Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 196697 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #1155 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Oculus has released a trailer showing the 30+ games that will be available at launch for the Rift.  Some of them look a bit questionable (for example, what does VR add to a pinball game?), but the overall lineup looks surprisingly tight.

-b0b
(...is all about that space shooter goodness!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1156 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I know I've been posting a lot of VR stuff lately, but this is seriously amazing.  Developers are using VR HMDs to create virtual desktops, turning your PC's desktop into a 3D theater and integrating with 3D video and images.  I am totally psyched to try this out!

On a side note, shipping notices have started going out for the earliest Rift shipments (to Kickstarter backers).  My Rift is supposed to shift sometime in April, so I've got another 1-5 weeks to go.

-b0b
(...although the Vive is definitely looking sexy.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1157 - Mar 23rd, 2016 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
You'll have to let me know how the headset feels.  I want to get one, but I'm worried they won't work well with my glasses.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1158 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 9:43am
Print Post  

The first Rifts are shipping this morning, scheduled for delivery on Monday 03/28.  Please, please, please let them live up to the hype!

The_Fat_Man wrote on Mar 23rd, 2016 at 11:55pm:
You'll have to let me know how the headset feels.

No idea when mine will arrive (sometime in April, supposedly), but I'm a little worried about comfort.  I had a chance to try Briney's Rift DK2 about a year ago and it was fine for a short burst, but I have no idea what the CV1 will be like after extended play.  Most of the game journalists have used both the Rift and the Vive for ~30 minute stretches without complaint, but that doesn't really compare to a marathon gaming session.

-b0b
(...to the bunker!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1159 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 5:42pm
Print Post  
For those of you that follow Final Fantasy, Square just announced a feature-length movie set in the Final Fantasy XV universe:

They're also producing a four-part anime series.  The first part is available free on YouTube:

-b0b
(...loves him some FF.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1160 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 8:19am
Print Post  
For those of you still playing Fallout 3, here's the trailer for the Wasteland Workshop DLC.  Can't say it's got me too excited.

http://youtu.be/NtcUF5gHQJw

-b0b
(...is still burned out on it.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1161 - May 11th, 2016 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
Apparently, it is time for another Civ game.  Here's a teaser trailer for Civ VI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeMkgoH2iHQ

-b0b
(...hasn't even played Civ V yet.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1162 - May 14th, 2016 at 2:08am
Print Post  
Civ 5 was the best of the series.  Here's to hoping 6 continues the tradition!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1163 - May 17th, 2016 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Great googly moogly, it's (almost) happening!  It's almost a month late at this point, but hey, better late than never!

-b0b
(...weeeeee!)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1164 - May 18th, 2016 at 10:27am
Print Post  
I wish I could be happy for you, but I don't care abut VR Wink

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1165 - May 20th, 2016 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
I received my Rift CV1 yesterday and had a chance to put it to the test for a few hours last night.  It is definitely a first generation device and there are a few bugs to be worked out, but I enjoyed myself immensely.  I'm stealing this picture from a review because I'm too lazy to take my own.

The packaging was incredibly well done.  I'm pretty sure you could drop the box off a two story building and the Rift wouldn't get so much as a scratch.  The presentation is also top notch, with integrated cable management and an excellent layout. 

The Rift CV1 hardware is also a substantial improvement over the DK1 and DK2.  The headset is very lightweight and comfortable to wear for extended periods.  Best of all, I didn't get hot and sweaty wearing it the way I did with Briney's DK2.  In my opinion, the biggest downside to the Rift is the lack of peripheral vision.  You get used to it quickly, but the first few minutes felt like I was wearing blinders.

The Oculus application/store is pretty janky and needs a lot of work.  The desktop application is missing a lot of basic functionality like game ratings and genre sorting/filtering, and the VR version is even worse.  The games only have a handful of crappy low-res screenshots and, for some reason that I can't fathom, you can't even watch a trailer or other video content.  It seems fairly obvious Oculus threw the storefront together as an afterthought.

Games and experiences are all over the map.  So far, I've only played one of the games that came with the Rift (Eve: Valkyrie) and a handful of free "experiences" that run the gamut.

Lucky's Tale - This is a colorful platformer that was free with the Rift.  It looks like a lot of fun, but it won't detect the XBox One controller that came with the Rift.  The controller works fine for other games and the Oculus VR store and management interface.  Insta-FAIL!  I'll probably screw around with this later, but lots of other people are reporting the same problem.  Video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbhFj34g0Cs

Eve: Valkyrie - This is a first-person space combat action sim that also came free with the Rift.  So far, this has been the clear winner out of everything I dabbled with last night.  I sunk a solid two hours into the game and I'm dying to get back to it tonight.  It is fast-paced and you really need to keep your head on a swivel to survive.  If you don't keep an eye on the space above, below, and behind you, you're going to get whacked.  Trailer here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TmMIGOevis

I bought a couple more games today that I'll try out tonight.  AirMech: Command is a MOBA/RTS title where you control a number of flying mechs in combat.  I've played a different version of the game called AirMech and enjoyed it, so I figured this was a no-brainer.  The VR version turns AirMech into a nifty tabletop that seems like it will be pretty cool.  Check it out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOjgmyVesgM

I'm also itching to try out the tower defense game Defense Grid 2.  I've played the original Defense Grid and picked up DG2 during a Steam sale, but haven't tried it yet.  The developers recently added a VR mode that allows you to move around the battlefield and see it in 360 degrees.  Video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYVI74Ocjtg

-b0b
(...and no motion sickness, yay!)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1166 - May 27th, 2016 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
No Man's Sky was delayed until August 9th today.   Angry

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1167 - May 28th, 2016 at 11:17am
Print Post  
The_Fat_Man wrote on May 27th, 2016 at 7:43pm:
No Man's Sky was delayed until August 9th today.   Angry

I really, really, really want to be hyped about that game.  It looks beautiful, the gameplay seems interesting, and the concept is really cool.  That said, I've yet to play a game that made heavy use of procedural generation that wasn't incredibly boring and repetitive.

I wish the No Man's Sky team the very best of luck, but they've got one hell of a hurdle to overcome.

-b0b
(...will definitely buy it if it isn't awful.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #1168 - Jun 6th, 2016 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Square Enix has announced a re-release of Final Fantasy XII for the PS4, coming in 2017.  With luck, this will also get ported to PC.  FF12 is one of my favorite games in the series and I've played through it a few times over the years.  It is getting higher resolution backgrounds and character models along with revamped cutscenes.  It will have dual audio in 7.1 surround sound and a remastered sound track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2-bWotLKqo

Based on the new subtitle, I'm guessing this is going to be based on the International Zodiac Edition. I played through a fan sub of that version a couple years ago on PC and enjoyed it, although I think I liked the original license board more.

If you've not seen the International Zodiac Edition, you choose a job/class for each character (e.g. Samurai, Knight, Time Mage, White Mage, etc.). The character then gets a customized (and much smaller) license board specific to that class. Grinding out the massive license board in the regular version was one of my favorite parts of the game, so I would have preferred customized boards that were much larger, but c'est la vie.

-b0b
(...is glad to see XII getting some love.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #1169 - Jun 8th, 2016 at 10:58am
Print Post  
12 is the only Final Fantasy I never beat.  So i'm pretty excited for this release.  It will be a brand new game for me!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 
Send TopicPrint