Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Forum Stuff (Read 236396 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Forum Stuff
Reply #135 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Thanks man, lol yea that's progress. Can't wait to fix this awful color scheme.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #136 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
Oops.  I accidentally left Process Explorer running full-bore on the web server last night while I was tracking down the CSS issue.  Apparently, the server died somewhere around 40 million entries.

-b0b
(...derp.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #137 - Jul 17th, 2011 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
Following the judicious use of Process Monitor, I finally tracked down the offending Perl path that was killing the CSS template doohickey.  We should now (finally!) be able to update the crappy color scheme.

-b0b
(...needs to find a new logo, too.)

Edit:  I put the old logo back.  It'll do for now!  Also, all of the style sheets from the old forum can be viewed here for reference.  TheGeekCrew.css is the default sheet from the old forum.

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #138 - Jul 18th, 2011 at 1:33am
Print Post  
thanks bob, ill give it a go

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #139 - Dec 14th, 2011 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
Whoops, sorry about the downtime today.  The web server automatically rebooted after some updates were applied earlier today (I need to reschedule that...) and IIS wouldn't process any anonymous logons because the DC certificate wasn't renewing properly.  I was swamped at work so I didn't have a chance to troubleshoot it until this evening.

-b0b
(...oh, and Briney, what about that CSS template?  ;p)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #140 - Jan 3rd, 2012 at 2:32pm
Print Post  
After eight years of service, Comcast decided to start charging me for my commercial modem.  I figured it was only fair to have them come out and replace the flaky model they gave me years ago with a DOCSIS 3.0-compliant model.  Sadly, I forgot to update my NAT translation on the router, so all incoming traffic to the forum was getting blackholed.

Stewie was kind enough to alert me to the error this afternoon.  Sorry about that, guys!

-b0b
(...whoops!)

IP Logged

Stick
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Stick is back

Reply #141 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 2:51pm
Print Post  

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #142 - Jan 4th, 2012 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Stick wrote on Jan 4th, 2012 at 2:51pm:

It is peripherally related.  Comcast "announced" the new fee in the November bill, effective the following month.  My bill is automatically debited so I don't even see a paper copy anymore.

Meh, I'll just pick up a Motorola SB6121 in a couple weeks and Comcast can take their crappy modem.

-b0b
(...wishes he had a choice in providers.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #143 - Jan 29th, 2012 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Sorry about any forum sluggishness/downtime lately.  My ISP has been screwing the pooch the last few weeks with ridiculously high packet loss and latency.  After calling them five different times, they finally found and corrected the problem.  Some junction box in the neighborhood was apparently a bit jacked up, and thus causing signal degradation during high winds and other crappy weather (namely, winter in Michigan).

-b0b
(...fixed!  Yeah!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #144 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 1:18am
Print Post  
The forum will be down for several hours at some point in the next couple days.  My office has been hitting 85 degrees this week with the air conditioner going full tilt, and it's only been around 75 degrees outside.  I really don't want my office to burst into flames this summer, so I've decided to stop being lazy and move my network equipment and servers into the basement.

We've finally started painting our Pepto Bismol-pink basement in preparation, and should be done with the majority of it by tomorrow evening.  Moving the network racks, servers, and other stuff is a bit of a monumental undertaking, so it will take several hours to relocate everything and run new cabling.

-b0b
(...will post pics!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #145 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
The forum is going down in a few minutes for the big migration.  Hopefully we'll be back in a few hours!

-b0b
(...is already sweating!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #146 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
If you can see this, it works!  What a huge, huge project.  I forgot how much all that crap weighed!

Special thanks to my lovely Mere who toiled with me for many hours over the past week painting and doing prep work.  She even helped me carry the endless piles of equipment down to the basement!

There will be intermittent downtime tomorrow (today?) as I run some new cabling.  I need to get to bed, so some of the Cat5 runs are temporary.

Thanks guys!

-b0b
(...w00t!)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #147 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Wow Bob and Mere, seriously thank you! Epic job! I think we owe you guys some fire wings...   Smiley

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #148 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Whoops, somehow managed to get the time service (NTP) screwed up on the web server, hence the previous posts occurring two days ago despite actually being posted today.

-b0b
(...fixed!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #149 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 11:32am
Print Post  
I finished up the last of the wiring this morning, and everything seems to be humming along just fine.

The difference in temperature and noise in my office is astounding.  The hard drives on the server were reaching temperatures of 108 degrees Fahrenheit in the office with the AC cranked with an outside temperature of 80 degrees.  Now that I've moved the servers and network equipment into the basement, the hard drive temperature is now holding steady at 79 degrees Fahrenheit with no AC with an outside temperature of 80 degrees!  That's a 30 degree drop in internal temperatures even with the loss of AC!

The difference in noise in my office is also quite astonishing, and it's honestly a bit difficult to get used to.  I haven't had a quiet office in years!  I still have the faint whir of the Bobulator (so much quieter than its predecessor!) and a single Cisco 2950 switch, but it is eerily quiet in here by comparison.  It's really a bit disquieting after so many years of white noise.

Other upgrades:
  • Installed a newer video card in the file server.
  • Installed a newish KVM switch that offers bare-metal access over IP, so I can fix broken servers remotely.
  • Installed an Ethernet surge protector between the cable gateway and the router to protect against lightning strikes.
  • Installed surge-protecting receptacles to replace standard power receptacles.  This should prevent lightning surges from even reaching the UPS.

-b0b
(...weeee!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
Send TopicPrint