Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Presidential Candidates (Read 102211 times)
computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Presidential Candidates
Dec 12th, 2007 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Just for fun, what presidential candidate are you guys interested in. 

Edit:  Fixed title.  -b0b
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:41am by b0b »  

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Presidential Canidates
Reply #1 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 10:33pm
Print Post  
Ron Paul, baby!

I want the feds out of everything they're not suppose to be in and into everything they are suppose to be.  I don't want a President to raise taxes, go to war unnecessarily, secure the boarders, limit the spending on the fed govt, get away from useless govt agency, abolish the Patriot Act, and I want a person who's record speaks the same as what he/she is saying now.

I find only one candidate who does all that, doesn't pander, sticks by how he wants to run and if people want to support him they come to him.

www.ronpaul2008.com

Give it serious thought.  Basically it comes down to the question of what do you think the role of the fed. govt should be and whether or not you want them to leave you alone.

If you want to be taken care of by the feds...look at someone else.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #2 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Oh good.  I didn't say anything at first, but I'm a Ron Paul fan myself also.  He's such an amazing man.

I suggest that you watch some of the presidential debates on YouTube to check out the candidate that best suites you.  http://youtube.com/youchoose

If for some reason you aren't home for the vote this January, try applying for an absentee ballot.  The pdf is listed below. 

http://stuweb.ee.mtu.edu/~njattebe/absent.pdf
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:21am by computerjuvenile »  

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #3 - Dec 12th, 2007 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Good link on the absentee ballot!

Even better to hear from another Paulite....gosh don't you hate that name?

Ron Paul supporter is much better.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:32am
Print Post  
X wrote on Dec 12th, 2007 at 11:41pm:
Even better to hear from another Paulite....gosh don't you hate that name?

It's better than "Ronbot" or "Paulistinian."

There are three candidates I would consider voting for in the primaries:

Tom Tancredo:  This is my "miracle" candidate.  If I could handpick the next president, Tancredo would be the man, but he doesn't realistically have any chance of winning the nomination.  Politically and idealogically he's as close to my own beliefs as I could ask for, but he holds a ridiculously tiny percent of the popular vote right now.  Unless something miraculous happens in the next four weeks, there is really no point in voting for him.

Fred Thompson:  Fred is a great guy and he's willing to shoot down his opponents without regard to political correctness (Michael Moore, for instance).  He's really been taking a beating the last few weeks, though.  He waited too long to get into the race and he's been too laid-back since his announcement.  I'd love to see Fred in office, but he will have to pull off an amazing comeback to get back into the running.  Fred had to give up on New Hampshire this week, focusing entirely on Iowa.  That is more than a little bit disconcerting.

Ron Paul:  Although Ron Paul and I don't see eye to eye on everything (for instance, I'd still like to hear what his replacement for the Fed is), he's definitely a strong candidate.  I've been watching him for about a year now and he's really starting to make strides in the "common American" demographic that had eluded him before.  He still needs to work on his perception as a bit of nutjob, though.

If I had to vote today, it'd be a difficult choice between Fred Thompson and Ron Paul.  Both of them are good men with solid track records.  If I absolutely had to choose between the two, Ron Paul would probably nab my vote, but only by a hair.

-b0b
(...hopes all three candidates do well.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:36am
Print Post  
I am probably going to write in Al Gore.  Who else is going to don a super suit and go off to battle the evil global warming menace!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Presidential Candidates
Reply #6 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Yeah, not to mention ManBearPig.

-b0b
(...and the Interwebs.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #7 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 10:31am
Print Post  
I think his replacement for the fed is going to be some semblance of the Fair Tax plan.  I've heard him say he likes it and just yesterday, the guy who developed the FT plan, I forget his name, was listing all the candidates who were in support for it and he said Ron Paul liked it but hasn't endorsed it in the House yet.

I think we wouldn't have to worry about the feds if we just stopped building our empire (more money at home) and had something of substance that backed up our money.  I just can't help but to worry though, that the federal reserve is neither federal nor have a reserve.  Someone they wrested control of printing money away from Congress, which the Constitution says are the only one who can print money, and their members are unknown.

They are a private banking corporation who somehow determines whether or not to bail out the American middle class...ya right...or Wall St. ... And you can see which one they go for last month by pumping some 13 billion into Wall St.  Where did this money come from and what backs it?  Well I'll answer that question with one answer.  The thin air.

X

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #8 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:21am
Print Post  
I've been thinking about fair tax a lot lately, and on the outside it seems pretty good.  Do you think that it would encourage people to buy less, that doesn't seem good at all.  I think at least it would encourage us to start using cash more, because it's untraceable, but I don't know.

WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #9 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 11:29am
Print Post  
A reasonable implementation of the Fair Tax scheme would simply replace the traditional income tax.  It wouldn't matter if you used cash or not because your tax would still come out of your paycheck.  It's just that you'd pay the same percentage as everybody else.

-b0b
(...notes there are other theories, too.)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #10 - Dec 13th, 2007 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
My second choice would be mike huckabee.  He seems to be a decent man.  Plus he once was a southern baptist preacher.  I don't like the fact that he wants to remain in the war, which is another reason I like Ron Paul.  Imagine being the only republican candidate to want to withdraw from the middle east. 

I use to be a Fred Thomson fan like Bob, but it seems to me that the man is really lazy.  I watched the Youtube/CNN debate and he was a complete moron on it.  He spoke a lot, but really didn't say anything at all.   He's asked a question, and talks about a completly different topic.  The same goes for the debate last night on C-SPAN.

WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #11 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Huckabee?  Are you kidding me?  Have you read anything at all about his tenure as governor of Arkansas?

Just about every person from Arkansas says "things were better with Clinton as governor," and that's coming from some pretty conservative people.

He increased state spending by over 65% in eight years.  He raised taxes on gasoline, refused to eliminate sales tax on groceries and medication, and - get this - instituted a "bed tax" on private nursing home patients.  Does that sound like the kind of man we need leading the United States right now?

His policies on illegal immigration also worry me.  He passed legislation mandating that illegal immigrant be given access to certain government-funded scholarships and grants.  He supports providing citizenship to aliens that have already shown their willingness to disregard American law.

Shall I keep going?

-b0b
(...thinks Huckabee is the new Flipper.)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #12 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Well, honestly I haven't had a chance to look at the background of the canidates.  I went to his website and read there, plus a little wikipedia.  That was my plan for this weekend was to read up on the background of these guys.

WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #13 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Vote for me?

stears_giuliani_logo.jpg (Attachment deleted)
AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #14 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Giuliani?  Are you serious?  GTFO!

-b0b