Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) The LAN Castle™ (Read 44462 times)
spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Re: The LAN Castle™
Reply #30 - May 16th, 2008 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
Quote:
(...points out that his toaster even has LED's, which need to be modded.)

You said that what 4 years ago...still no modded toaster.

BURN!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #31 - May 16th, 2008 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
I guarantee I'll mod my toaster the minute Briney finishes BFE.

-b0b
(...thinks that could be awhile.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #32 - May 16th, 2008 at 1:33pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I guarantee I'll mod my toaster the minute Briney finishes BFE.

Maybe he already did...and forgot that he did it and where he saved it.

Yeah, that's probably what happened.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #33 - May 17th, 2008 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Yeah, Briney organizes his files about as often as Wes's Mom bathes, which is to say... never.

Meredith and I finally closed on the house yesterday, and we've got writer's cramp from signing so freakin' many documents.  It was absolutely crazy.

We've already started the monumental task of cleaning the house.  We need to clean and paint virtually every wall, replace nearly every light fixture, and steam-clean every carpet about six times.  There isn't a wall, ceiling, floor, or surface that doesn't need to be scrubbed.  Blech!

We've already started taking our "before" pictures, so I'll get some posted later tonight if I get a chance.

-b0b
(...makes no promises!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #34 - May 17th, 2008 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Cool, so LAN tomorrow then! Cya then!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #35 - May 18th, 2008 at 12:47am
Print Post  
There is no possible way we can have a LAN tomorrow.  The refrigerator won't arrive until sometime next week, so we'd have no place to chill the Dew/Jolt/Bawls/Red Bull.

No Dew, no LAN!

-b0b
(...mmm, Dew!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #36 - May 18th, 2008 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Jolt?  The only place I ever found that sweet sweet nectarine was Canada!

Where do you get it?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #37 - May 18th, 2008 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
It's been a couple of years since I've seen it, but you can still find it occasionally at random gas stations.

-b0b
(...also notes that Spencer's used to sell it back in the day.)

IP Logged

Keledin
GeekCrew n00b

Reply #38 - May 19th, 2008 at 2:29am
Print Post  
Speedway in Schoolcraft (just as you cross the railroad tracks on the west side of the highway) regularly carries Jolt.

-Corey

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #39 - May 19th, 2008 at 8:30am
Print Post  
Since Corey used one of his bimonthly posts on that submission (0.02 per day!), you know it must be true!

Mere and I only had a few hours to work on the house this weekend, but we managed to get quite a bit done.  We've torn down all of the incredibly ugly window dressings, moved and installed the stove (thanks Spanky!), replaced the door knobs/locks, and done a fair amount of cleaning.  Honestly, house work isn't that bad when its your own house!

I've also started replacing the light switches and electrical outlets throughout the house.  The light switches have integrated dimmers that I really like, and all of the electrical outlets are surge-protected.  They're a bit of a pain in the butt to install, but built-in surge protectors is simply a geekly must-have. 

So far, I've replaced two light switches and one receptacle and only managed to zap myself once.  How's that for a track record?  I only have ~20 more light switches and ~25 more receptacles to go, which is 15 more zaps if my current rate holds steady.

Of course, I've found a couple of issues that I'm not sure how to correct.  Some of the outlets in the living room are from 1924(-ish) and have only two prongs.  Since they don't have a ground, I'll have to pull a grounding wire to them from the basement.  That will be practically impossible since the basement has a drywall ceiling, preventing me from fishing a ground wire up the wall from downstairs.

Meredith has all the pictures on her camera and she's been stuck at her mother's house dog-sitting for most of the weekend, so I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow night.

-b0b
(...just realized he posts 236 times more often than Corey.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #40 - May 19th, 2008 at 8:44am
Print Post  
...and on a side note, the stove really is sexy.  So there.

-b0b
(...neener!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #41 - May 22nd, 2008 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
So do you still plan on moving in on Friday?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #42 - May 23rd, 2008 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Yeah, next Friday will be the big day day.  Meredith and I both have Thursday off and we've engaged the services of a moving company to move all of our big furniture (like that #@%#$^ heavy desk of mine).  Once that is done, we'll probably start moving some of our stuff over Thursday afternoon.

Friday will be the big day for moving everything else.  I've got Friday off, too, so I'll get started in the AM and Meredith will join me once she gets out of work.  Books, clothes, and everything else will probably get moved over Friday morning/afternoon.  That leaves us Saturday to clean up the apartment and move any items that may have been overlooked.  Hopefully, that will give us Saturday afternoon to relax and enjoy the fruits of our labor, so to speak!

-b0b
(...is ready!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #43 - May 23rd, 2008 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Picture Time!

Meredith and I have been busting our butts all week trying to get the house into livable condition.  By far, our biggest project has been the master bathroom on the ground level.  The bathroom had the ugliest, dirtiest wallpaper you've ever seen.  In addition, the carpet was completely ruined (which is why you never put carpet in a bathroom in the first place).  Both need to be removed before we can paint and put down new vinyl flooring.

Here's the butt-ugly wallpaper before we got started.

As you can see, the wallpaper was absolutely hideous.  This "nook" is for the washer and dryer hookups.  You can see how badly the carpet and wall was damaged by years of abuse.

Removing the wallpaper is a two-step process.  First, I had to tear down all of the wallpaper by hand, one piece at a time.  It took about four hours to get this first part done.

Once all of the wallpaper was down, we moved on to phase two.  We borrowed a steamer and started removing the nasty glue/paper combo that was left behind when the wallpaper was removed.  If you look closely in this picture, you'll see the seam on the wall where the old wallpaper used to be.  We've spent a combined four hours on this so far, and probably have another 6-10 to go.  SUXOR.

After the glue/paper remnants are removed, we'll have to scrub the walls to remove any remaining debris.  Then, the walls will be primed at least once with Kilz, and then painted.  After the paint is dry, we'll pull up the old carpet, clean and prime the old wood floor beneath it,  remove the toilet, and start laying vinyl tile.  That should be interesting...

-b0b
(...has never pulled a toilet or laid a floor before.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #44 - May 23rd, 2008 at 10:36am
Print Post  
Here are a couple more pictures for your twisted enjoyment.

The first order of business was changing the locks on the doors.  The front door has a "Hobbit handle" just below the bottom of this picture, which is situated about two feet above the bottom of the door.  I think midgets used to live here...

Here's Meredith posing in front of the incredibly dark and ugly window dressings that came with the house.  After changing the door locks, the very first thing I did when we got the house was tear down every curtain, valance, and shade in the entire house.

You would not believe how incredibly dark the house was with all of those ugly curtains.  Of all the cleaning, scrubbing, etc. we've done, removing the curtains was the single biggest improvement we've made so far.  Once we get moved in, we'll put up simple white mini-blinds to keep harsh light down.

Here's a picture of the wood-burning fireplace.  I've used a lot of gas fireplaces before, but never the real deal.  Most likely, this thing will only get lit on Christmas.  I'd like to remove the mirror above the mantle and replace it with one of the old-time drawings of the planet.

I managed to wire the oven to a new cord and get it plugged in without killing myself.  That deserves a thumbs up.

Does something look wrong with this hammer to you?  This is why you don't pull 4" nails with a tack hammer.  I accidentally left my hammer at home, and all I had in my toolbox was this puny thing.

Check out this lovely wallpaper border (and matching paint!) in one of the upstairs bedrooms.  This room will be my office until I finish remodeling the basement later this summer.  Yes, the border will be removed and the room repainted first!

More pics to come later!

-b0b
(...will really get some work done this weekend!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint