Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic F.E.A.R. Game (Read 5306 times)
b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

F.E.A.R. Game
Oct 24th, 2005 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
Have any of you played this?  It looks like a freakin' awesome game, stupid name notwithstanding.

I'm downloading it now (~4.6GB) so if it sucks, let me know so I can save some bandwidth.  I post some screenshots later this week.

-b0b
(...thinks crazy little girls are scary.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: F.E.A.R. Game
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Ahh sweet, I didn't know it was out yet, I'll have to waste some bandwidth too. I haven't read any reviews on it yet, but it looked interesting.

How was Quake 4?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Beats me.  I'm too lazy to install it.

-b0b
(...is honest, if nothing else.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Penny Arcade had some "words" about the copy protection from the FEAR Collector's Edition DVD.  As always, they make some great points.

-b0b
(...agrees wholeheartedly.)

Quote:
With a barely concealed rage, I returned my DVD Collector's Nonfunctional Edition of F.E.A.R. for the five (!) CD version, which installed and played like you would expect a piece of retail software to do. I wanted elaborations upon the action-packed gunplay I saw in the demo, and that urge was stronger (although just marginally so) than the urge to set the DVD ablaze and instigate some kind of consumer march.

I haven't discussed it for a while because I find it so frustrating, and I honestly believe that nothing could change their approach to software protection. What made it come up again was the copy protection that came along with the King Kong demo. Oh, you heard right: the wave of the future is apparently copy protection on freely available software. I'd never have known, either, if it hadn't made me restart so it could load fuck knows whatever bullshit memory resident. Is it still there now? Watching?

Someone needs to emphasize this in such a way that the right people see it: people who pirate software enjoy cracking it. The game itself is orders of magnitude less amusing. And their distributed ingenuity will smash your firm, secure edifice into beach absolutely every Goddamn time. There are no exceptions to this rule.

It's not even an effective threat to say that I am being driven away from gaming on personal computers via a conflux of price and convenience issues, because traditional PC publishers and PC developers themselves are either hedging their bets with console content or are focusing their business on it entirely. They are sporting a wide, supple mitt and will catch that cash by hook or by crook.

Now you can see why I never bring it up. Optimally, I don't like to feel this defeated before noon.

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Yea I remember buying Empire : Dawn of the Modern Age. Even thoough I was fully legal, it still said "insert the correct CD-ROM"

Needless to say, that was the last game I purchased or will purchase. Cept for WoW, but I don't play that anymore.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #5 - Oct 24th, 2005 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
The other thing that annoys me are "Enhanced CD's."  I've bought two CD's in the last couple of months that won't play in my car because they're "enhanced" with videos and other mindless blather.

If I wanted the video, I'd download it.

I bought Chris Rice's new worship CD a few weeks back, and the new Barlow Girl CD this weekend, and I can't use either of them in the car.  I guess I'll just have to burn the mp3's, which defeats the purpose.

-b0b
(...grumble cakes.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint