Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Food for Thought (Read 4132 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Food for Thought
Jul 9th, 2007 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Take a look at this picture and let me know what you think...

Will the Human race ever reach a level of technology like this?

What would this environment demand on the people inhabiting it?

Do you think humans living in space would have a higher average level of intelligence and social responsibility than is asked of them in this world, where the air is free?

Would non-productive people be tolerated?  What then be done with criminals and free-loaders?

How would the crime rate compare with contemporary society?

Is human society only viable on a large scale on hospitable terrestrial planets?

Are we fated to be a species that only spends limited time in space (voyaging from one world to the next) because our societies are inherently incapable of the orderly behavior that living permanently in Space would demand?

You can view a full size copy of the image here...

http://www.TWNCommunications.Net/Other/TheReturn.jpg

-b0b
(...borrowed some of these questions from AR15.com.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: Food for Thought
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 1:48pm
Print Post  

-Yes.  But the question is will we build/implement it?  Can we get to Mars right now? Yes.  Are we trying? No.

-Would require us to live civil with each other.  Currently I see this as impossible.

Do you think humans living in space would have a higher average level of intelligence and social responsibility than is asked of them in this world, where the air is free?

-Nope, there will still be salesmen and governing officials.  And most likely will be selling you air.  I can see the ad now "So you want to live, eh?" (is natural spring air from Canada)

Would non-productive people be tolerated?  What then be done with criminals and free-loaders?

-Probably not, criminals might be imprisoned, but with limited space it would lead to capital punishment.  And with this I see mucho coruptiono (that's spanish).

Is human society only viable on a large scale on hospitable terrestrial planets?

-Yep.  Lets divide it up into smaller areas (countries), seems to be working out OK for us now....

Are we fated to be a species that only spends limited time in space (voyaging from one world to the next) because our societies are inherently incapable of the orderly behavior that living permanently in Space would demand?

-I don't see us able to go from one planet to the next yet, let alone finding a Minshara-Class (sniker) planet.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Hence the need for terraforming technology!

-b0b
(...cheers!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 3:39pm
Print Post  

Not with the way we are currently going about things.  We have made advances in technology move slower than it would.  Look at how long it took us to improve the automobile.  Now, since we have big money tied up in oil we not only have slowed our advances of alternative tech we have even gone backwards when advances were made.  We have politicized technology so much we've threaten our advancement as a species.

For one, it would help if we didn't have suicide bombers or we might be pretty screwed.  We'd also have to somehow filter the air depending on what technology we had or if smokers were still around then.  If this is suppose to be Earth we'd have to make it nature proof and also have some advances earthquake prevention as well.

It depends on if we would continue to be elitists of this world like we are now about who goes into space.  If so, then I would assume yes.  That way we rule out the ones who want to keep Mars free from oxygen (Total Recall cite).  However if we just let anyone go up then I would say this technology would not help us very much like in a way we saw humanity turn out in the Alien movies.

Depending on the size of this environment I think only productive people would live there.  Even people who just know how to dig a ditch would find some work.  I don't think the homeless would go there and just find a new park bench.  Also, and this would just be wishful thinking, but that people would extend a helping hand to those in need and also they wouldn't have to worry about that person raping and murdering them.  I believe criminals would be treated as "sick" and attempt to be rehabilitated.  It seems like that's the stance we're progressing to now.

How would the crime rate compare with contemporary society?

It's hard to tell just from this picture.  Yes it's technologically advance but does it have advances forms of entertainment and luxury?  Or does it take every gear and cog to be in it's place?  If the latter one than crime rates would be lower.  If it has the former than I would say crime rate would be just a bit below average in this environment.

Definitely not.  Humans have this quirky habit of finding a new place and surviving and thriving.  We are great at self preservation even with little chance of it being possible.  It would make it easier if it was large scale and hospitable and terrestrial but I think man could find a way to survive just about anywhere.

As of right now yes.  We spend 1% on space travel than we do on fighting wars.  To think of how much we could accomplish if we reversed those spending habits.  Look at the tech we got out of just sending a person to the moon and that was only back in the '60s.  Imagine what we could invent today if we had the resources.  The politicians tend to speak about how we should take care of "where we are now" first before we go "out there".    This is like the 6 y/o asking for 5 more minutes before he goes to bed.  He'll just keep asking for more time until he drops from exhaustion.  If we wait to go out there until we clean up everything here we will be a dead and buried people by then.  What happens if some of the solutions to problems here can be found out there?  Italy didn't find every solution to their problems before they sponsored Columbus' trip.  The same should be for the human race.  We must look to see where we live...it is our nature and it should be a destiny we embrace for ourselves.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint