Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic More Giggage! (Read 7445 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

More Giggage!
Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Some of my stock choices have been performing well lately, so I decided to sell off a couple of my positions before they tank and buy a couple computer parts.

For the server, I'm swapping out a 250GB hard drive and replacing it with a 750GB drive.  That, combined with the existing 500GB hard drive, should give me a bit more breathing room for the FTP stuff.  Would any of you guys be interested in me re-opening the FTP server?

I also picked up another 2GB of DDR3 RAM for the Bobulator VII, which will bring me up to 4GB again.  2GB is a decent amount of RAM, but 4GB will be a lot more comfortable for gaming on Vista.  I bought the exact same 2GB pack of OCZ DDR3 as I bought in December, but the prices has fallen by almost 2/3!  It was $279.99 in December, but I picked it up for $99.00 today.  Sweet!

So, how much RAM and storage space do you guys have these days?  Between the server and the Bobulator, I'll have about 2TB in storage space.  I bet Briney has me beat there!  The server also has 2GB in RAM, but I'm thinking about throwing one more stick to max it out at 3GB.

-b0b
(...schwing!)

IP Logged

computerjuvenile
GeekCrew Luser

Re: More Giggage!
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
I hate to tell you this Bob, but my Macbook has more ram than your server.  And you always make fun of me being a steve jobs fanboy(which I'm not)

I only have about 3/4 of a TB.  Which holds all the episodes of Star Trek. Original Series (Including the very first episode with Pike) TNG, DS9, VOY and a few of the movies.  If anyone wants them let me know, I'll be down state in a week or so for the rest of the summer.

Let me think about that hard drive.  I'm thinking about moving my server up a little, and it doesn't have to be great specs because I just use it for testing.

And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.
WWWGTalkAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
The server is running on an AMD Athlon XP 3000+, how much RAM do you think it needs?  The server really serves three main purposes; storing FTP stuff (videos, music, games, etc.), hosting the web forum, and hosting my e-mail server.

I don't make enough money to keep the Bobulator and the network rack and the server running with the latest and greatest components, so the server usually receives the "hand-me-downs" from the Bobulator.  From time to time I'll throw it a bone and buy a new component to replace one that is dead, dying, or severely outdated, but all in all it works just fine on 3-4 year old equipment.

-b0b
(...wonders just how much RAM you have in that Macintrash, anyway?)
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2010 at 1:40pm by b0b »  

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Also, I'm willing to bet the RAM in the Bobulator is a heck of a lot faster than the stuff in your MacBook.  So HA.

-b0b
(...DDR3 10666, laaaaadies!)
« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2008 at 5:30pm by b0b »  

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Some of my stock choices have been performing well lately

I told you wes' mom turns a better profit on that side of town!

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Which holds all the episodes of Star Trek. Original Series (Including the very first episode with Pike) TNG, DS9, VOY and a few of the movies.

What no Enterprise?  Psh...rookie.

Ya, bob, let's start with the FTP again...that was much fun.  I'll have to update my full list of everything I have and send that out for all to drool over.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
I think I might have to bring a dvd or 2 with me for the 4th and get some TNG from you.

Need something to occupy my time until I can save up more money for car parts.  Cry

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2008 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Well, hopefully I'll get the bigger hard drive on Friday and I'll have a chance to get it installed this weekend.  I'll let you guys know!

-b0b
(...can set up the FTP in about fifteen minutes once that's done.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint