Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Seriously, Get Off My Lawn (Read 191526 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Seriously, Get Off My Lawn
Apr 11th, 2011 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
New toy!  I'll post more (and better!) pics tomorrow when I'm not dead tired.

I needed a shotgun for Three Gun competitions (combined pistol/rifle/shotgun courses), so I picked up this bad boy today.  It's a Remington 870 Tactical with a breaching barrel and a pistol grip stock.  I'll be adding a magazine extension, sling, and some other goodies for Three Gun.

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Seriously, Get Off My Lawn
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 7:49am
Print Post  
That's an awesome purchase.  Incidently, I am going today to pick up my Rem. 870!  The only prob. I have with it is not all of it is black.  But it seems like the parts that aren't would be easy enough to replace.

Has anyone heard anything about AR 15 Carbon?  Someone is selling it for $650 and I was seriously considering buying it from them (pic attached).

Also, other than shooting it, what would be some things to look at to make sure it isn't too good to be true?

X

0412012017.jpg (Attachment deleted)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
My new one.

Remington_870.JPG (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
Dude, sweet 870, and crazy timing!  Were you just looking for a shotgun, or are you planning on hunting or something?  I'm jealous of the vented rib on the barrel!  I wanted to get one, but couldn't get that and the stock I wanted together, so I'll have to replace my barrel eventually. 

If you want to replace the wood furniture with black polymer, there are several vendors.  Knoxx Tactical is very well regarded for their collapsible stocks.  In addition to the obvious benefits of a telescoping stock, the Knoxx models also reduce the recoil considerably.  That could be very beneficial if you plan on putting a lot of rounds down range.

As for the Carbon 15, they're very decent Bushmaster ARs that really run the gamut in terms of configuration and options.  Carbon 15s are available in pistol and rifle configurations in a variety of pistol and rifle calibers.  You can see the current lineup here:

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_carbon15_index.asp

Once you've found your model, take a look at GunBroker.com.  That site will give you a decent idea about the reasonability of the asking price for a used gun.  As long as the gun is in decent operating condition and it has the features you want (e.g. caliber, barrel length, receiver type), I'd say the price you quoted sounds incredibly reasonable.

-b0b
(...yay AR15!)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
I was looking for a shotgun for home defense.  Got it used at Gander Mt. for a decent price and the people there helping were awesome.  If you're jealous of my vented rib then I'm jealous of your pistol grip stock.  I might look into those places so thanks.

Thanks for the info on the AR-15.  Unfortunately, the guy lives in Saginaw and that's a big trip for a model that doesn't exactly meet what I want.  But I can wait.  I'm 1/4 of the way through my "need" collection before I start on my "wants" which is nice.

Besides the AR-15 M4 model, I want the Remington 700 for my long range and Ruger CRR for my .22.  If you see anyone selling them for a good price, let me know.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
I'm also looking for a Remington 700 for a long-range gun, although I might hold out and save up for my super-duper-ultra dream gun...

If God needed a rifle, he'd carry a Dragunov.

-b0b
(...drools.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #6 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Yesterday's three gun course was really fun, and I think I'm addicted already.  You guys should really consider giving it a go.  We could have our own Geek Crew squad.  Wink

Since it was raining during the course, I made sure to strip down, clean, and oil my guns as soon as I got home.  Here's some random crappy pics, since this thread needs more gun pr0n.

-b0b
(...can't wait to shoot more stuff!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Nice pics bob, and that three gun course sounds pretty interesting. I have some gun pr0n to add to this thread... I'll take some pics soon.

Also, how much is that Dragunov?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 8:56am
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Apr 18th, 2011 at 1:45am:
I have some gun pr0n to add to this thread... I'll take some pics soon.

You'd better not hold out on us!  I've set a recurring calendar reminder so that I can bug you until you show us the goods!

Quote:
Also, how much is that Dragunov?

A real Dragunov costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,000 to $3,500 dollars.  Pristine samples with matching numbers, match-grade wood, and authentic scopes can be even pricier.  You can buy knockoff look-a-likes called PSLs for about $1,000, but a PSL is just an AK-47 that's been kitted out to look like a Dragunov.

-b0b
(...would sell FatMan's kidney for a Dragunov.)

BrineyPostPics.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Bob,

I'm looking for some good target ammo for my Rem. 870.  CheaperThanDirt has a lot and I'm trying to find some good bulk stock.  Any suggestions?

Should I stick with shooting Slug/Buck or is another type better for target ammo?

Thanks,

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
It depends on the type of target you're shooting.  If you're shooting at paper targets, I'd recommend going with lighter shot shells.  Anything from #6 to #9 will work, but I generally prefer #7.5 or #8.

If you're shooting at steel targets (knock-down silhouettes, pepper poppers, etc), you might want something a little heavier to ensure you fully neutralize the target.  Be really careful with slugs, though.  Slugs absolutely must not be used on most metal targets due to the high fragmentation rate.

With a shotgun, accuracy is mostly dependent on the choke you're using and the length of the barrel.  I'm currently using a compensated "intermediate choke" that forces shot pellets into a moderately tight cone.  This provides a 50/50 trade-off between accuracy (all pellets in a small area) and spread (all pellets spread out).

So, now that I've rambled, I'd recommend going with #7 or #8 shot.  Any major brand will do just fine, but I'd stay away from Fiocchi.  I had serious problems cycling the pump on both my 870 and Mike's 870 this weekend using Fiocchi ammunition, which is a huge deal during a timed competition.

-b0b
(.../ramble.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2011 at 11:29pm
Print Post  
I just picked up some target ammo for my 870.  I'll run it through the paces this weekend and let you know how it goes.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Yeah, that ammo I posted above?  Don't buy it.  Federal seems to be having some quality control issues.

I took a couple boxes out this weekend to run them through the 870, and the bottom row of shells from both boxes were excessively rusty.

I sent an e-mail to Federal's customer support last night, no word back yet.

-b0b
(...grrr!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2011 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
I added a 2-round extension to my 870 last night.  It seems to cycle well, but I need to get back to the range to throw a couple boxes of shells through it.  Adding the extension is pretty easy and only requires a bit of Dremel work.

Here's a shot of the old magazine.  The original mag cap will be removed and replaced by the one-piece extension.

The original mag cap, spring, and plastic spring retainer are removed.  The spring retainer is held on by two metal nubs that are punched into the magazine.  The nubs must be removed with a half-round file or a Dremel.  Here's a picture of the partially removed nubs.

After the nubs are removed, the magazine is thoroughly cleaned with a regular shotgun cleaning kit.  I used a gun bluing pen ($5.00 at any gun store) to cover the bare metal, then thoroughly oiled the magazine.

After the extension was screwed on, I used a magazine/light clamp to hold the extension in place.  The extension was really solid and this ended up being totally unnecessary, but I'd already bought the clamp and decided to use it anyway.

-b0b
(...now has 7+1 rounds instead of 5+1.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #14 - May 1st, 2011 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Since Briney hasn't posted his pictures yet, here's more random gun pr0n.  Magpul PMags (polymer AR-15 magazines) were on sale last week, so I picked up three of them.  I also picked up a pack of Ranger Plates, which replace the flat PMag bottom with a rubber doohickey that is used as a finger hook for fast mag changes.  It also reduces the impact on the magazine if it is dropped on the ground when empty, which is common procedure for competitive shooting.

I picked up a double magazine holster to keep my reloads on my belt, which is shown in these pictures holding the magazines together.

-b0b
(...needs a few more.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Send TopicPrint