Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 79 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Game Thread! (Read 192188 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game Thread!
Reply #15 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Jul 14th, 2008 at 11:30am:
Jan-May 2008 sales:

Ps3:   1.2 million
Xbox: 1.12 million
Wii:    2.8 million

I always love to throw out sales numbers when people bash the Wii.  We own all three systems, and the Wii sees more game-related use than the PS3 and XBox combined.  Of course, my PC gaming is higher yet...

And what was the BS about the Wii not having Internet access?  Nintendo released the Wii browser back in May or June of last year, for crying out loud.

-b0b
(...what a moron!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #16 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
New Fallout 3 trailers from this morning at E3 2008.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36197.html
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36202.html

-b0b
(...weee!)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #17 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
The Wii is a "niche" gaming device.  Its just a really big niche.  While most of the games on the Wii are boring to a serious gamer, the majority of people in the world are NOT hardcore gamers.

I know TONS of people who own and LOVE their Wii and you wouldn't probably even guess them as a gamer.

Nintendo is doing things smart, and it kinda pisses alot of gamers off lol

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #18 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 10:28am
Print Post  
yea i think its silly that people become such huge fanboys of whatever console... What's the point. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Nintendo knows how to make money, knows how to market to people, that's what they do. Then you have Microsoft and Sony over in the corner trying to outdo each other in the graphics and media machine department.

Basically Sony has blu-ray, Microsoft has shooters, Nintendo has casual gamers (and the rabid nintendo fans). Pick your pleasure and quit raggin on what other people get.

But we can still mock Sony for Final Fantasy 13 going to the Xbox 360.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #19 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Why choose?  Buy all three!

-b0b
(...is kidding!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #20 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Why buy a system that will move to the next generation in 3 years and limit backwards compatibility to their older games?

Buy none of them!

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #21 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Nah, just hedge your bet with a decent gaming PC.

-b0b
(...so get all 4!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #22 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
and if you keep saying that youll just miss out on a buncha great games till you are 60 and buy the supermegadeluxe console that plays everything ever made and even generates 3d games from classic books like Treasure Island and Robinson Crusoe and displays them directly into your brain!

...orrr buy a console and get some good enjoyment out of it for 3 or 4 years. Costs less than your computer upgrades in the same timeframe.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #23 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
For what its worth, game consoles have a pretty decent lifespan, especially compared with a "gaming PC."  The average lifespan of a successful console if at 5-7 years, whereas the average gaming PC is lucky to make it 2.5-3 years.

-b0b
(...just sayin'.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #24 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
and if you keep saying that youll just miss out on a buncha great games till you are 60 and buy the supermegadeluxe console that plays everything ever made and even generates 3d games from classic books like Treasure Island and Robinson Crusoe and displays them directly into your brain!

...orrr buy a console and get some good enjoyment out of it for 3 or 4 years. Costs less than your computer upgrades in the same timeframe.

Or I could just not buy into the console war and find a way to run the games on a PC.

X

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #25 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Why choose?  Buy all three!

You're a consumer whore...and a real whore!

AIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #26 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Patrick you are such a non conformist! I would wish I was like you but then I would be a conformist.

I don't care if you get a console or not, but if you see games that you want to play on them but wont because you "aren't buying into the console war" then you are dumb.

If you are going to get a 42" tv/monitor , why don't you wait for the OLED tvs that are half an inch thick, or whatever is coming next after that. Formats and technology change all the time, the important thing is you get whatever use out of them that you want, while they are out.

If you won't use it, don't get it. But don't knock those that get consoles because they enjoy playing the games that come out for them. Yes, even the Wii. Even though you think its stupid, its fun as all get out to play with other people. And even tho I think it's thin, some people enjoy playing the ps3 *gasp*

meh, to each his own. I'm havin fun with the xbox thats for sure. And when Fable 2 comes out... score!

As for emulation, they still haven't gotten all the ps2 games to work properly on the PC, except for the most powerful machines. So you will be very behind in that regard.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #27 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:02pm:
...but if you see games that you want to play on them but wont because you "aren't buying into the console war" then you are dumb.

GEEK FIGHT!!!

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #28 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Patrick you are such a non conformist! I would wish I was like you but then I would be a conformist.

I don't care if you get a console or not, but if you see games that you want to play on them but wont because you "aren't buying into the console war" then you are dumb.

Well there are cars that I want to drive but don't buy either.  Sure there are games I want to play, but I don't want to have to spend $800 just to play a $60 game and then have that $800 system be obsolete in 3 years.  I just can't see spending so much money for a game either.  I don't know why I'm really not into consoles, I guess after I bought my Playstation and saw a few years later, the PS2 come out for $300...I just didn't want to try and keep up.

Quote:
If you are going to get a 42" tv/monitor , why don't you wait for the OLED tvs that are half an inch thick, or whatever is coming next after that. Formats and technology change all the time, the important thing is you get whatever use out of them that you want, while they are out.

Oh come now, that's flawed logic and I hope you know it.  TVs will be able to be used no matter what new tech comes out.  The TV shows run just as well on 1950s TVs as they do today's.  I don't need the top of the line all the time, every few years I just want to catch up...as well as with my computer tech....I don't want to have to do it as often as I get an oil change.  I know I am of two minds, I want tech to increase but at the same time, I think it's kind of ridiculousness how the consumers seem to get screwed if they don't have the latest thing.
Quote:
If you won't use it, don't get it. But don't knock those that get consoles because they enjoy playing the games that come out for them. Yes, even the Wii. Even though you think its stupid, its fun as all get out to play with other people. And even tho I think it's thin, some people enjoy playing the ps3 *gasp*

Psh, I'll make fun of any and all the consoles I want.  I like making fun of people who think the Wii is the most awesomest thing like in forever.  I liken the Wii players to Fantasy Football players.  They make fun of D&D people for being nerds, yet they think they're cool.  I just can't stand all the hokeyness that the Wii has including gay little characters, Wii fit, and even the name itself.  I find flaws with all systems, even though I might play with them...and yes, I will continue to make fun of them all and all of you who play them.

Quote:
As for emulation, they still haven't gotten all the ps2 games to work properly on the PC, except for the most powerful machines. So you will be very behind in that regard.

Oh well, my computer is older than all the consoles out right now...and I can still play the new games today...just think about that.  XBox comes out with a chip you swap every 3 years and it makes it a new model...cheaper and efficient.  Plus...who has all the room for all these consoles.  N64, Playstation 1, 2,3, XBox 1,2, Gamecube, Wii, etc. etc. etc.  It just seems really ludicrous.  Who knows, if PlayStation keeps their backwards compatibility for their games, I might buy the 4th generation and then only spend $30 or less on the games that are out for the PS2 and PS3.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #29 - Jul 15th, 2008 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Jul 15th, 2008 at 4:56pm:
...but I don't want to have to spend $800 just to play a $60 game and then have that $800 system be obsolete in 3 years.

Where the heck are you buying your game systems?

Quote:
I just can't see spending so much money for a game either.

Sometimes, I also have a hard time laying out $60 for a game, but its really not that bad from a historical perspective.  I paid $60 for most of my Super Nintendo games, and I used to make about $60 a month during the SNES era.

Of course, some games are much easier to justify.  I paid well above $60 for some of my favorite titles like Chrono Trigger and Half-Life 2, and I don't regret those choices at all.

Ultimately, it's a matter of financial prioritization and personal preference, and I can't fault anyone for their economic choices.

Quote:
I don't know why I'm really not into consoles, I guess after I bought my Playstation and saw a few years later, the PS2 come out for $300...I just didn't want to try and keep up.

The US got the PS1 in September of 1995, and the PS2 in October of 2000.  I think 5 years is a pretty decent run for a game console, don't you?

Quote:
Oh well, my computer is older than all the consoles out right now...and I can still play the new games today...just think about that.

Really?  I didn't know there were any PS3/360/Wii emulators available yet.  I'd love to take a look at some of them!

Quote:
Plus...who has all the room for all these consoles.  N64, Playstation 1, 2,3, XBox 1,2, Gamecube, Wii, etc. etc. etc.

I do!  At the moment, Meredith and I have an NES, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32x, PlayStation 2, Playstation 3, Wii, and XBox 360 all hooked up to our TV and available for use instantly.  We also have a VCR and DVD player hooked up.

I bought a Sega Saturn on eBay last week, so that will be added to the collection any day now.

-b0b
(...should post a picture.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 79
Send TopicPrint