Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Unreal Tournament 3 Game Deal - Now with Review! (Read 7711 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Unreal Tournament 3 Game Deal - Now with Review!
Apr 19th, 2008 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Just in case any of you are interested in buying Unreal Tournament 3, I've been scoping it out for a couple months and found a really good deal on it tonight.  I thought I'd let you guys know in case any of you want to jump on it.

At GameStop, you can get the Collector's Edition of Unreal Tournament III for $29.99, which - oddly enough - is the exact same price as the regular edition.  The bonus content is kinda retarded (as expected), but it comes in a durable and sexy black steel package.  I also wanted to buy the Unreal Anthology at the same time (all prior Unreal titles) for $19.99.  When I went to check out, the cashier told me the Anthology was free with the UT3 purchase - totally unadvertised, but totally awesome.  So, for $29.99 you can get...

• Unreal
  • Unreal: Return to Na Pali
  • Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition
  • Unreal II: The Awakening
  • Unreal Tournament 2004:  Editor's Choice Edition
  • Unreal Tournament III: Collector's Edition

Essentially, you get every Unreal game plus all the bonus content, extra maps, special character models/skins, mods, etc.  The anthology also has a bonus music CD, and the UT3 Collector's Edition has a nifty hardcover art book and 20+ hours of map/mod making tutorials, behind-the-scenes videos, and all that other jazz.

All in all, if you're looking for some UT action, you can't beat this deal.

-b0b
(...will write a mini-review on UT3 later.)

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2008 at 10:20am by b0b »  

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Unreal Tournament 3 Game Deal
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 10:10am
Print Post  

Review time!

I can summarize this entire review in four words:  This game kicks ass!

Admittedly, I'm a bit of an Unreal Tournament fanboy.  I've been playing UT since the original came out in 1999, and have wasted countless hundreds of hours playing around with fan-created content and getting my butt kicked online. 

I liked the direction Epic took with UT 2003/2004 with the new game types and the addition of vehicles, but the gameplay seemed to be slower than the original UT.  The entire charm of UT, for me, was the ridiculous speed at which the game ran.  You got in fast, you got your weapons, you made a few kills, and you died.  Then you started all over again.

UT3 has done the impossible by combining the speed of the original UT with the enhancements of UT 2004.  You respawn immediately upon dying (instead of waiting forever like Counterstrike: Source or Battlefield 2).  Vehicles play a bigger role in other game styles like Capture the Flag, and a larger number of vehicles are at your disposal.  Each team has at least two flying vehicles and four or five ground vehicles, including one tank and one super-death-r0x0r vehicle of DOOM.  Even if you're playing on a map with several massive über-vehicles, though, you can still kick a lot of ass on foot.  That's a nice change of pace.

Interestingly, Epic actually put a lot of effort into the single player mode.  The original UT had a "combat ladder" which was simply a bunch of maps with pre-set bad guys, and UT 2004 had a lame tournament system that allowed you to earn credits to buy and pay team mates.  In UT3, a fairly sizable war campaign has been added with a decent plot and some respectable voice acting.  You're hired by a private corporation as part of a security force and you get to fight your way across the planet to protect your company's interests.

The level design is everything I've come to expect from Epic.  The levels vary greatly in style and substance, but all of them are perfectly polished and really appeal to their specific game types.  Deathmatch levels are tight and fast with plenty of corridors and blind corners.  Warfare (think UT2004 Onslaught mode) maps are absolutely massive and feature a lot of interesting terrain with multiple pathways to each objective.  The maps are a riot when you get 40+ players online.

The only downside I had in my UT3 experience was a driver problem, which is Creative Lab's fault, not Epic's fault.  As has been the case for the past decade, Creative's audio drivers are total crap.  I have to disable Hardware OpenAL support or the game will crash to the desktop every five minutes.  I've tried a variety of drivers, but Creative seems to be unaware of the problem (or they simply don't care).  Suck it, Creative.

The graphics are, of course, absolutely top notch.  I played a little bit of UT2004 just for nostalgia last night, and the difference is astounding.  The outdoor maps have believable foliage and grass, while the indoor maps have believably rusty metals and dank, damp corridors.  The wooden buildings in the Japanese levels look incredibly realistic.  Graphical realism is absolutely top notch, and it seems to be done in a way that doesn't strain PC resources.

If you love first person shooters, buy this game.  I promise you won't be disappointed!

-b0b
(...best $30 he's spent in a long time.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Unreal Tournament 3 Game Deal - Now with Revie
Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
That chick must be an alien her boobs are not only NOT 34FFF as we've come to expect from our video game females, but they are sagging and lopsided!

Good review though.   Smiley

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
I'm glad you cut through to the most important aspects of my review.  Bravo!

-b0b
(...has to agree, though.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Gravity must be higher on that planet...

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
It's probably the character designer's fault.  Poor guy has probably never seen real bewbies.

-b0b
(...cries.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Oh come on...Briney has seen plenty of men chest-icles

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2008 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Maybe that's why those things look more like manmaries (moobs?) than real bewbies.

-b0b
(...wonders what Briney's comment will be?)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint