Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Danny's Popular Science troubles (Read 20070 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Danny's Popular Science troubles
Apr 26th, 2010 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
So I was at Meijer when I happened upon the latest issue of Popular Science. Lo and behold, there was my good friend Danny's car on the front cover. Oops! nope it was not his, it was another artist who had taken his design and sold it to Popular Science.

Danny's car has had attention on the web at various times since 2007, when he created it. If you google image search Daniel Schumpert the first few links all go to different auto blogs linking to his pictures.

Attached is his comparison image. He was pretty furious at seeing the pictures. Talk about a used feeling: working on something you have pride in, only to have it stolen and credited to another person. yeesh.

Danny works for Jalopnik.com and they're going to probably run a piece on this. He is also going to look into any legal action that can be taken, the least of which proper credit being posted.

I will post updates here.

blunt_rip_off.jpg (Attachment deleted)

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Danny's Popular Science troubles
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Wow, it doesn't get much more blatant than that.  I bet Danny is steaming over that.  I hope he gets the resolution he's looking for!

-b0b
(...thinks it might involve a ball peen hammer, a drill, and an aluminum baseball bat.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2010 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
On a side note, how the heck are you supposed to drive that car with a huge metal strip down the center of the windshield?

-b0b
(.../random.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2010 at 7:36am
Print Post  
That's a car?!

I thought it was the new sexbox!!!

X
(never gets ANYTHING good for Christmas!)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2010 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
So to expand on this:

In the August issue, Popular Science has issued a correction on the matter in the front of the magazine...

and also given us some work:

danny is still learning modeling so I ended up making the boat, and also did the spray, while he rendered and shaded it up.

Unfortunately for me my name is super microscopic cause it was a late addition after their layout was final.

and here's the untouched render:

anyway, they liked the image so much that we are now making something for Pop Sci every month, so hurray! The next one is already done and looks cool, but I can't show it yet.

Stay tuned!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 1:49am
Print Post  
If you want to see the next photo...send me $3.14 and I'll send you the photo!

Maw ha ha!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Awesome work, Briney, and congrats on getting into PopSci!

X wrote on Jul 14th, 2010 at 1:49am:
If you want to see the next photo...send me $3.14 and I'll send you the photo!

Can I "round" that up to $3.14159265?

-b0b
(...get it?!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2010 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Aww...I knew you guys wouldn't let me down on getting my joke number!

*sniff* I love you guys!     Grin

X

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Wait, so the magazine gave credit to Danny as a correction?

As for the original article, it makes you wonder how much of your work is copied that you don't know about. Its a shame.

Popular Science has many rendered images throughout. They should consider renaming the mag to Popular Art.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Or how about wishful thinking.  I've seen some of the ooooooolllllddddd back issues of Pop Sci. (and even Pop Mechanics...they are no related btw...before Pop. Mech. started down the stupid road of playing both Skeptic magazine and Scientific America with its Hersh publication)...and while I understand the importance of scientific dreaming...that all it seems to turn out.  Skies filled with personal blimps?  Where?  There future cars that while looking Blade Runner cool...there hasn't been a drastic improvement in the automobile for 75 years.  It's just boring and sad to see this stuff rendered...but hardly ever come to fruition.

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 10:04pm
Print Post  
Yea sure we won't see that stuff for a while or maybe at all, but where's the harm in dreaming? I'm pretty certain the automobile, computer, lightbulb, and flight, would all have been laughed at before their time. In fact Da vinci prolly was thought of as a bit off with his whirly-bird machine. But hey... helicopter!  

The human spirit (aside from committing random destruction) excels at imagination and striving for a better tomorrow. Sure we screw up at almost every opportunity but personally I love seeing all the dreams people come up with.

I love dreaming. I love making the dreams come alive visually. I don't care if they don't get made. Half the time when new tech comes out in the future , they make a reference to its origin in science fiction. But as long as someone is researching right now on how to get it done, that is science and it belongs in that magazine.  Sure most of the covers/articles end up being busts, but I bet quite a few turned out to be legit. And I also bet but can't prove alot of those illustrations/articles inspired current or future scientists to dream their own dreams and make cool things... like cell phones and... facebook. *shakes head* Just kidding. But you see my point.

Bring on the inspiration!

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #11 - Jul 19th, 2010 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Jul 19th, 2010 at 8:49pm:
there hasn't been a drastic improvement in the automobile for 75 years.

Hop into your 1935 Ford Cabriolet and drive to Plymouth and say that to Spanky's face!

PopSci has always fantasized about the future.  Whether it's the "Car of the Future" or the "Plane of the Future" or the "City of the Future", PopSci's predictions have always been a bit dreamy.  But hey, what visionary doesn't look at the future through rose colored glasses?

If you could tell somebody from 1 A.D. about the technologies we take for granted today, think about how they would imagine modern life.  We can travel across the continent in a matter of hours.  We can speak with people on the other side of the planet in real time.  We can see inside your body and detect maladies without even touching your skin.  They would undoubtedly imagine a society in which we've eliminated hunger, crime, pollution, etc.

Yet, here we are, 2,000 years down the road and we still deal with all of these social ills despite our unbelievable technological progress.  When we look into the future, we too like to imagine a world where these issues will become obsolete, but it simply isn't going to happen.  Human nature persists despite our best efforts and intentions.

-b0b
(...steps off the soap box.)

IP Logged

Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2010 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Quote:
They would undoubtedly imagine a society in which we've eliminated hunger, crime, pollution, etc.

Well, if pollution is a side effect of these technologies, they probably wouldn't think of that!  

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #13 - Aug 16th, 2010 at 8:46pm
Print Post  

Alright, so it's not exactly PopSci, but Meredith recently sent me a link to the following page:

http://www.cosmates.jp/shop/product_info/cPath/1_59_67/products_id/15880/

She happened across the image while browsing the Interwebs and recognized it as an image she drew a decade ago while in High School.  Here's the original with her pen name intact:

She found it kind of funny, but if I found someone plastering my handiwork on a retail site without my permission I'd be hoppin' mad.

-b0b
(...thieves suck.)

IP Logged

Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #14 - Aug 22nd, 2010 at 12:04am
Print Post  
I don't even think I knew what a pen name was when I was in high school...   shoot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint