Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) Bobulator VII (Read 38136 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Bobulator VII
Nov 30th, 2007 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
A friend at work is interested in building their own PC, so I thought I would keep a pictorial log of my own PC-building experience to help them out.  Where better to host it than right here on the forum?  The primary build will probably occur in early March, but I'm going to be doing some research ahead of time so I figured I'd start the thread now.

Since I'm completely bored off my butt at work today (shhh!), I thought I'd start this project by posting my desired specifications for the Bobulator VII.  In case you guys are interested, here is a list of the previous Bobulators...

• Bobulator I - My first home-built PC, a Pentium 100MHz with 8MB of RAM and an Intel motherboard with integrated graphics and sound.  My uncle helped me assemble this beast!  I later upgraded the system to a whopping 16MB of RAM, which was my first solo PC mod experience.
  • Bobulator II - An "upgrade" of the previous system, the Bobulator II was a Pentium II 233MHz system with 32MB of RAM.  I reused the case, modem, and power supply.
  • Bobulator III - This was a complete rebuild and no old components were reused.  I built this system at the age of 15 after getting my first non-seasonal job at Wendy's, and I bought top-shelf components.  The case was a freebie craptastic Dell case that I got free from a friend of mine.  The Bobulator III was a 700Mhz Pentium III Coppermine, the last Intel processor I ever used in my main rig.  I built it with a whopping 256MB of SDRAM, although I later maxed out the motherboard with 768MB.  I installed a massive 33GB hard drive (the biggest available), a CD-Burner (4X!), a CD-ROM drive, and the first-ever hardware GPU, an nVidia GeForce 256 with 32MB of SDR SDRAM.  It took me three years to pay off that system!  I am still using the mouse and monitor I bought with this system, although the monitor will be replaced sometime between Christmas and the end of January.

Here's a picture of the last moments of the Bobulator III.  When I disassembled it, I found a ton of dust that had gathered over the three years I was using it.

• Bobulator IV - This was probably my most ambitious (and expensive!) project ever, and the one that you guys are the most familiar with.  In our junior year of high school I rebuilt the Bobulator from scratch with all new components, including the now-infamous case.  I bought the case from 3DCool, a company that is now mostly-defunct and no longer sells cases.  I paid an exorbitant amount of money for the ultimate case, which included eight layers of custom baked-on automotive paint.  I also custom ordered a window on the side that is installed with weather-stripping designed for an automobile.  Windows were pretty revolutionary at the time. 

I finished off the case with a 431w Enermax power supply (one watt more than Briney!) that is still in the Bobulator today.  Other hardware included a GeForce 3 Ti500 with 128MB of RAM, an Athlon XP 1700+, and 1,536MB of PC2100 SDRAM.  I also installed a new 16X burner and kept the old burner from the Bobulator III.  Here's a picture of the brand-spankin' new Bobulator IV...

At some point, Spanky and I both bought GeForce 4 Ti-4600's with 128MB RAM.  When I pre-ordered the card at Best Buy, the retarded cashier let me keep the box.  I posted a picture on the craptastic forum we had at the time, bragging that my new card was better than Briney's.  You can see the pre-order label on the right-hand side.

• Bobulator V - This was more of a refresh than a complete rebuild.  I upgraded to a GeForce 5600 256MB, an Athlon 2200+, and two 160GB hard drives in RAID 1.  I also upgraded the fans in the system to dual-ball bearing Panaflo Highs and added two 5˝" hard-drive coolers to my open drive bays.
  • Bobulator VI - My current rig.  It's an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ with 3GB of PC2400.  I later upgraded the system by swapping out the PC2400 with 2GB of PC3200 and by replacing the Soundblaster Audigy Platinum with a Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal1ty (with 64mb of X-RAM!).  It's running four 80GB WD SATA150's on a Promise FastTrak RAID controller in RAID 5 with 128MB of ECC SDRAM.  Yeah, I still have more cache than Briney, even if he's got three times the storage space!

The Bobulator VII will be a big change.  Due to AMD's current lackluster performance, I'll be going back to Intel for the first time in nearly nine years.  My last Intel processor was a 700MHz Pentium III Coppermine.  Wow, those were the good ol' days!  I remember playing Unreal Tournament for the first time ever on that machine!

-b0b
(...remembers the good times.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: Bobulator VII
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Well, AMD just released their new quad-core phenom.  Rumors are they are not terrible.  Though they are going to have 3 versions, and only 1 is actually out...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 5:16pm
Print Post  
I made my first two purchases toward the Bobulator VII today.  NewEgg had an excellent deal on Western Digital 500GB SATA-3 drives, so I jumped one the deal and bought one.  I'll eventually add three more identical drives and put them in a RAID-5 array, giving me 1.5TB of storage with redundancy in case of a drive failure.  I bought the RAID Edition with 16MB cache, which offers a 100,000 hour operational life and can take the additional heat typically found in a RAID array.

I also bought a copy of Vista Ultimate - Signature Edition.  I found a brand new unopened copy from a PC reseller on eBay for half of the retail price, so I jumped on it.  He's from Chicago, so I can drive over there and strangle him if he tries to screw me over.  Here's a link to an Amazon page for the same product...

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Ultimate-Numbered-Signature/dp/B000M2WPI...

-b0b
(...may install Vista on his current rig just for the heck of it.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2007 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Nov 30th, 2007 at 5:13pm:
Well, AMD just released their new quad-core phenom.  Rumors are they are not terrible.  Though they are going to have 3 versions, and only 1 is actually out...

Well, I can't comment on the two unreleased versions, but the current Phenom core sucks.  It's supposed to be part of the new Spider system architecture, which combines and ATI GPU (now owned by AMD) with an AMD chipset motherboard and an AMD Phenom processor.  HardOCP and several other sites have reviewed the Phenoms and they aren't too pleased with them.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I read the review a few days ago and was very displeased with HardOCP's findings.  The chipset is slowwwww.  The only thing AMD has going for them is a decent overclocking utility and cheap unlocked processors.

-b0b
(...can post more reviews, too.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Here's the next component in the lineup.  I just ordered this on Monday and it expect it to arrive today.

My 431w Enermax has served me faithfully over the years, but I think it is finally time to upgrade to a slightly larger power supply with SATA power and 6-pin PCIe connectors.  This unit, an Enermax 550w PSU, uses modular connectors to eliminate unnecessary cabling.  That should help improve airflow through the case.

It's also got a 120mm cooling fan with green LED's built in.  I'm not real sure that I'm going to be real keen on a green glow inside my case, but we'll see how it pans out.  If all else fails, I'll just do a little bit of surgery to remove it.

-b0b
(...paid a little less than $100 for it.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 10:50am
Print Post  
What do the modular cable connectors do?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 10:57am
Print Post  
prolly so he can pick and choose what power connectors he wants plugged in so he doesnt have 10 extra useless wires clogging airflow in his case.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Yeah, Briney hit it on the head.  The motherboard power cable is integrated, but all other power cables (4-pin molex, SATA, 4-pin floppy, 6-pin PCIe, etc) are modular.  In other words, these cables are not built in to the PSU, so I can pick and choose which wires I need and attach them to the PSU.

Like Briney noted, this allows me to use the cables I need and leave the rest of them in the closet, creating a tidier system and increasing airflow.

-b0b
(...still thinks the Bobulator isn't very tidy.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:26am
Print Post  
yea that is pretty sweet, but i wonder, just how many connectors are there on that one? looks like 10?

I've got a lot of cables clogging things up, i need to twist-tie them.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 11:29am
Print Post  
I always get scared when Briney says he wants to organize things...it's like a sign of the End Times or something.

X
(Shivers)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
I got my copy of Ultimate for 45 dollars.

hehe

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:54pm
Print Post  
Consumer whore!  If you keep buying Vista microsoft is just going to keep pushing it and playing like nothing is wrong!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
computerjuvenile wrote on Dec 5th, 2007 at 1:31pm:
I got my copy of Ultimate for 45 dollars.  hehe

Yeah, but my copy of Vista has Bill Gate's signature digitally imprinted on the front cover, so blow me.

Quote:
yea that is pretty sweet, but i wonder, just how many connectors are there on that one? looks like 10?

There are eight modular ports total.  If you need more than that, may I suggest the following power supply...

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM4MywsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

Any power supply that requires you to rewire your house gets a thumbs up in my book.

-b0b
(...some day!)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Are you going with something other than fans this time.  Perhaps water cooling?

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2007 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
My case is heavy enough as it is without adding a gallon of water.  Besides, I've worked with computers long enough to see every single type of component fail multiple times, so I'm really not going to tempt fate by running water in and through a couple thousand dollars in hardware.

I usually only overclock by 10-15% on my hardware, so there is no need for water cooling.

-b0b
(...has considered it, though.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #15 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Last post from my behemoth monitor!  Meredith bought me the 22" Samsung LCD for my birthday!

YAY, birthday!

I'll post pictures either tonight or tomorrow (or next year).

-b0b
(...bets his wife monitor is cooler than Briney's.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #16 - Dec 20th, 2007 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Wooooow!  This screen is massive!  Not only do I have more screen real estate than I know what to do with, but I've also reclaimed three square feet of my actual desk!  This is incredible!

It's also nice to see black colors that are... well... black!  My CRT has had a green tint for so long that I'm completely blown away by seeing dark colors again!

The only downside is that my current rig really chugs when I try to run Vista at 1680x1050.  I'm running at 1280x720 at the moment to keep things running relatively smoothly.  Now I'm more desperate than ever to upgrade my system!  Two more months!

-b0b
(...hurry up, tax season!)
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2007 at 8:41am by b0b »  

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #17 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 8:11am
Print Post  
Sweet, grats bob!

ummm, jim's gay!

AIM  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #18 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 9:06am
Print Post  
wtf, a serious post from spanky? No way.  Screenshot!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #19 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Yeah, that was entirely unexpected. Wink

I also got The Orange Box.  Portal rocks your face.  I can't wait to get home for some more gaming goodness!  Episode 2 is also looking excellent, so I can't wait to play it.

-b0b
(...bam!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #20 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 9:44am
Print Post  
pfft, fine I fixed it, you happy now you dirty joos?

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #21 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Aww but it was so sweet....

So when's the wedding you two?

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #22 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 10:33am
Print Post  
I don't think bob's wife would like me marrying him...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #23 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Nah, we had a pre-wedding agreement.  If it's Craig, it's not cheating.

-b0b
(...or Wes's mom.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #24 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 11:16am
Print Post  
One of my coworkers a couple days ago, "It isn't cheating if my wife does it with another woman, as long as I am there, get to video tape it, and join in."

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #25 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 11:38am
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Dec 21st, 2007 at 11:16am:
I isn't cheating

Haha, typo!

-b0b
(...bahahaha!)

GrammarNazi.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #26 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 11:59am
Print Post  
I hate you so much, I'm going to go tell bush you have the WMDs!

Also, you are an...

Asshole.jpg (Attachment deleted)
AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #27 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
That's it, I'm sending you to the Grammar Crisis Room.

-b0b
(...pronto!)

GrammarCrisisRoom.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #28 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Alright guys, tell me about TV tuners!

I haven't had a TV tuner in my system in years, and I'm hoping to add one back in to the Bobulator VII if I've got a spare slot for one.  I would prefer to get an internal card as opposed to a USB/FireWire solution, but I won't completely rule out those types of tuners.

I've been checking out the TV tuners on NewEgg and they all look like crap.  All of them have horrible reviews.  Some cards don't work in Vista, others don't have 64-bit drivers, and many don't work in Windows Media Center.

So, what (if any) TV tuners are you guys using, and how are they working for you?  I'm more interested in displaying content from game consoles on my PC than watching television, and I only want to record the occasional gaming session, so I don't need anything seriously hardcore.  I just want the thing to work when I buy it.  Here's what I'm looking for...

Must Have:
  • Vista 64-bit support
  • Composite Video Input (PS2, VCR, etc)

Would Like:
  • Windows Media Center support
  • Coaxial video input (For future cable TV support)
  • PCIe would be excellent, too, since I will have an x1 and an x16 slot available.

I'm sure Briney and Stewie must have some advice!

-b0b
(...needs some help with this one.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Ordered!
Reply #29 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
OMGZORZZZZZZ!

I placed the order for the Bobulator VII (well, most of it anyway) a few minutes ago!  The transaction has been processed and the stuff should be getting shipped within the next couple of hours!

I overnighted the package (ouch!) and added rush shipping, so it should be here tomorrow - and it will be, if FedEx knows what's good for them!  That means I'll have all weekend to get the rig put together and get the OS installed and tweaked, so hopefully the Bobulator VII will be ready for pure pwnage at the New Year's LAN.

Here are the final specs:

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB Video Card (the new one!)
Asus Maximus Extreme Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
OCZ Gold 2x1GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler

I also added an 80mm dual-ball bearing fan to replace one that crapped out a few weeks ago.  I wanted to dress up my case a bit and replace the ugly white hard drive coolers and floppy drive, so I picked up two Vantec Vortex drive coolers and a black Sony floppy drive.  Who says floppy drives aren't still useful?

I wanted to order two new SATA DVD burners, but the only decent 20x SATA burner with LightScribe was backordered, so I decided to hold off until they come back in stock next week.

NewEgg for the win!

-b0b
(...isn't going to be able to do anything productive for the rest of the week.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #30 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB Video Card (the new one!)

You bastard.  GOGO 90-day step-up program.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #31 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Yeah, but do you want to have a system without a video card for two weeks?

If I had a spare PCIe card, I'd consider "stepping up" to a 9800 when they're finally released.  I can't wait to see DX10 performance with one of those bad boys...

-b0b
(...9800Ultra, FTW!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #32 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yeah, but do you want to have a system without a video card for two weeks?

hmm, ok I have an idea.  You buy two of them, give me one, then I use the step up on mine, and when I get my other one back I run SLI.  Everyone wins.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #33 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Something sounds a little fishy about that plan, but I can't quite place it...  Smiley

-b0b
(...hmm.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #34 - Dec 26th, 2007 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Come on bob, this plan seems legit.  Don't be a pussy!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #35 - Dec 27th, 2007 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Last post from the Bobulator VI!

-b0b
(...faints.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #36 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
First post from the Bobulator VII!  Video at 11!

-b0b
(...well, maybe not!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #37 - Dec 28th, 2007 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
4 hours...and counting eeeeee

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #38 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
And bob...doesn't deliver.  Surprised?

This does though!

What's that?  1GB VRAM, 256 stream procs, dual GPUs, and I'm spent.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #39 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Wow, that's... uh... mildly disappointing.  They just took an 8000 series GPU, beefed it up a bit, and threw two of them on a PCB.

Unless the 9800 GTX/Ultra line is a significant improvement (which I highly doubt), I'm guessing the 9800 series will be much like the FX/5000 series - a dismal failure.  Like that series, I'll probably skip over the 9800's and wait for the 10800 (or whatever they call it) to hit the market in a couple years.

We can probably thank AMD/ATI for this.  This is the result of Nvidia not having any competition.  They're holding their best stuff in reserve and relying on a two-year old design to carry them through the next generation.

-b0b
(...grumblecakes.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #40 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Yeah I pulled a bob and only read the highlights.  But the 65nm GPUs have only been around (well able to buy) since mid december.  It isn't that old of technology.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #41 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I've got a 65nm GPU sitting in my case right now.  I just think it's misleading to slap together two 8800 series GPU's on two different PCB's, glue it all together on a single megaboard, and call it a 9800 series.  The real 9800's won't be available until this summer or early fall, so why confuse consumers by marketing this crap as a 9800?

If the earlier GX2's are any indication, nVidia will never release a stable driver for this thing and will drop support for it in three or four months.  Read up on the 7800GX2 debacle to see what I'm talking about.

-b0b
(...nods sagely.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #42 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
I just bought the collector's edition of World in Conflict today.  I can't wait to try it out.

I normally don't buy "collector's editions" of anything unless the additional content is really worthwhile.  When it comes to World in Conflict, I think the extra $10.00 was really well spent because it comes with this...

In case you can't tell, it's a fragment of this...

Is it just me, or is that the coolest collector's edition add-in ever?

-b0b
(...will take pictures once he gets home.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #43 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Look at the size of that crack rock!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #44 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 5:03pm
Print Post  
Here's some screenshots I stole from the Interweb...

This game is just dying for some LANnage!

-b0b
(...drools.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #45 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
yea it really is!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint