June 2007

Russian leader Vladimir Putin is trying to Annex the North Pole

His audacious argument that an underwater Russian ridge is linked to the North Pole is likely to lead to an international outcry.

Some commentators have already observed it is further evidence of growing Russian assertiveness under its authoritarian president.

The Russian media trumpeted the findings of a Moscow scientific mission to the region which boasts "sensational" geological discoveries enabling the Kremlin to make the territorial claim.

Populist newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda - a cheerleader for Putin - printed a map of the North Pole showing a "new addition" to Russia, a triangle five times the size of Britain with twice as much oil as Saudi Arabia.

The six-week mission on a nuclear ice-breaker claimed that the underwater Lomonsov ridge is geologically linked to the Siberian continental platform - and similar in structure.

The detailed findings are likely to be put to the United Nations in a bid to bring it under the Kremlin noose, and provide the bonanza of an estimated 10 billion tonnes of gas and oil deposits as well as significant sources of diamonds, gold, tin, manganese, nickel, lead and platinum.

Under current international law, the countries ringing the Arctic - Russia, Canada, the US, Norway, Denmark (Greenland) - are limited to a 200 mile economic zone around their coastlines.

Currently, a UN convention stipulates that none of these countries can claim jurisdiction of the Arctic seabed because the geological structure does not match that of the surrounding continental shelves.

The region is administered by the International Seabed Authority - the authority now being challenged by Moscow.

A previous attempt to claim the oil and gas resources beyond its 200 miles zone five years ago was rejected - but this time Moscow intends to make a far more serious submission to the U.N. Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf.

The head of the government-funded expedition Valery Kaminsky, director of the All-Russian Oceanic Scientific Research Institute, said he has key photographic evidence to prove the geological claims. "These are very interesting facts for the world community," he said.

Yuri Deryabin, head of the Institute of North European Countries, said: "I estimate Russia's chances to gets its piece of the Arctic pie highly enough - but the main battle is just starting." He acknowledged the negotiations would be "complicated".

The claim is likely to provoke an outcry from green groups but there is also Russian opposition.

Sergei Priamikov, of Russia's Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute, said the notion was "strange" and warned other countries could make counter claims.

Canada "could say that the Lomonosov ridge is part of the Canadian shelf, which means Russia should in fact belong to Canada, together with the whole of Eurasia", he observed drily.

A diplomatic source said that Russia was "seeking to secure its grip on oil and gas supplies for decades to come. Putin wants a strong Russia, and Western dependence for oil and gas supplies is a key part of his strategy. He no longer cares if his strategy upsets the West".

Good old Vlad, rebuilding and expanding the motherland.  That's business as usual for him.

It looks like you can take the boy out of the KBG, but you can't take the KGB out of the boy.

-b0b
(...should lay claim to Antarctica, just for the heck of it.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #23 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
In anticipation of the upcoming Simpson's movie...

July 1: Customers enter a 7-Eleven 'Kwik-E-Mart' in Dallas.

Quote:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287578,00.html

The Promotion

The monthlong promotion has been rumored a long time -- it's hard to keep a secret known by so many suppliers and franchisees -- but 7-Eleven managed to keep the locations of the stores quiet until early Sunday morning. That's when the exteriors of 11 U.S. stores and one in Canada were flocked in industrial foam and given new signs to replicate the animated look of Kwik-E-Marts.

The U.S. locations where a 7-Eleven store was transformed into a Kwik-E-Mart are New York City; Chicago; Dallas; Denver; Burbank, Calif.; Los Angeles; Henderson, Nev.; Orlando, Fla.; Mountain View, Calif.; Seattle; and Bladensburg, Md.

The idea grew out of conversations between Fox and 7-Eleven's advertising agency.

"We wanted to make sure the movie stands out as a true cultural event this summer," said Lisa Licht, a marketing vice president at Fox. "It has to stand out from other summer movies and TV shows."

The Fox/7-Eleven deal is an example of a practice called reverse product placement. Instead of just putting products prominently in a movie or TV show, fake goods move from the screen to reality.

In some cases, 7-Eleven has contracted with manufacturers of similar products to make their Kwik-E-Mart counterparts. Malt-O-Meal, the Northfield, Minn., cereal maker, will conjure up a recipe for KrustyO's, for example. In others, existing products will simply be renamed. One flavor of 7-Eleven's own Slurpee will be sold as "WooHoo! Blue Vanilla" Squishee for the month.

-b0b
(...thought the trailer looked sorta funny.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #24 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
http://www.draculaman.com/?p=43

Air Force Guy (AFG) - I'm on your side and I'm going to get up.
Cop - Ok get up
AFG - Ok I'm going to get up ok
Cop - I said get up
AFG stand up
Cop - CAP CAP CAP!!!

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #25 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
You do know that's over a year old, right?

-b0b
(...posted this last summer.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #26 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Ya cause I remember all the stuff we post...

/sarcasm

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #27 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
movies yes

stuff you write on the forum...narp?

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #28 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
*shakes fist at spanky*

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #29 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
Ooh, you got a fist shaking!  Be afraid, Spanky.  Be very afraid!

-b0b
(...shakes his fist, too!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23
Send TopicPrint