Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic PC Build Thread (Read 14554 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

PC Build Thread
May 10th, 2010 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
I had to do some surgery on the Bobulator last week to replace my CPU heatsink/fan (they don't make dual ball bearing fans like they used to!), and I started thinking about my next upgrade.  My current system is still holding steady, but it's almost three years old and its starting to get a little long in the tooth.  I'm thinking about treating myself to a birthday upgrade this winter, so I thought I'd ask you guys what you're running now, and what upgrade plans (if any) you might have?

I'm looking awfully hard at the Intel i7 platform, but AMD is really starting to turn up the heat on Intel again.  nVidia and ATI are also running neck-and-neck, but both of their leading products look extremely hot and power hungry.

What do you guys think?

-b0b
(...wants pictures, too!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: PC Build Thread
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2010 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
This is a couple months old, but at least I managed to post these pics before Briney got around to finishing BFE.  Mere's big Christmas present was a new PC, but with a caveat - she had to build it herself.  I thought I'd share a couple of pictures, and I hope you guys consider doing the same thing for your spouses/girlfriends/BFFs!

Initial case assembly.  Mere's PC is housed inside an Antec Nine Hundred case and is powered by an Antec 550w power supply.

Attaching the 750GB Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive.

A shot of the partially installed system, including an Intel E9600 dual-core processor with a ridiculously oversized Zalman heatsink/fan.  The GPU is an PNY XLR8 running the nVidia 9800GT 1GB.  Not yet installed is 4GB of Corsair Dominator DDR2.

Here's Meredith showing off her mostly-finished PC.  A little cable management and an operating system (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit), and she's ready to go!

It's a fairly decent system, and I'm really surprised at just how incredibly smoothly it runs.  I played a couple hours of Portal (you know... for testing!) on her 24" monitor (Asus VH242H) on 1920x1080 with all of the eye candy cranked, and it performed flawlessly.

It was a lot of fun building Mere's PC with her, and I think it made the gift even more interesting.  Besides, not every girl can brag that she built her own PC! 

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2010 at 9:39pm
Print Post  
What?!  How dare you have fun with your wife!  What are all these stereotypes in my head for if I'm not going to use them?!

Interestingly enough, I have just started making plans for my new machine.  However, mine is 5 years old and ol' Cezar is showing his age.  I have a few films lined up for this summer (anyone interested in going back out to Purgatory for a documentary?!).

I'm really interested in these solid state drives and mo-bo's with dual video card slots.  I'm thinking about switching to Intel with the i7 as well and I'm still split on ATI Vs. NVidia.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2010 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Haha nice bob...

Susie did not like your idea!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2010 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
If it was up to Susie, she'd throw us women back in the kitchen while the men folk changed our oil, built our computers, and beat us with switches!...and she'd make women everywhere hate horrible HORRIBLE movies like Ratatoile and Superman Returns (aka Superman Rapes Lois...and the Franchise!)!

X
(uhh I mean "they women"!......!!!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2010 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
X wrote on May 11th, 2010 at 12:49pm:
...and beat us with switches!

That's why you should rackmount your switches.  Your woman would have to be pretty buff (or very patient) to beat you with a rackmounted switch.

-b0b
(...HURRRR.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2010 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
As I mentioned earlier, I had to replace my CPU heatsink/fan combo last Thursday because the fan in the existing unit died.  It's the first time I've ever had a dual-ball bearing fan die.  The two 120mm Panaflo Hi fans on the side of my case are stilling running strong after ten years!

Anyway, I had to pull the motherboard to install a new base plate for the massive honkin' heatsink I installed as a replacement.  Of course, to remove the motherboard, I had to remove practically everything else in the case.  I though I'd throw up this quick picture of how incredibly dusty the Bobulator was... after only seven months!

I installed new hard drives last October when I installed Windows 7, and I had the entire PC looking squeaky clean by the time I was done.  It's amazing how much dust can build up in only half a year!

-b0b
(...cleaned it out again, of course.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2010 at 10:14pm
Print Post  
Did it smell like pretzels

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2010 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Alright gents, I don't know if you'd be willing to help but I'm looking to purchase a video camcorder along with a new computer build.  If you'd like, I would appreciate any advice you have.

I'm looking at two main cameras:

1)Sony HDR-XR500V
2)Canon VIXIA HF S100

I am currently leaning to the Canon more.  I've also looked at the following:

- Canon VIXIA HF20 - has internal memory
- Canon VIXIA HF200 - like HF20 but no internal memory
- Canon VIXIA HG21

I definately want one that's in HD.  I'm also looking for one that performs well in low-light since I want to do some outdoor shots, but I also want a professional look to my video.

Are there cameras you guys use that fit this or blow you out of the water?

I'm looking at shooting some urban exploring/hacking vids and I really would love to get back out to Purgatory for a documentary film (anyone up for the trip?).

Another thing that makes me think Canon is their support with other add-ons (lenses, mics, lights, etc.).

I appreciate your help and let me know what you think!

X

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint