Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Open House (Read 25359 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Open House
Reply #15 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 7:23am
Print Post  
It took a little bit to find it but how's 4 years for a thread resurrection?

In about a month, Laura and I will be closing on a house, Lord willing.  That's the reason I was asking about central storage.  I have included the addy below and will keep everyone update for the completion of it all (probably around late April).

I was wondering if there were improvement books you guys used that you'd recommend.  The house we are going for isn't needing in really any updates, but I'd love to start some ideas for projections.

X

Untitled-2.jpg (Attachment deleted)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #16 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Congratulations!  The best advice I can give you is to hold on to every dollar you can between now and your closing.  There are a million little fees and expenses that will pop up.  Radon testing, surveying, appliance purchase/repair, etc.  Even buying things like floor mats and other minor household items will add up quickly.  I created a handy spreadsheet that calculated things like PMI, non-residency taxes (your first year will likely be more expensive than normal), and various inspection fees, but I was still blindsided by the insane number of "little things" that quickly racked up.

I don't have any specific home improvement books that I've used, but I've turned to the Internet time and time again for plumbing, electrical, carpentry, and million other DIY tasks.  So far I've been successful in everything I've set out to do myself.  Most tasks are quite a bit easier than you'd imagine, and if your house is anywhere near as old as mine you'll quickly become quite adept at basic DIY handiwork.

-b0b
(...Vila.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #17 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Nice to hear Patsy!  Congratulations to you and the misses.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #18 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 12:13am
Print Post  
That's, Wes.

And thanks, Bob, for the info.  I think we've got everything all lined up for the fees and little stuff.  The house was built in 2000 and the only big thing we'll need is a washer/dryer and that's more of a want than a need and I think we'll get the cash for it at the closing.

Can't wait to have you all over if you can make it soon.  The basement has enough room for a LAN and it's got sound proofing on the walls which makes it a great place for an awesome entertainment area.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint