Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) Forum Network Upgrades - (Now With Pictures!) (Read 91426 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Forum Network Upgrades
Reply #45 - Oct 29th, 2007 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Alright, I think it is really fixed now.  The e-mail settings were still b0rked, so the forum would send e-mails to my addresses (since they're on the same server) but not to any external e-mail addresses.

If you guys have any other problems with the forum, be sure to let me know!

-b0b
(...wonders why this thing has to be so darned complex.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #46 - Oct 31st, 2007 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Sorry about the downtime this morning.  Comcast's POS cable modem went crazy and required a new boot file to be loaded by a Comcast tech.  Things seem to be running pretty well right now though.

-b0b
(...will keep an eye on it.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #47 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 8:47am
Print Post  
$#^#&^& COMCAST!

After the technician "fixed" the problem yesterday, the line went spastic again before I made it back to Sturgis.  I called Comcast again as soon as I got home and - after an hour on the line - was told that a tech would be out sometime this afternoon.  Apparently, there is some sort of EMI on the line that is causing the router to act wonky.

Everything seems to be working fine this morning, so I have no clue what is going on.  I'm not sure if I should cancel the tech or let him come out anyway.  Driving home from Sturgis and back is getting expensive!

For what its worth, though, I did a speed test and got 12Mb down, 900Kb up.  I'm not sure why I'm getting that much bandwidth, but I'm not complaining.  That's 50% more download speed than I'm paying for, so hopefully nobody will notice.

-b0b
(...hates Sturgis a little more every day.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #48 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Check this out...

If I wanted more bandwidth than that, I'd have to jack directly in to Comcast's backbone.

-b0b
(...thinks that sounds kinda dirty.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #49 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
I switched over to the new router tonight.  It was a bigger pain in the arse than I had anticipated.  Sorry about the downtime.

My Interweb service is still wonky, so I'm having a tech come out tomorrow.  If the forum is slow until then, I apologize.  I'll keep you guys updated on the Comcast situation.

Sorry about all the downtime this week.  There will be a bit more on Friday evening and Saturday afternoon.  I bought a network rack to mount all of my equipment into, so there will be a bit of downtime while I move everything over.  I guess it's best to get everything done all at once, right?

-b0b
(...is glad the POS Linksys router is gone.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #50 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Actually, come to think of it, I won't be mounting anything to the rack until sometime next week.  I ordered some adapter nuts that will allow me to mount the equipment into the rack, but they won't be here until some time next week.

I've attached a diagram that shows what the rack should look like by the time I'm done with it.  I don't have the APC power distribution unit yet, but I'm hoping to order it next week.  Once I have that bad boy in place, I'll be able to remotely reboot the server and other network equipment in case something locks up.  In short, no more extended forum downtime if the server locks up, yay!

Here's my game plan...

-b0b
(...is excited!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #51 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
I ordered some adapter nuts

I bet you did.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #52 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
I just bought the rack a few minutes ago.  It's sitting in my car ready to go upstairs as soon as I get home tonight! 

I also bought a surge-suppressing wall outlet to replace the crusty old one that's in the wall right now.  The extra surge protection will be a big help as the fall storm season winds down.  I've never replaced a wall outlet before, but I can't imagine that it will be too difficult.  If I electrocute myself, please tell my wife that I love her and make sure she cremates me and buries me in my computer case (preferably with my AR-15).

I also ordered the APC power distribution unit on eBay, so hopefully that'll arrive next week.  For some reason, the ability to reboot my servers remotely is hugely arousing enticing.

Hopefully the rack adapting screws will show up early next week so I can get this party started!

-b0b
(...is excited, but realizes nobody else really cares.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #53 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
Ya you are a nerd, but thats totally sweet. Replacing a wall outlet is fun, and I have been electrocuted doing it. My boss had to kick me to get me back from the socket. Its not pleasant! But ya youve got a regular server room going on. Just what on earth are you doing with all that?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #54 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Nov 2nd, 2007 at 3:42pm:
Just what on earth are you doing with all that?

The way I see it, the GeekCrew LAN has always served three purposes:

• 75% Daily Use - The forum, remote control from work, etc.
  • 15% Learning - Right now, the emphasis is on Cisco stuff so I can get my CCNA.
  • 10% Bragging Rights - Every geek has a bragging streak a mile wide!

Now that I've replaced all the craptastic Linksys equipment (one router and two switches) with decent enterprise-class stuff, I can focus on adding another server next, then replacing the existing server.  I'm thinking about buying a decent dual-processor enterprise server to run the forum and e-mail/web services.  It'll probably be something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-PowerEdge-4400-Dual-Xeon-1GHz-2GB-4x-36GB-Raid_W0QQitem...

If I threw in two more gigs of RAM and two more 36GB SCSI drives, it'd be a killer machine for hosting the forum.  That'll be a few months down the road, though.

-b0b
(...thinks it might be 75% bragging, though.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #55 - Nov 2nd, 2007 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Ya dude thanks again for hosting this, we are all willing to throw up some kind of donation your way... I think.

*looks at Craig*

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #56 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 10:33am
Print Post  

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #57 - Nov 3rd, 2007 at 11:59am
Print Post  
What ya all lookin at me fer!?!  I do not have the money to just throw away at bob for some lan thingy.  But if I do I expect there to be at least one hooker at this LAN.

Quote:
Every geek has a bragging streak a mile wide!

Just like bobs pooper, zing!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #58 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
I'm going to start moving stuff over to the rack.  Expect intermittent downtime for a few hours.

-b0b
(...can't wait!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #59 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Everything seems to be up and running fine!  I've got all of the network equipment moved into the rack.

The APC PDU is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I'll get that installed sometime after 5:30pm.  Expect a bit more downtime while I get all the power cables rerouted.  I've got to run all new network cables now that all of the switches and routers have been moved.  Once I get the new cables made and installed, I'll take pictures of the final product.

-b0b
(...grins like a Cheshire cat.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint