Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Gunnnnnnnns! (Read 12255 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Gunnnnnnnns!
Sep 25th, 2007 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I've got new toys!  Meredith's stepfather, a retired automotive professor, works at a gun store in North Carolina as a semi-retirement hobby.  In an incredible act of awesomeness, he gave me the most amazing wedding gift in the history of humanity.  Check this bad boy out...

Now that's a thing of beauty.  A Bushmaster AR15 (XM15-E2S) with all of the fun toys on it!

Flash suppressor, bayonet lug, collapsible telescoping stock... YEAH!

The Bushmaster AR15 is a step up from my older Olympic Arms AR15.  I bought that AR in early 2003.  Since the idiotic Clinton Assault Weapons Ban was still in effect at the time, I couldn't buy an AR with the extra goodies we all know and love.  No collapsible stock, no bayonet lug, and no flash suppressor.  Now that the Assault Weapons Ban has sunset, this AR15 has all the cool toys!

I'm hoping to get out to shoot it this weekend.  I field stripped it, oiled it, and loaded a bunch of stripper clips for it while watching Dawn of the Dead this morning.  Come get some, zombies!

-b0b
(...can't wait to go shooting!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

More Gunnnnnnnns!
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Mere's stepfather also gave me this puppy, a Colt .38 Police Positive Special:

Six rounds of .38 Special is more than enough to kick some zombie ass.  I would never trade it for 12 rounds of .40S&W, but it makes an excellent backup gun.

It's a small revolver and relatively light weight, so it'll probably kick like a mule.  We'll see!

This really makes me want to hunt down some zombies.  Who's with me?!

-b0b
(...has been reading zombie survivalist fiction lately.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Gunnnnnnnns!
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
That AR15 got me excited...a lot.  I almost thought it was an M-16...to me they look a lot a like.  What are the difference?

Also I love the Colt especially with the wood grip.  It's such a classic staple of old school cops and cop shows.  And the fast reloaded is a must have.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
yea congrats bob, those are amazing! now we gotta go get some target practice with those!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
The M16 and AR15 are identical in every way except one small piece of metal in the fire control group, which controls the number of rounds fed with each pull of the trigger.

The original M16 and M16-A1 offered three options on the safety switch: safe, semi-automatic, and fully-automatic.  Since soldiers wasted too much ammunition on full-auto mode, the post-Vietnam M16's (M16-A2 and M16-A3) were limited to safe, semi-auto, and three-round burst.

The AR15 only has two modes, safe and semi-automatic.  The firearm is in all other ways identical to the M16 produced for the military.

That being said, there are a lot of differences between various AR platforms (AR10, AR15, M4, M16, etc).  It's an extremely versatile platform that can be used for everything from long-range sniping to close-quarters combat.  Here are two AR's that are on opposite ends of the spectrum...

An AR-15 pistol.  I think these things are extremely ugly, but I'm sure some people love them.

An AR-15 in a standard combat configuration with a grenade launcher.  That's a thing of beauty...

This AR-15 has been converted to a sniper platform.  It has a 24" barrel, a flat-top receiver (no carrying handle), a decent scope, and has been chambered for .308 instead of .223.

All three weapons are based on the same receiver, but each one has been tweaked to an incredible degree to suit the exact requirements of their owners.  The military does the same thing.  They've got a basic M16/M4 they offer to most soldiers, and a bunch of highly individualized weapons they offer to snipers, urban combatants, and tank drivers/gunners, and other special groups.

-b0b
(...the more you know!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info sir...that AR sniper rifle is really compact...is the range of fire affected by it's small size?

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Is your range of fire affected by your small size?

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Sep 25th, 2007 at 3:32pm:
That AR sniper rifle is really compact...is the range of fire affected by it's small size?

The angle of the picture is deceiving, as that AR is quite a bit bigger than it looks.  The barrel itself is 24", giving an overall length of about 42".  This is the same size as the M40-A3 (24" barrel, 44.25" overall), which is the dedicated sniper rifle of the US military.

The AR15 will never be quite as accurate as a dedicated bolt-action sniper rifle (like a .50bmg, or the M40A3).  The action of a semi-automatic rifle will always be sloppier than a bolt action due to design limitations.  A semi-automatic rifle is far more complex than any bolt-action rifle, and requires greater tolerances to function properly.  The M40-A3 also weighs nearly twice as much as the AR15 in the picture, weighing in at 16.56lbs as opposed to a relatively light 8.5lbs.  My AR15 is lighter still, weighing in at only 6.8lbs.  The greater weight of the M40-A3 keeps the gun steadier and reduces recoil, allowing faster follow-up shots.  It must be a true pain in the butt to carry around, though.

An M40-A3 has an effective range of 1,500 yards, although much longer kills have been recorded.  The AR15 seen above, however, has an effective range of ~950 yards.  For what it's worth, though, the longest distance at which I can consistently hit a target is about ~400 yards regardless of gun, so both the AR15 above and the M40-A3 are far more accurate than I am.

-b0b
(...would still like to have one of each, though!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2007 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Is your range of fire affected by your small size?

It's enough to hit your mom.

Quote:
The angle of the picture is deceiving...is quite a bit bigger than it looks

See that's what I told Spanky's mom too!

Thanks for the info bob-o!

X

IP Logged

Stick@school
GeekCrew Pedestrian

Personal Text:

Reply #9 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 9:48am
Print Post  
That sniper rifle reminds me of this gun from Remington's tactical line.

I think this one runs around $800-$900.  Maybe some day I will get one.

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or Personal Message. YaBBC code may be be used in your signature.  Duh!

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #10 - Sep 26th, 2007 at 10:21am
Print Post  
It's funny that you should mention Remington.  The M40-A3 is a built-up Remington 700 Short Action rifle.  The military purchases stripped-down Remington 700 receivers and builds the gun out from there.  They use a fiberglass composite bench-rest stock with glass bedding and aluminum pillars.  This allows the barrel to "free float" without actually sitting on the stock.  It's only attached to the receiver, allowing maximum accuracy.

The barrel they install is a 24" match-grade variant with 1:12" twist rifling.  The barrel alone weighs nearly four pounds!

The rifle itself costs about $3,200 before adding a $1,000 scope.  In short, it's pure sexiness.

-b0b
(...wants one some day.)
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2007 at 10:57am by b0b »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint