Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Geek News (Read 446765 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Geek News
Jan 16th, 2008 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
I figured I'd start a new thread since it's been a while.

Now most of you know me and thus have probably heard me rant about what Sci-Fi became and is trying to become.  I felt a twinge in my soul when I found out that ECW coming to Sci-Fi WASN'T a joke and for 1-3 hours a week...my station would be showing wrastlin'.  I've even come to somewhat love the crappy horror movies...even if that means canceling great shows like...oh I don't know...FARSCAPE.  Now let's see if this man will bring the station back...or if we'll get more shows that will render Sci-Fi Channel into another TNT.

I have made comments throughout the story.

Quote:
Dave Howe flies to top of Sci Fi
Hammer steps back from day-to-day control
By JOSEF ADALIAN

Dave Howe has been beamed up to prexy of Sci Fi Channel, with longtime Sci Fi chief Bonnie Hammer stepping back from day-to-day control of the channel she helped build into a basic cable powerhouse.

I should have know a woman was involved in trying to ruin my shows.  Women are always trying to change couch potato geeks and trying to give them make overs so they can date their really ugly and fat friends so the good looking ones can get with the jocks!

Howe will now have direct oversight of Sci Fi's L.A.-based original programming department, which had previously reported to Hammer. He'll also control marketing, global brand strategy and the net's rapidly expanding digital domain.

Do you know what any of those words in that list mean?  If I were to make a guess I think they're saying they're going to bring in bull riding, a weekly Lifetime movie, and a makeover show.

Hammer will still be involved in Sci Fi, but she made it clear that the network was now Howe's to run.

"I've had my shot, and our team was able to take Sci Fi from basic obscurity to a No. 6 channel," Hammer said in an interview Tuesday. "I'm still going to be a part of the process, but far more distantly. It's time for someone else to have their fun and take it to the next level. I have tremendous faith in his abilities."

What does she mean she help to bring the show out of obscurity?  She was just lucky to work in a time when Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, and a bunch of other good shows came about.  See and she talks about having fun and "taking it to the next level".  What's that mean?  More reality shows and shows that have nothing to do with science fiction?  She probably though..."Hey guys...let's mess with these geeks...Wrestling and Reality Superhero shows!"

Promotion marks a rapid ascent for Howe, who joined the NBC U cabler six years ago from the BBC.Howe started at the net as exec VP of marketing and brand strategy. He was upped to g.m. in 2004 and has helped oversee the marketing and development of programming such as "Tin Man," "BSG" and "Eureka."

Really...how hard is it to market BSG?  Hey people...want to see the best show on TV?  Ya it even answers questions it brings up and has plot conclusions...unlike that homosexual LOST show....and it makes more sense than Heroes Season 2 did.

Howe worked with Hammer and original programming chief Mark Stern to reshape the Sci Fi brand, making the network more appealing to a non-geek crowd. Cabler ended 2007 with its best ratings and revenue since its launch.

WHAT THE F$!@*&^$&%%$@!k!!!  What's the point of having a station called the Sci-Fi Channel?  How many people flip to that channel, knowing what it is and say,....wow...I was not expecting Sci-Fi shows...I thought I could get some BLOODY WRESTLING to watch.  And "more appealing to a non-geek crowd"?  Is that why you have horrible B movies (I repeat myself) like MANsquito and Harpies and other shows that are just so bad that I can't even watch them (...ok I can watch them but half the time I think...ya know with the budget they could give me at least 1 more episode of Farscape or Dead Like Me or Firefly or John Doe).  That would be like me bringing a show to Lifetime that's a game show and it's to see how far a man can punch a pregnent woman...if you cause a miscarriage while wearing the Confederate flag...double your points!  How about having Food Network bring you a work out program with only skinny, good looking people?  How about forcing TNT to stop playing the same movie 4 times a day and ruining good movies like Shawshank Redemption?  How about Telemundo having English speaking programs to cater to our non-Mexican friends?  This just makes no sense.  Yes...they might need the money gained from such shows as wrestling...but hey...if they would stop making shows no one watches...they would save and make more money.

It also will no doubt increase speculation that Hammer could be poised for another promotion within the NBC U cable universe. She's overseen USA and Sci Fi for four years now, paving the way for major growth at both cablers. And with Jeff Gaspin promoted last year to a bigger gig within the conglom, there'd be room for a new exec to just focus on heading up all of the Peacock's cablers.

Yes...yes...go and ruin another great station.  How about making G4 TV even less like TechTV was?

"I'm a happy camper, and they treat me very well here," Hammer said of her NBC U bosses. "My assumption and my hope is that I will be around for a long time."

Howe identified several major immediate and long-term goals, most of which revolve around expanding the Sci Fi brand and building revenue streams not directly connected to the linear network.

Smiley

"This brand has so much more untapped potential," Howe said. "My role is to really figure out how we take Sci Fi as a cable network and build it into more of an affinity lifestyle brand.

WTF does that even mean?   Smiley

"As things stand, we're primarily a cable TV brand," he added. "In five years' time, I'd love to be able to say that Sci Fi is no longer just a cable network but a category killer in videogames, mobile and the youth market."

Howe said that by the end of that five-year frame, he'd like to see one-third of Sci Fi's revenues coming from sources other than the cable channel. He also hinted that he's been having talks with sister company Universal Studios about launching a movie brand linked to the network.

"I'd love for there to be a Sci Fi Pictures label out there," he said, emphasizing that nothing was imminent.

Other priorities for Howe include:

* International expansion. "At the end of 2007, Sci Fi was in 10 markets," he said. "By the end of 2008, we're hoping to be in 20 markets, and I think we might even surpass that."

* Digital. Sci Fi launched a tech-themed site last year and has plans for more specialty offshoots of its Sci Fi.com hub. "You'll see us diversifying and spin off into more stand-alone websites," Howe said, identifying men 18-34 as the target of Sci Fi's digital love.

* Replacing "Battlestar Galactica." Signature skein is preparing to exit, and Howe, working with Stern, is keen to find the next big scripted success for the channel.
     More than one option
         o (Film) Battlestar Galactica
         o (Tv) Battlestar Galactica
           Series Information, Seasons, Credits, Awards
         o (Tv) Battlestar Galactica
           Series Information, Seasons, Credits, Awards

Good job...let's just slaughter a shows that's waiting to die peacefully and with dignity...and let's just strip away its flesh so that it'll be picked clean and the fans can tare out their eyes with a rusty spoon.

"We just screened two pilots," Howe said. The WGA strike "has slowed us down, but it won't stop our growth in 2008."

Exec is also keen on continuing Sci Fi's expansion into unscripted series, pointing to the success of shows such as "Ghost Hunters."

Ok...I've got to go stick my finger down my throat now from looking at all those terms that have no real meanings as remembering that Billy Baldwin played in Harpies which I watched all the way through.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: Geek News
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2008 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
I am helpful!

grab_a_beer_and_watch.png (Attachment deleted)
AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2008 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
So I saw Cloverfield just a bit ago and I went in hating the hype and not really caring about it all that much.

I do have to say that it was worth seeing and I have to say it's one of the better monster vs. city/populace movie I've seen.

I'd give it at least a B+ and at most an A- .  I thought the ending was a bit bad and that's where it lost a lot of points from my scorecard.

I don't want to say anything more than that just in case people watch it.  However if you know and probably heard my gripes about todays movies you'd know how rare it is for me to give any current movie more than a C.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 12:24am
Print Post  
The number one reason why Picard is better than Kirk...

http://hardcoredinosaursex.ytmnd.com/

Dinosaurs don't rape Picard.

-b0b
(...snickers.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 1:00am
Print Post  
Wow Picard fans are getting so desperate now to try and win their point with their minimal points that they've resorted to making stuff up.

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 1:45am
Print Post  
looked convincing to me

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2008 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
This coming from a guy who used to sculpt fat, naked men with clay.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2008 at 8:34am
Print Post  
Exactly.  Briney is an expert on the matter, so if he says it looks convincing, who are you to argue?   Tongue

Now, here's the logical question.  What era did that dinosaur come from?

-b0b
(...thinks that dinosaur was just trying to evolve.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Could the next Indy movie take us back to the warehouse where the Ark is stored?

X
(Attention should be drawn to the crates...and not how dreamy Indy is)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
It should be noted that the writing on the crates is in English, not German.

-b0b
(...thought he'd point that out.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2008 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
You have to remember that the Ark was crated up in an American box inside the Nazi box so as not to touch the Ark and become all melty.

X
(Geek point +1 for X...-1 for bob)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,

Briney and I decided we'd like to try a podcast and so we started one up for this Saturday around 8 PM on talkshoe

http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/14391

The topic of the podcast will be about movies and I hope to make it a routine thing.  If anyone can join that'd be great.  The good thing about talkshoe is that you can have other people call in and there's a chat and we'd think it'd be fun to talk about movie.

So go to the link on Saturday at 8.

Thanks!

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Are you entertaining all questions?  Or just movie questions?

...or only PG-13 questions? Sad

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
More along the lines of movie questions...however if you can keep some of the 4 letter words out that'd be nice.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Any movie?