Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What Brings Out Your Inner Geek? (Read 6763 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

What Brings Out Your Inner Geek?
Mar 6th, 2009 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I've been shopping for a telephone.  Not a cell phone, just a regular ol' telephone to replace my mostly dead cordless phone from the late 90's.  Most people would just stop by the store of their choice, take a look at the available selection, and choose the phone that has the right options at the right price.

Not me.  I wanted the best darn phone system money could buy.  I seriously considered installing a business-grade PBX with handsets, but the price was out of my range.  I started studying up on small business phone systems and catching up on the latest technology.  900MHz, 2.4GHz, and 5.8GHz systems have gone the way of the dinosaur, and I wanted the latest and greatest 1.9GHz DECT 6.0 system on the market.  I researched the technology, the vendors, and their product lines.  I spent hours poring over various models, comparing features and reading reviews.  I finally settled on a Panasonic business base station with four handsets and every feature under the sun.  After I bought the system last night, I spent two hours reading every line of the install guide to ensure that every option was set to its optimal configuration.

What makes this so geeky?  I might spend a grand total of 15 minutes on our home phone in any given month.  All of this was for a love of the technology.

So what drives your geekery?  Which gadgets and gizmos have captured your attention lately?

-b0b
(...wonders what makes us all tick?)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: What Brings Out Your Inner Geek?
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
More Powah!

I just watched a vid where they raided together 24 hard drives to give a 2 gigabyte transfer rate. That was pretty cool. Took a half a second to copy a ripped DVD!

What brings out my inner geek is film effects. I love puzzling them out or if I don't know I have to find out how they did a shot, or what tech they were using to make it happen. 

Gadget-wise I do admire the increasingly higher-resolution small screens. I appreciate that stuff when I go camping and can whip out my unedited laserdisk edition of the Holy Trilogy *fist shake @ George Lucas* and watch that on PSP in decent rez.

Just don't have the disposable income these younger generation kids are spending on the ridiculously fancy phones that can order a pizza and do their taxes while connecting to the International Space Station.

You darn kids!  Get off my lawn!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2009 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
What brings out my inner geek has to park outside...for now.

...you would be surprised at what one small sledge hammer could do to one wall door!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 12:40am
Print Post  
Now here's something that really gets my inner geek all hot and bothered.  I'm thinking about picking this up for the Bobulator VIII later this year, since the existing Bobulator case is - believe it or not - too small (that's what she said!).

It has space for four power supplies and it ships with eleven 120mm fans and four 90mm fans.  The motherboard can be mounted vertically or horizontally, and up to ten 5¼" drives can be mounted in the front bays.  The system also has a plethora of 3½" internal bays, and additional modules can be added to support up to 33 hard drives internally.

Best of all, the case is on wheels, so that should make transporting it a little easier!

-b0b
(...but it doesn't have eight layers of baked on automotive paint.)

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
Fork lift needed to move it sold separately.

...oh, and some joke about compensating goes here.

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Apr 3rd, 2009 at 2:08pm:
...oh, and some joke about compensating goes here.

That's brilliant!  I award 100 Internets to you, good sir!

-b0b
(...snark.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint