Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What Kind of Etch-A-Sketch Do You Have? (Read 6501 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

What Kind of Etch-A-Sketch Do You Have?
Nov 13th, 2007 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
My old 19" Sony Trinitron CRT is in dire need of replacement.  The picture started turning green about a year ago, and annoying diagonal lines have started showing up across the screen.  The monitor is a little over nine years old, though, so it's seen a lot of use!

It also weighs about 4,000lbs (only slightly less than one of Wes's mom's fat rolls), so it's a huge hassle to move the thing around.  It takes up a ton of real estate on my desk, and I think it'd be nice to reclaim some of my desk space.

To make a long story short, I want to know what kind of monitors you guys are using.  Do you guys have a particular brand or model that you're attached to?  Are you using a traditional square monitor, or have you made the jump to wide screen?  2ms, 5ms, 8ms response time?

I'm thinking about making the leap to a 22" Samsung 226BW Widescreen LCD with a 2ms response time.  It is getting great reviews and it finally seems to have fallen to a reasonable price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001096

-b0b
(...wants to know!)

-b0b
(...score!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: What Kind of Etch-A-Sketch Do You Have?
Reply #1 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
My 22" Samsung rocks, its the 5ms version but no problems. The earlier version had some light bleeding at the top and bottom but it should be much better. it handles games and video like a dream and theres no tearing. I definitely recommend it.

I think Ill get another one!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
If you don't mind me asking, how much did your 22" Samsung cost?

How does your 22" compare to most 19" CRT's in terms of screen size?  I'm fine with a 19" monitor, but I think I need to upgrade to 22" when wide screen comes into play.  I want the same screen height as I have now, and a 19" wide screen is going to be shorter than a 19" square screen.

-b0b
(...doesn't want to spend too much.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
It was 300 I think, although now that I consider, it might have been 250 cause of a special Best Buy deal (Best buy is evil I know, but the monitor was cheap)

And the 22 wide is about as tall as a 19 i think. Might be a little bigger. I can double check when I get home cause I have the 19 crt sitting next the the 22 flat.

Really I think the 5ms model is very good, I love it. So if that model is cheaper than the 2ms, go for that.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
From what I can find on NewEgg, there are two 5ms 22" Samsung LCD's, one at $269 and one at $299.  The 2ms version is $319.  I'm not too concerned about a $20 savings, but $50 on the other hand...

-b0b
(...decisions, decisions.)

IP Logged

Stick@school
GeekCrew Pedestrian

Personal Text:

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
What about this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824252008

Its $219 and Vista Certified!!!!! OMG! I gotta get one if its Vista Certifed!

Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or Personal Message. YaBBC code may be be used in your signature.  Duh!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint