Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) 64-Bit OS? (Read 62620 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: 64-Bit OS?
Reply #45 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Quote:
My joints crack evertime I move, riggermortous is setting in...

They aren't supposed to do that?

Forget the workout crap, get a Wii instead!  I tried a few rounds of Wii boxing with some friends, he almost got me cause I couldn't lift my arms near the end.(I know you don't need to go through the full motions, but what's the fun in that?)

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #46 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I told you Wii was awesome!  You should definitely pick up Mario Strikers: Charged because it rocks your weak world.

Although Meredith and I love the Wii, I'm really starting to crave non-cutesy, non-party games.  The Wii is really lacking on that point.

Meredith has been hinting at wanting Katamari and DDR, so I bought her an XBox 360 Elite for Christmas with both of those games.  Shh, don't tell her!

I might pick up Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed for it eventually.  I prefer to play my FPS games on the PC (and all other games, for that matter) but those two look pretty sweet.  Blue Dragon is also supposed to be an excellent game, and probably the only decent XBox RPG.

-b0b
(...wonders what other games he should get?)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #47 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:46am
Print Post  
You should pick up orange box.  I rented the game, and it's a lot of fun to play with. 

Half Life 2
Half Life 2 Episode 1
Half Life 2 Episode 2
Portals
Team Fortress 2

Portals is a lot of fun, but easily beaten. 

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #48 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:54am
Print Post  
I will be picking up Orange Box - for the PC.  Anybody that buys Half-Life 2 for the XBox 360 while owning a decent PC is a Stalin-worshiping pinko communist.

I already own the Valve überpack from the Steam/Half-Life 2 release (remember the cool hat?) with all of the Half-Life mods, Half-Life 2, all of the CounterStrike mods and CounterStrike: Source, and Day of Defeat: Source.  I want to get both Half-Life 2 expansions, Team Fortress 2, and Portal so I'll probably buy the Orange Box at an after-Christmas sale.

-b0b
(...w00t.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #49 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 5:35pm
Print Post  

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #50 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:41am
Print Post  

And I'm spent!

X
(ahhhhh)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #51 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Wow sign me up for a brick-o-videocard.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #52 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 8:44am
Print Post  
Whatever happened to the Quad SLI solution nVidia released with Dell back in the day?  For what its worth, this is probably a last minute gimmick to keep up with ATI's Crossfire solution, which is supposed to offer four-card coprocessing at some point (although it will probably suck as much as everything else ATI has produced over the past two years).

Did you read the system specs?  1100 watt power supply minimum.  That's sheer craziness!

I'm glad to see that the 3-way solution offers some actual improvement over a two-card rig, but its definitely limited to the higher resolutions.  Based on the performance of the older four-card SLI and 3/4-card Crossfire, I really wasn't hoping for much. 

That said, the games were only truly improved by three-way SLI when the resolution was cranked to ridiculous levels (2560x1600), and how many people do you know that own a 30" monitor?  By the time 30" LCD's even start to make it into high-end gaming circles, the 8800 Ultra will have long since been replaced by the GeForce 9000 (or even 10000) series.

Some of the benchmarks seem to point out that nVidia still needs to do some work on their drivers, which is to be expected.  In Quake Wars, for instance, two 8800GTX's outperformed three 8800Ultras.  If I had just dropped $2,000+ on three top-end video cards, I'd be pretty upset if some punk with two mid-range video cards had a higher frame rate than me.

-b0b
(...will laugh if one 9000-series card outperforms all three 8800Ultras.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #53 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:38am
Print Post  
That picture should be in the Funny Pictures thread.
It looks rediculous how big those cards are compared to the mobo.  Do you think they had a hard time keeping that mobo from flipping up because of the added weight on the bottom? lol

My 360 is the premium or platinum system, whichever is the 20GB $350 model.  You can actually hook the 360 into a windows mediacenter PC via ethernet and its just like having a mediacenter PC connected to your TV.  You can stream movies and all...  It also hooks into Media Player 11 if you dont have vista.  I couldn't get movies to play though...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #54 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Actually, Stick, that's one of the big reason why I chose to get the XBox 360 for Meredith instead of a PS3.  I really want to stream content from my PC and server to our TV screen.  Meredith really wants to watch One Piece (an anime), but sitting around my green-tinted 19" monitor gets really old. 

Being able to stream video from Vista to the XBox will be excellent.  I just hope I don't have to re-encode everything to make it compatible.  Unfortunately, the new XVid and DivX implementations on the XBox 360 Dashboard don't support subtitles, so I won't be able to watch much of my anime...  Grr.

http://www.webtvwire.com/xbox-360-gets-divx-functionality-xbox-live-marketplace-...

For what its worth, nothing beats being able to watch Farting Preacher on the TV at a whim.

-b0b
(...score!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #55 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 10:38am
Print Post  
I'm not sure about the windows media center formats but I was only able to get Windows based formats to stream through Media Player 11.
.WMA  .WMV  of course I didn't test them all.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #56 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Apparently, DivX and XVid only play through a separate dashboard option, not through the Windows Media Center extender.  Of course, I haven't played with it myself, so this is purely based on third-party reviews.  I'll be able to tell you more after Christmas.   Wink

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/xbox-360-divx%5Cxvid-test/xbox-360-divxxvid-playback-...

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #57 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 11:17am
Print Post  
if you want a real media center just get an xbox and hack it. browse from the xbox and play whatever is shared on your harddrives on the network. pictures, movies, anything except itunes music i think.

This way you dont have to go through windows media player which is evil.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #58 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but who wants to buy an XBox and a mod chip and go through all of the trouble involved in soldering a billion tiny wires to the PCB?  If I was going to go through all that trouble, I'd just buy a laptop and a scan converter.

-b0b
(...already owns a scan converter, incidentally.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #59 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Or watch the videos stored on your computer on your freaking monitor!

...why am I the only one to come up with this solution?

green moniter?  Quit your bitchin.

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 
Send TopicPrint