Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Entertain Me! (Read 21235 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Entertain Me!
Feb 24th, 2009 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
I'm stuck in Chicago for training this week, and I'm bored out of my skull.  Entertain me!

-b0b
(...VMware.  Psssh!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Entertain Me!
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 1:53pm
Print Post  

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 10:48am
Print Post  
It's funny that you post that.  I'm current staying in downtown Chicago right in the loop on the same block as the Sears Tower.  This is the second biggest financial district in the US.  Every major bank in the country has an office here, since the Chicago Stock Exchange and Board of Trade are located here.

It's kinda depressing around here these days.

-b0b
(...then again, when wasn't it?)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
see anything interesting on  your trip so far?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
I didn't see anything really crazy.  It's always fun wandering through the downtown Loop and staring up at the towering buildings overhead.  I don't think that could ever get old.

My coworker and I ate at some really cool old restaurants.  We made an effort to find the neatest, out-of-the-way restaurants that have been hidden off the beaten trail for decades.  Those places have some really cool history behind them, not to mention some awesome food!

The coolest thing that happened all week was watching my coworker get assaulted by a Greenpeace freak.  They were doing some sort of protest/rally thing downtown after dark, and they were all too anxious to give us some literature on "green energy."  I thought he was going to throw down for a minute there...

-b0b
(...never a dull day in Chicago.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
Bob + Greenpeace = hilarious disaster all the time.

Maybe they shouldn't have used all that paper to print their green energy literature on!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

sunshine
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 12:03am
Print Post  
“To be or not to be”. Outside the Bible, there six words are the most famous in all the literature of the world. They were spoken by Hamlet when he was thinking aloud, and they are the most famous words in Shakespeare because Hamlet was speaking not only foe himself but for every thinking man and woman. To be or not to be-to live or not to live, to live richly and abundantly and eagerly, or to live dully and meanly and scarcely. A philosopher once wanted to know whether he was alive or not, which is a good question for everyone to put to himself occasionally. He answered it by saying:“I think, therefore I am.”(world of warcraft gold)

But the best definition of existence I ever saw was one written by another philosopher who said:“To be is to be in relations.”If this is true, then the more relations a living thing has, the more relations a living thing has, the more it is alive. To live abundantly means simply to increase the range and intensity of our relations. Unfortunately we are so constituted that we get to love our routine. But apart from our regular occupation how much are we alive? If you are interested only in your regular occupation, you are alive only to that extent. So far as other things are concerned-poetry and prose, music, pictures, sports, unselfish friendships, politics, international affairs-you are dead.buy wow gold

Contrariwise, it is true that every time you acquire a new interest-even more, a new accomplishment-you increase your power of life. No one who is deeply interested in a large variety of subjects can remain unhappy, the real pessimist is the person who has lost interest.

Bacon said that a man dies as often as he loss a friend. But we gain new life by contacts, new friends. What is supremely true of living objects is only less true of ideas, which are also alive. Where your thoughts are, there will your life be also. If your thoughts are confined only to your business, only to your physical welfare, only to the narrow circle of the town in which you live,cheap wow gold, then you live in a narrow circle of the town in which you live, then you live in a narrow circumscribed life. But if you are interested in what is going on in China, then you are living in China; if you are interested in the characters of a good novel, then you are living with those highly interesting people; if you listen intently to fine music, you are away from your immediate surroundings and living in a world of passion and imagination.

To be or not to be-to live intensely and richly, or merely to exist, that depends on ourselves. Let us widen and intensify our relations. While we live, let us live!world of warcraft gold

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:09am
Print Post  
bahahaha! epic spam. It reminds me of a more super-liminal approach to advertising. maybe a Shakespearean play with the lead role every 10 minutes yelling "Buy Wow Gold!!"

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 6:39am
Print Post  
If nothing else, those bastards certainly are getting prolific.  Perhaps they're hoping to beat their victims into submission?

-b0b
(...WOW GOLD!)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I know what I am getting b0b for Christmas...everyone loves wow gold!

AIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
If you think wow gold spam is bad on the forums, try playing the game sometime.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 3:53pm
Print Post  
This is a perfect example why “mom and pop” stores fail.  I wanted to take my girlfriend out for a good ‘ol time classic date at the local pizza stop.  We travel to the struggling downtown portion of Kalamazoo to support our community and visit what we thought would be a good local restaurant.  It should be noted we came into the place around 5:00pm on a Thursday.  We walk in on an empty and desolate place.  It’s ok to have no one in your place because you can’t help that, but there is no staff even remotely visible until we set off the tone alarm; there is no atmosphere.  There is no music of any kind playing and it feels like we have to whisper it is so quite.

So we are greeted by our server who is wearing a crooked, sports team ball cap and who seems to be a little testy at us for making him do any work.  He does not smile at us or greet us in anything but, “Can I get you anything to drink?”

We order our drinks and begin to look over the menu.  We have some inkling of what we want because we have a coupon we received for a free large pizza with two toppings.  However, we want to do more than just purchase drinks.  So we look at ordering breadsticks (Sicilian bread is what they call it).  We receive our drinks as we are still looking over the menu and I say, “Thank you” to our young waiter.  He does not respond at all and leaves us to go to the back.  My girlfriend and I exchange glances but maybe I didn’t speak loud enough.  After all, I still want to whisper in this ultra-quiet restaurant.  Our waiter comes back and we place our order for the bread and pizza with two toppings.  I wanted to make it a thick crust which was only $1 extra.  I also show him my coupon for the free pizza that I received from my great local insurance providers at The Arra Insurance Agency, who I assume wanted to support a local, independent, downtown Kalamazoo business.  He writes down our order and I say, “Thank you” again, but a little bit louder this time.  He turns and walks away.  My girlfriend and I start to laugh about this and begin to talk about the restaurant and not in a good way either.  That’s pretty bad considering we’ve been there all of five minutes.  Well our server comes back and informs us that he couldn’t make it a thick crust and still redeem a coupon.  I thought, well ok, maybe he has to ring it up on the computer and it won’t allow him to do that.  I thought this might have been a possibility so it was no harm at all.  I tell him that the regular crust would be fine and thank him again.  Again, he turns and walks away without a “you’re welcome”, “sure”, “no problem”, or any other response that would be appropriate!

Looking around the restaurant there are a few pictures on a wall, a lot of empty tables, and a high top with a laptop and paper work out on it.  A man, who I can only assume is “Fat” Joe is working on it from time to time and I can only assume he is the one making our food.  He must have switched places with our young waiter because he comes over to set our plates down and I thank him.  Now he turns around without saying anything and walks away!  No small talk or anything!

My girlfriend, who works in the restaurant business, at this point almost wants to leave but I convince her to stick it out for now.  “Big” Joe then brings out our food and has to have us move the plates he sent down.  The food looks good and I again say thanks.  To which he actually replies, “Yep,” and turns and walks away.  He doesn’t ask if he can get us anything else or even fill up our drinks which are almost depleted.  My girlfriend is begging me to leave at this point.  I tell her we should eat at least most of the breadsticks first to see how the food is.  The bread is really good and I go to dip it in the marinara sauce.  I take a bite and my tongue almost forms ice sickles.  Who serves marinara sauce at a freezing temperature?!  So, at this point, I’m done as well.

“Big” Joe, who really isn’t that big to be honest, comes back over and asks if he can get us anything else?  I ask him for a box and I try not to be too harsh about it and I say that I forgot that the pizza was to go.  He’s skeptical and repeats my statement in a question.  I respond in the affirmative and he begins to pick up our pizza.  My girlfriend tries to stop him and says that he can just bring a box.  At this point, we trust nobody in this place and are concerned for the continued quality of our food (e.g., no spit).  He refuses and says, “I have to take something away”.  We are laughing in shock at how atrocious our experience has been, even if the food was good!

We continue to eat the bread as he comes back with our pizza in a box and the check.  I look at the check and laugh.  Above I had stated that they couldn’t honor the coupon if I wanted to add $1 to it for thick crust.  Well the check is just a standard, written out check from an old diner era.  They didn’t even offer to bite the bullet and just make it that way.  I pay the bill and tip even more what I thought was deserved (which was nothing).  We exit as quickly as possible and “Big” Joe gives us a disheveled sighing “Thanks”, as he goes back to work on his computer in what I can only imagine is him trying to figure out how to save his business.

Big Joe’s Pizza and Sub resides downtown Kalamazoo at 210 S. Kalamazoo Mall.  Do not visit this establishment.  The service is lousy, the atmosphere is nonexistent, and the quality is laughable.  Big Joe is a prime example of why small businesses fail.  We would have had a pleasant date if we could have had some decent service and we didn’t feel like we were in a library of hushed whispers.  If you’re a small business wanting to make your stay in downtown Kalamazoo, I feel you don’t have to wait too long for a prime spot where Big Joe’s Pizza and Sub will reside for only a little bit longer.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Although I've never visited that establishment (and now, never will), I feel your pain.  Meredith and I eat out way more often than we should, and we've got more bad experiences than I can even count.  It seems like we run into poor service, bad attitudes, etc. on a nearly weekly basis.

It's not just restaurants, either.  I dropped a fair chunk of change on a stay at a bed & breakfast a few months back.  The owner/proprietor was cold and incredibly impolite.  When I called about getting a specific room, she practically yelled at me for attempting to reserve the room at such a late date.  I guess that should have been my first hint. 

When we finally arrived, she spent ten minutes (and I'm not exaggerating in the least) going over the "rules" with us.  We couldn't touch this, we shouldn't do that, et cetera, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.  When we finally got to our room, there must have been a warning sign every five inches that described something that was off limits, couldn't be touched, and so forth.  Did I really just spend a ton of money for a twelve-hour stay in a prison cell?  Is it really necessary to treat your customers like naughty children that need to be warned about every possible misadventure?

For what it's worth, we do our best to frequent the places that give us excellent customer service.  Bilbo's on Westnedge seems to have great service, and Pasta Pasta offers great service and an excellent menu if you're downtown.

I guess the thing that really blows my mind about bad customer service is that its self-defeating.  The owner of the restaurant you visited is a perfect example.  A waiter/waitress is even more obvious.  If your income is based almost entirely on gratuity, why the heck wouldn't you take care of your customers?  I tend to tip very, very well - unless my waiter or waitress sucks.

I don't understand why a restaurant manager keeps crappy employees on staff.  There are a ton of people that are looking for jobs, and surely some of them are willing to do a better job than the folks we've encountered.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2009 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Who else has a story to tell?  Step right up!

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #14 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 9:42am
Print Post  
b0b wrote on Nov 21st, 2009 at 4:52pm:
Although I've never visited that establishment (and now, never will), I feel your pain.  Meredith and I eat out way more often than we should, and we've got more bad experiences than I can even count.  It seems like we run into poor service, bad attitudes, etc. on a nearly weekly basis.

It's not just restaurants, either.  I dropped a fair chunk of change on a stay at a bed & breakfast a few months back.  The owner/proprietor was cold and incredibly impolite.  When I called about getting a specific room, she practically yelled at me for attempting to reserve the room at such a late date.  I guess that should have been my first hint.  

When we finally arrived, she spent ten minutes (and I'm not exaggerating in the least) going over the "rules" with us.  We couldn't touch this, we shouldn't do that, et cetera, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.  When we finally got to our room, there must have been a warning sign every five inches that described something that was off limits, couldn't be touched, and so forth.  Did I really just spend a ton of money for a twelve-hour stay in a prison cell?  Is it really necessary to treat your customers like naughty children that need to be warned about every possible misadventure?

For what it's worth, we do our best to frequent the places that give us excellent customer service.  Bilbo's on Westnedge seems to have great service, and Pasta Pasta offers great service and an excellent menu if you're downtown.

I guess the thing that really blows my mind about bad customer service is that its self-defeating.  The owner of the restaurant you visited is a perfect example.  A waiter/waitress is even more obvious.  If your income is based almost entirely on gratuity, why the heck wouldn't you take care of your customers?  I tend to tip very, very well - unless my waiter or waitress sucks.

I don't understand why a restaurant manager keeps crappy employees on staff.  There are a ton of people that are looking for jobs, and surely some of them are willing to do a better job than the folks we've encountered.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

Hey b0b.  I do feel for the lady at the BnB, as my Dad used to run one for years in Colorado Springs I know the shit she goes through on a daily basis, and how important those rules can be, even if she did go about it incorrectly.

Just to prove my point, here is a list of things "responsible adults" did while staying at my Dad's BnB

- Fell asleep with candles burning on top of napkins.

- Let their kids have a water balloon fight in the living room.

- Left their 8 year old daughter there for 9 hours while they went on a drive to Royal Gorge.

- Kicked a hole in the closet door and claimed it was "like that when they got there"

- Tried to start a bonfire in the back yard with card board boxes and paper, a mere two miles from a national park during fire season.

-  And my personal favorite, invited 15 people over for a "party".

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint