Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 192139 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Game Thread!
Jul 11th, 2008 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Since there are a ton of new games on the horizon (Fallout 3, Diablo 3, Chrono Trigger DS, Call of Duty: World at War, etc.), I though I would start a new thread to keep game-related topics separate from the news threads.  Enjoy!

-b0b
(...loves games.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 9:31am
Print Post  

Here's a mini-trailer for Call of Duty: World at War.  It looks pretty sweet graphically, but I'm not sure we really need another World War II FPS.  It's been done to death.

I'd like to see a "Cold War gone hot" FPS with the Call of Duty 4 engine.  That would be freakin' sweet!  Anyway, here's the trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35341.html

Unfortunately, the people making CoD:WaW are the same people that developed Call of Duty 3.  Which sucked.  Chances are good that this game will suck too, but it is too early to tell.

-b0b
(...will probably get it anyway, though.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 9:45am
Print Post  

OMG!  Diablo 3!  With this many awesome games on the horizon, I'm going to be bankrupt by the end of the decade!

Quote:
After the Fire Dancers had left the main stage and the crowds has dispersed, many jubilant, I headed for the jam-packed press conference where journalists got to give Blizzard’s Jay Wilson (Lead Designer on Diablo III) and co-founder Frank Pearce a grilling about Diablo III.

“It’s been in development for a few years. About four.” Wilson admits and of course, when asked the next Big Question: a release date, he gives the typical Blizzard response. “When it’s done,”

Blizzard co-founder Frank Pearce was quick to add that, even after four years, “it’s far too early in development.”

You can download the high-resolution gameplay video here.

-b0b
(...is glad they're sticking to the original theme.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Yeah when I loaded up Blizzards page and saw the Diablo 3 logo I just about nearly crapped myself....true story b0b.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:05am
Print Post  
The new Call of Duty is going to be like CoD3 but with the graphics of CoD4. It'll be gay but look good.  IMO CoD4 is the best FPS ever.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Stick wrote on Jul 11th, 2008 at 11:05am:
IMO CoD4 is the best FPS ever.

I love CoD4 as much as the next person, but I wouldn't go that far.

I might even be willing to admit that it's the best modern military FPS ever, but I definitely wouldn't give it the title of "Best FPS EVARRRR!!!!111"

Leave that title to the real FPS blockbusters, like the original Unreal Tournament.  That game single-handedly defined a new niche in the FPS genre.  Not even CoD4 can't claim that honor.

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
I still find it odd that CoD3 was never released for the PC.  WTF?

X
(/unless I'm mistaken?)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
ya i finally fired up cod4 on the xbox and after the first couple levels i gotta say its pretty amazing. Like playing a movie. kudos to the devs.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I was absolutely amazed when I first fired it up.  I received it from my mother-in-law as a Christmas gift, otherwise I probably never would have played it.  It really took realism to a whole new level.

-b0b
(...schwing!)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Jus out of curiousity have any of you played the new Civilization: Revolutions?  It looks pretty neat from the commercials and I've been wanting to get a good strategy type game for the 360.  Thought about maybe checking it out, but I hate to drop 60 dollars on a game that sucks....

Any opinions out there on it?  Briney? Pat?...I don't want b0bs cuz he has a horrible taste in game in my opinion Smiley

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2008 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
It looked like a good regular civ game with a graphical update (finally) it has a sims kinda feel with the advisor's but it looks cool. I didnt get to play it much, we just had the demo at work. But I was thinking of picking it up on that alone. I think it is reviewing well so far.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2008 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
The_Fat_Man wrote on Jul 12th, 2008 at 2:41pm:
I don't want b0bs cuz he has a horrible taste in game in my opinion Smiley

Yeah, I've got horrible taste in women, too, but you should be thankful that I keep your mom in business.

I love real-time strategy games, but I'm not a big fan of turn-based games.  Might & Magic was the shiznit back in the day, but Civilization never really held my attention.  My attention span is too short for that kind of game.

Civilization: Revolutions looks pretty interesting, though.  Meredith loves the Civ series, so I might pick it up eventually.

-b0b
(...w00t.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #12 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 11:09am
Print Post  
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19399

Quote:
As part of what it calls an initiative to "re-establish itself as an innovative leader," publisher Apogee (Commander Keen, Wolfenstein 3-D) has announced it is working with mobile developer MachineWorks Northwest to bring a new Duke Nukem trilogy to unspecified handheld consoles.

Apogee, which was a pioneer in PC 'shareware' gaming, and, it notes, "episodic gaming and online distribution," says it plans to revive "some of its legacy catalogue of 30+ releases as well as publishing all-new properties in collaboration with diverse creators and developers."

To start, the publisher says it will be working with 3D Realms and MachineWorks Northwest on Duke Nukem Triology, a handheld title comprised of three episodes titled Critical Mass, Chain Reaction, and Proving Grounds.

Well at least we will get SOME version of Duke Nukem... Probably before the new game, heh.

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 11:30am
Print Post  
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19394

Wii Is 'Expensive Niche' Says Sony’s Stringer

Wii Is 'Expensive Niche' Says Sony’s Stringer Ahead of this week’s E3 expo and the all important pre-conference media briefings from the three console manufacturers, Sony CEO Howard Stringer has spoken out against the Wii – again dismissing it as not being a direct competitor to the PlayStation 3.

Speaking at a media conference, Stringer was quoted by a new Bloomberg report, as stating, "I've played a Nintendo Wii. I don't see it as a competitor. It's more of an expensive niche game device. We're selling a lot of PlayStation 3s now and it's still the best way to buy a Blu-ray player.”

Stringer dismissed the Wii as a director competitor due to its lack of media features and, according to the Bloomberg report, access to the Internet.

Quote:
"I've played a Nintendo Wii. I don't see it as a competitor. It's more of an expensive niche game device. We're selling a lot of PlayStation 3s now and it's still the best way to buy a Blu-ray player.”

Hahahaha! Proof that all sony is trying to make is a blu-ray player. Niche game device... haha What are you trying to make sony? I know microsoft and sony are both trying to push a super multimedia device, but at what expense?

Jan-May 2008 sales:

Ps3:   1.2 million
Xbox: 1.12 million
Wii:    2.8 million

Looks like people want  this "niche gaming device" more than your ps3, sir.

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Wii is a niche game device...a crap game device.  However, what the douchebag said makes the PS3 a niche movie device.  Derrrrr!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 79
Send TopicPrint