Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 20 Replies) Home Improvement (Read 61774 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Re: Home Improvement
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2012 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Very cool, Briney!  I'd love to know more about the drainage pipe you installed.  How long is it?  Did you drill the holes yourself, or did you find a pre-drilled PVC pipe somewhere?  Is the bottom open, or did you place some sort of drilled cap on it?

That's a ton of work!  If there is one thing I absolutely hate doing, it's outdoors/landscaping type work.  That looks amazing!

-b0b
(...ideas!)

IP Logged

pezmasterelite
GeekCrew n00b

The Geek Crew

Reply #16 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Yeah briney that is some serious landscaping there, trying to make us feel bad...

X, I have wired 2 car system installs, that car is gone now though, I have a VW jetta and a Jeep Cherokee.  Sadly I have had to replace brakes and front suspensions on the Jeep before moving down, now I have a list of stuff for both cars.

Bob, that garage looks awesome, I wish I had something like that for the work I do from time to time.  Knob and tube sucks to replace inside walls, I hate using fish sticks and fish tape and various other things to push, pull, and twist your way though some 100 year old walls with terrible design... bah.

I will take some shots of my next car jobs and put them here.

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #17 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
I don't really have any home improvement stuff...but I do have a little car stuff.

Most things I do I don't take pictures of.  When I did a little work on my moms mustang she took some pictures though.

The back story is my parents were driving around and started to smell something sweet and the windshield fogged up a little.  In a foxbody that means it is time to replace the heater core!

First you tear your way through the dash...

That's the bugger!

Extra parts...

And back together the first time.

Then I replaced the foam and leather for the seats.

Strangely I don't have any pictures of how the car sits today so use your imagination.

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #18 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 10:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Strangely I don't have any pictures of how the car sits today so use your imagination.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #19 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 11:07pm
Print Post  
spanky wrote on Jun 18th, 2012 at 8:27pm:

The front fell off!

Those seats look amazing.  Seriously, night and day difference!  Did you have to stitch them in place?

-b0b
(...wow!)

IP Logged

pezmasterelite
GeekCrew n00b

The Geek Crew

Reply #20 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Spanky I will have to inquire about some of your car knowledge if I get in a jam, I forget you know quite a lot about cars.

That looks nice, I imagine the dashboard was quite the pain.

pez

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #21 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Those seats look amazing.  Seriously, night and day difference!  Did you have to stitch them in place?

Nope, the leather came from a company called TMI products.  They make a lot of reproduction interiors.  It was pretty expensive but really good stuff.  The leather has cloth loops and attachment points on the underside that connect to the metal skeleton of the seat.

Quote:
Spanky I will have to inquire about some of your car knowledge if I get in a jam, I forget you know quite a lot about cars.

That looks nice, I imagine the dashboard was quite the pain.

Well, I really know about the cars I have had.  I might be able to fake it with a few other models but if you need info about a ranger, a fox body, or an e90 I could probably help.

Yeah, the dash was an experience.  More than one time I said "how the hell am I supposed to reach that screw?!"

AIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #22 - Jun 19th, 2012 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Thats pretty nuts man! I can't imagine that every screw was the same... how the balls did you remember all that for reassembly?

Quote:
The front fell off!

bob, was that a Clarke and Dawe reference?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #23 - Jun 20th, 2012 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Heck yeah!

IP Logged

Cait
GeekCrew Hax0r

Winter is Coming. Giggity.

Reply #24 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
I went to go comment on this thread about home improvements and hacks I've done....but I just am so distracted by Spanky's one photo (the one where the front fell off):

Is that a Little Mermaid sleeping bag hanging over its side?

Cait

“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”
― Tina Fey, Bossypants
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #25 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Cait wrote on Jun 28th, 2012 at 8:50pm:
Is that a Little Mermaid sleeping bag hanging over its side?

That's how Spanky rolls.

-b0b
(...you should see his Justin Bieber comforter.)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #26 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Here's my sink/disposal installation that I just wrapped up last night. I don't have before pictures but there was a double bowl white sink and no disposal. When we bought the home there was a microwave over the range but my wife is a bit of a tin foil hat kind of person and decided that we should take it out straight away. So I replaced it with a stainless steel range hood. The microwave was on a run of it's own so now that all those amperes were free'd up, I spliced into that run and wired in the switch to the outlet under the sink. I thought the location of my switch was pretty nifty. The wife wanted the switch under the sink for some reason. I was thinking a push button switch in the sink hole next to the fosset since the fosset is the spray type. But ya know, she's kind of in charge.

Here's the album
http://imgur.com/a/xaJL2

BTW, working under the sink sucks!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #27 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 9:23am
Print Post  
I love the hidden switch, very cool!  You should screw a holster into the sidewall and throw in some serious firepower.  ;p

I agree about working under the sink.  I replaced our kitchen faucet about a year ago and had to buy a special wrench that would fit into the tiny space between the rear of the sink and the back wall.

Next time I replace a faucet, I'm replacing the whole frickin' sink along with it!

-b0b
(...nice work!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #28 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 12:32am
Print Post  
So I am back with some more stonework to post. I seem to be addicted to it.

The front of our house was pretty boring when we got it. Any areas that had once had retaining walls were removed by the previous owner.

We have this area to the left of the house that once was a nice garden. We weeded it a few times and made pathetic attempts at growing things. But the yard was pretty much taking over.

So it was time to reign that lawn in!

I decided to match the flowing lines of the previous retaining walls at other areas around the house. After looking at it for a few weeks, I decided to just get started. Once that first shovel breaks ground, you can't stop!

Like before, I dug deep into the ground, laid in some gravel/paver base, then some leveling sand and placed the stonework on top.

The sidewalk I was laying stone next to has a straight edge, so I didn't start curving until I hit the end of the concrete. Because of the gentle curve, the stonework sticks out into the yard a bit, but that is ok.

Worked my way over to the other side.

The digging is the worst part. Luckily I have a heavy pickaxe which rips through the yard very quickly. At this point I was also finding treasures from the previous owners. Popcans, wrappers, charcoal, heavy plastic landscape liner, tin pieces (no idea), and electrical wire were found all over the place.

Here is an example of the steps I used to lay in the stone. This is the leveled out sand sitting on top of gravel (use a 4+ foot level for more accuracy/speed) . I gave myself some leeway so I could adjust the curve of the stone where I wanted it. I then backfilled behind the stone with more gravel for drainage and soil expansion, and then added the second layer of stone.

The far side is finally dug out! That was a real pain, and this whole area is lower than the rest.

Robby the Robin was hanging out with me the whole day. He got as close as 2 feet (when I didn't have the camera of course) stealing the worms/critters as I dug up the ground.

I had to add a lot of gravel here to make sure everything was level. For good measure I tamped everything down.

Done!

I also decided to add some stone along our walkway.

And since I already had dug out along the sidewalk for the stone... I decided to install low voltage landscape lighting.
Each light is about 11w, and I have a 200w transformer. I have 14 guage wire, because I plan on adding a few lights down the road. These guys are reaaaallly easy to install and I highly recommend it. The digging is the hardest part. You just run the cable, and the lights basically have an attachment that pierces the cable in an enclosure. Boom, done.

And very nice results.

I bought 4 low power floodlights to hit our pillars for funsies. Susie didn't want full fill lights on the house, so I kept it subtle. Looks very cool from the street.

That's it for now, I suppose. Next on my list this summer is burying the overhead power line and cable line, and finally getting that deck built. Let me know if you have any questions!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #29 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Damn, Briney, that looks amazing!  Outside of basic maintenance, we haven't done anything too aesthetically thrilling to the house this year.

I've been going crazy working on the Jeeperator over the past few weeks, though.  It's all basic maintenance for the most part, but even basic maintenance can be pretty daunting on a car with 166,000 miles on the odometer.  I've been upgrading components wherever possible in the hopes of eeking out a few more miles before I need to buy Jeep 3.0.

Last night I installed a new rear sway bar.  This component is responsible for reducing body roll when taking a corner.  The factory sway bar is a laughably small 9/16" bar that weighs about 8lbs.  The replacement is 1" in diameter and weighs about 23lbs.  I also installed greasable polyurethane bushings to help keep the new sway bar nice and quiet.  I can't wait to give this thing a try!

Since the sway bar is right in front of the rear differential cover, I decided to flush the fluid in the rear differential while I had the sway bar removed.  I bought a new heavy duty diff cover to replace the badly rusted factory cover.  The old gear oil was about 30oz low, which is pretty scary.  Fortunately, the inside of the differential housing looked great with no chipped teeth or metal shavings. 

Here is a shot of the old and new diff covers side-by-side.  The new diff cover must weigh about 18lbs.  You could beat somebody to death with this thing without even breaking a sweat!

Last week I installed a new steering stabilizer.  The stabilizer is a gas shock that absorbs any jolts that would jostle the steering wheel when hitting a bump.  It also helps firm up your steering wheel.  The old steering stabilizer was the original model that shipped from the factory, so it was long overdue for replacement.  It's amazing how much better the steering wheel feels with the new stabilizer!

I also replaced the idle air controller (IAC) and the throttle position sensor (TPS) to correct a bad idle variability.  The Jeep would rev all over the place when idling from 500 RPM to 2,200 RPM.  This is really annoying, particularly when sitting in a fast food drive through lane because people would think I was revving my engine intentionally.  I forgot to take a pic of the TPS, but here is a pic of the new and old IACs side-by-side.

I also bought five new tires (including spare) and installed new high-performance brake pads and rotors, but I paid a shop to install those so it doesn't really count.

-b0b
(...piiiiiimpmobile.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint