Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) Game of Thrones (Read 26234 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Game of Thrones
Reply #15 - Dec 29th, 2011 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
The_Fat_Man wrote on Dec 29th, 2011 at 5:03pm:
Hell, I would go so far as to say that  Game of Thrones goes FAR more into detail about the more disgusting aspects of humanity.

Unless Martin goes completely off rails in the fifth book, I couldn't disagree more strenuously.  Bad things happen in Song of Fire and Ice, but Martin doesn't go into anywhere near the level of detail and depravity that Goodkind routinely visits.  Seriously, those two aren't even on the same playing field.  Martin's writing is certainly dark, but I've never once felt uncomfortable reading what he's written.  Goodkind manages to pull that off every few chapters.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Goodkind.  I recommended him for a reason.  As I stated previously, his world is incredibly detailed and believable, and his characters really grow and mature as the series progresses.  That said, I can't recommend him without at least a cursory warning about some of the material contained within.

-b0b
(...shrugs.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #16 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 1:06am
Print Post  
I don't know....reading about a guy being beat and "teased" to the limits of his tolerance didn't creep me out nearly as much as reading about brothers fucking their sisters, and 10 year old children suckling on their mothers breasts in a throne room.

Just saying lol

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #17 - Dec 30th, 2011 at 2:34am
Print Post  
Thank you guys all so much.

I knew I'd get a plethora of recommendations and wow!  It's been a while since I've read Hobbit and Narnia.  Maybe I'll go back through those first and then jump in to the heavy stuff.

I wonder if the Kindle has a random selector that would just put me on a series.

Also, Bob, when I saw the trailer for The Hunger Games...Battle Royale was the first thing I thought of for sure!

X
(knew his geek brethren wouldn't let him down!)

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #18 - Mar 6th, 2012 at 11:30am
Print Post  
So Briney.

I finally, after years of being told to do so, started reading The Malazan: Book of the Fallen last week.

I kept putting it off, even though I've read almost every fantasy novel ever....mostly because another huge series didn't seem appealing.

I must say, I'm blown away by the sheer awesomeness of this dudes writing.  I'm almost done with the first book....and while I'm still slightly confused as to whats going on....the characters are so unbelievable REAL!  Absolutely stunning writing.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #19 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Yes! I am excited! I just started rereading them too, because I've just finished the 3 companion books the author's friend wrote. Steven Erikson has always wondered if he could have done the first book differently by easing people into the story but in the end, he is ok with brutally throwing the reader into the world. Once you catch on to all the elder races, gods/ascendants, and how the warrens work, everything is groovy. The characters in the books are so rich, I am glad you are liking them. Book 2 is where the series really got amazing for me, and its only better from there.

woot!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #20 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
I'm still not sure what the deal is with the warrens, but I'm told book 3 clears them up a lot.

I finished book two and am a few hundred pages into book two now.  I'm liking the whole desert groove to this book with the Seven Cities....liking it even more than the first book!

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint