Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) 64-Bit OS? (Read 62710 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: 64-Bit OS?
Reply #60 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I've got an even better solution.  Get a long KVM-quality DVI cable and a scan converter and run a line from your PC to your monitor.  It doesn't get any easier than that...

...unless you've got an über-TV with a DVI hookup built-in, in which case you don't need the scan converter.

-b0b
(...points out that one of the managers at work has such a TV in his office.)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #61 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
You can install transcoder for your PC to enocde it on the spot for you.  You can run it from widows media center too.  That's what I use to do.  But it takes a lot of processor power.  You could try SUPER video encoder and manually change all of your file types, but then you would use the quality of .avi.  Sad

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #62 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but he is going to have a heart attack soon.  If you can make it into his will I say go for it.

AIM  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #63 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
haha.  My room mate has the modded xbox and its sweet.  The only problem, no HD movies.  Other than that, we watch ripped commercial free tv shows and movies daily.  Its nice.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #64 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
computerjuvenile wrote on Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:24pm:
You can install transcoder for your PC to enocde it on the spot for you.

It's been awhile since I've played with on-the-fly encoders, but it's been my experience that the videos played through them universally look like crap.  Not only is the image quality less than desirable, but there was a ton of lag and frame loss at random periods.

-b0b
(...may give it another try some day.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #65 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
about the quad core SLI, it was still only running through two PCI-E slots where this would be three, so this might be better?

AIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #66 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Not sure, SLI only uses the extra processors, the memory data is copied and sent to all the cards.  So this would mean the CPU would have to send the same info to 3 adresses instead of 2 now.

Never know though, nvidea might pull out some trippy voodoo powers and make it work.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #67 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Ahh, that's true, I hadn't thought about that.  Of course, most multi-PCIe boards don't support PCIe x16 on all three ports.  The older stuff is mostly 1 x16 and 2 x8's, or worse yet, 1 x16 and two x4's.  The Intel X38 chipset I plan on buying supports full blown PCIe 1.0 x16 on all three slots, but even with that you only get PCIe 2.0 x16 on one slot.

Of course, the Intel chipset doesn't support nVidia's SLI anyway due to nVidia not offering the license, so it's really a moot point.

-b0b
(...and who the heck wants Crossfire, anyway?)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #68 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:46pm:
Never know though, nvidea might pull out some trippy voodoo powers and make it work.

That sentence is amazingly ironic when you consider that nVidia bought their SLI technology from a company called Voodoo.

-b0b
(...had to point that out.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #69 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
So I just thought I would point out that there is NO video overlay for the 8000 series Nvidia cards. Which sucks bad.

For those of you that dont know what that is, you can open a video player on one montor, and have that video fullscreened on another monitor or tv. this was great cause I could minimize the vid and keep working while it outputted to the tv. Especially handy when working in premiere... any video would just be automatically fullscreened over.

So now to watch stuff on the tv I have to have it set up as a video clone of the current monitor and fullscreen it... or full screen it on the tv but still not really be able to use my machine.

With all of the outputs of my card, why the balls would Nvidia take out functionality for something thats been there for as long as I can remember.  Especially since people are outputting to their HDtvs from their computer more!!

Annoying. I'm putting in my old card in addition to the new one just so I can do the video overlay.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #70 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 9:11am
Print Post  
This sounds like a very serious problem briney, let me help you out.  First I need you to take one of your monitors and wrap it in bubble wrap.  Then I need you to put it in a box and mail it to me.  That should solve the problem you are having with two monitors.

...worth a try.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #71 - Dec 17th, 2007 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Come on, Briney, we know you're making the big bucks now.  Why don't you buy a Quadro?

-b0b
(...wants one.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #72 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
Hey bob, what have you heard about XP SP3 vs Vista SP1?  For XP I have seen posts ranging from I want this to have my babies to it killed my dog.  Most people say they get a little better frame rates, but some games bsod.  But this is still beta, got any thoughts?

...also you can test the vista one.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #73 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
XP SP3 has been pushed back almost as many times as today's other topic, Duke Nukem Forever.

Microsoft has been really quiet about SP3, preferring to push Vista instead (which makes sense from a business perspective).  The only thing they've official said was that it would include some changes to Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11.  Most likely, those two programs will be a required component of SP3.

Considering that XP has officially been replaced by Vista, I'm guessing SP3 will be more of a "patch rollup" than the massive service packs we're used to seeing for XP that bring new functionality.  It'll probably be a collection of all of the patches released thus far, along with IE7, WMP11, and the Windows Live application suite.

When it comes to Vista SP1, don't get too excited.  It contains all of the previous patches, along with a few small fixes.  The only big thing they've added that I'm even moderately interested in is support for BitLocker encryption of multiple volumes through the GUI.  You can only encrypt the boot volume through the GUI right now, and have to use the command line interface for the rest of the volumes.

Oh, and if you thought XP SP2 was big, Vista SP1 is going to run somewhere between 400MB and 600MB, depending on the version of Vista you're running.  You'll need around 5GB of swap space available for the installation.

I'll be testing XP SP3 sometime shortly after Christmas, so I'll let you know how it goes.  I'll probably test Vista SP1 in February, so if you're willing to wait, I'll review that too.

Personally, I'm getting sick of service packs.  In the last two weeks, Microsoft has published release candidates of Vista SP1 and XP SP3, along with final versions of Exchange 2007 SP1, Office 2007 SP1, and SharePoint 2007 SP1.  Do you know how long it takes me to test a single service pack on the variety of machines I'm responsible for and push it into production?

-b0b
(...for the love of God, stagger them!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #74 - Dec 19th, 2007 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Vista SP1 is going to run somewhere between 400MB and 600MB

I think I pooped a little...