Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) 64-Bit OS? (Read 62596 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: 64-Bit OS?
Reply #15 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:30am
Print Post  
ready-boost sounds pretty cool, I definitely would like to hear how that affects performance. I wonder if I could actually use that ram for rendering. Does it act as physical ram or just a faster virtual ram?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #16 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
It's essentially a faster virtual cache/RAM.  Once your system hits the RAM limit, the OS starts paging out to L4 cache, which is usually the paging file on the hard drive.  With ReadyBoost, the faster USB drive becomes the L4 cache, and the hard drive page file becomes L5 cache.

• L1 Cache - On processor, runs at the core speed of the CPU.
  • L2 Cache - On die, runs at the speed of the FSB.
  • L3 Cache - RAM, runs at the speed of the bus, but with much higher latency.
  • L4 Cache - ReadyBoost, runs at USB 2.0 bus speed (480Mbps).
  • L5 Cache - Hard drive paging file, runs at the drive's transfer speed.

-b0b
(...the more you know.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #17 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks bob, its nice to see it organized like that.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #18 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
You wrote -bob twice, that counts as a mistake.  Me finding this thus gives me a point.

...so what is it now 1500 to 3?  I am going to catch you soon!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #19 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:53pm:
You wrote -bob twice, that counts as a mistake.

It wasn't a mistake, I simply wanted to be sure you knew who was posting that witty piece of information.

-b0b
(...fixed it anyway.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 8:50am
Print Post  
I finished getting the OS setup last night and I've reinstalled most of my applications.  I might be able to get some gaming done on Saturday, so I'll let you know how they play.

I tried out Aero and Flip 3D last night, and wasn't incredibly impressed by either.  I've gone back to the classic interface and classic start menu.  Windows 2000 never looked so good!

By the way, I haven't run into any driver issues.  The only piece of hardware I have that doesn't work is my craptastic flatbed scanner.  I bought it at Meijer about six years ago and the vendor doesn't even have a website, so I'm going to have to call it a loss.  I hardly use it anyway so it isn't a big deal.

-b0b
(...is downloading Half-Life 2 from Steam to try out tonight.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #21 - Dec 7th, 2007 at 8:23am
Print Post  
I just thought I'd mention that I got my first (and second, and third) blue screen of death last night on Vista.  That might be a new record for quickest BSoD on a new OS!

For some reason, Vista BSoD's when I try to install PCMark 2005.  That really sucks because I wanted to compare Vista's performance to XP's performance on the same machine.  Both times I tried to install PCMark 2005, the system crashed with a non-descript BSoD.

The third crash was my fault.  I downloaded Vista-compatible drivers for my Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty, and then tried to install the rest of the Soundblaster programs from the CD.  Apparently, the software on the CD doesn't work with the Vista drivers, so my machine blue-screened again when I rebooted.  It's good to know that safe mode is still in the same location...

Creative has replaced all of their X-Fi installation CD's with a Vista-compatible version.  If you bought an X-Fi before the CD was switched and you want to use Vista, you're pretty much screwed as far as Soundblaster applications are concerned.  Only the driver and a couple of programs are on the Creative website.

I did manage to find a copy of the Vista X-Fi CD on MiniNova, though, so I'm going to install everything else tonight.

Shame on Creative for not hosting the apps on their site, and shame on Microsoft for allowing Vista to BSoD so easily.  What happened to the improved HAL that was supposed to handle application crashes more gracefully?

-b0b
(...will post pics later.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #22 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 11:36am
Print Post  
My friend at work just built his new rig and installed 64bit XP pro.  He said that he found all of his drivers just fine and everything is peachy.

He got a quad core Q6600, that's the cheapest one. Its paired with a 8800GTX.  He overclocked the system where the CPU is now running at 3.3GHz and its normally at 2.4.  His cooling is a high end Zalman fan heatsink.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #23 - Dec 8th, 2007 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
Wow, that's a pretty decent overclock.  I'm also looking at a Q6600 and an 8800GTX, so it sounds like his rig is pretty similar to mine.  Has he said anything about performance yet?

-b0b
(...inquiring minds.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #24 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Yea, he did.  He gave me some numbers but I can't recall them off the top of my head.  I will ask him tomorrow.

He's playing crysis and said he noticed a small lag spike once when he was in major combat but that is all.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #25 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
That's pretty impressive.  Crysis is an absolute juggernaut of a game when it comes to system resources.  It takes the average "gaming PC" and breaks it into tiny little pieces, making it run home to mommy while screaming like Briney a little girl.

There are a handful of games that I'm really looking forward to playing, including...

• Supreme Commander and expansion - I'm an RTS man at heart.
  • World in Conflict - Another RTS that looks excellent.
  • Neverwinter Nights 2 and expansion - I've owned the game for months, but can't play it on my current rig.
  • STALKER - Yeah, it's getting old, but I love Chernobyl and the game looks sweet.
  • BioShock - This game looks incredibly sweet.

There are a couple others, but those ones round out the top five.  I also want to play the new WarHammer 40k expansions, but I might wait until they hit the bargain bin.

-b0b
(...can't wait to play!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #26 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
warhammer 40k was cool for a while but you have to play the same tactical way everytime or you will lose.  Kinda got boring....

AIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #27 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Why are you guys stuck on the 8800GTX?  Yes it is the best of the best, but it is also OMG expensive.  Why not spring for the 8800GT for half the price.  I have not found a game that it can't play yet.

(only tried crysis demo not full game)

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #28 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Because like you and I've always said...

The 'X' means better!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #29 - Dec 10th, 2007 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
Yeah, it's kinda like I told Wes, the plus means better.

When I built the Bobulator IV (the first one with the ubercase), I bought a Soyo K7V Dragon Plus.  Wes rebuilt his PC at the same time and only opted for the Soyo K7V Dragon.  Guess what?  The plus really did mean better, and my system whooped the crap out of his.

Of course, that superior processor and graphics card might have had something to do with that, too.

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Send TopicPrint