Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Science Schmience Thread (Read 420677 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Science Schmience Thread
Reply #105 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/cp_g110402A.xml.html

Quote:
Japanese researchers said Sunday a bottlenose dolphin captured last month has an extra set of fins that could be the remains of back legs, providing further evidence ocean-dwelling mammals once lived on land.

Fishermen captured the four-finned dolphin off the coast of Wakayama prefecture in western Japan on Oct. 28 and alerted the nearby Taiji Whaling Museum, said museum director Katsuki Hayashi.

Ahh science.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #106 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
What's up with the new avatar, Briney?  It looks like a Wii advertisement with a fruity background.

-b0b
(...chuckles.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #107 - Nov 5th, 2006 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
ya its Wiidiculous, isnt it?

I was watching some trailers for the Wii in class, and in every one, the players were so bloody excited to be playing that i took a clip from it and made a gif. This kid was playing some kinda baseball game and i have no idea what that move is.

hehe

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #108 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 12:09am
Print Post  
I just want a full body suit controller.  That way I can karate kick b0b in the face over Xbox 1024 LIVE from Colorado Springs to Podunk Michiga.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #109 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Sorry, Wes, but I doubt they'll make a bodysuit in XXXXXL!

-b0b
(...is scared to think of what it'd look like.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #110 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 11:44am
Print Post  
I was over at a new friends house yesterday and saw a commercial for a Wii game called Sadness.  It did make me sad...because people would be excited to play it.  You had to use the wand controller to move your torch to get rid of rats, or use it to slash a guy's throat, or to stab demons.  They made a beautiful model as the player...yet, all I could think of was how most of the games will be excitedly played by Japanese who will wash windows or play tennis or wash windows.  OOO FUN!!!  I hope Nintendo goes almost belly up with the Wii.  I hope it will do worse than the Virtual Boy and Sega Saturn.  And all those people in your class Briney, will be weeping and nash their teeth.  I want the rivers to run white with the Wii, I want morgues filled with bodies with controllers embedded in people's eyes because they couldn't take the gayness anymore.

In conclusion, I don't like the Wii.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #111 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Briney you posted the story not 3 minutes before I was...however I have a picture!

Yes that's right...rear fins mean legs to scientists.  Just like if a kid has a third eye that means his ancestors did too.  Haven't these people seen mutants before?  Now if the dolphin truly did have legs I would be more inclined to believe in the evolution of the dolphin.  However I just can't see the dolphin be a sea dweller and then a land dweller and then went back.  It's like how evolutionists believe the whale evolved into the cow and then got sick of it and went back to be a bigger whale.  These people, I will give them this, are so hard up to believe their theory so they don't have to accept a more rational one, or at least one that fits more the facts, that they are willing to believe this hard.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #112 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Quote:
British Begin Debate on Killing Disabled Babies

If top British doctors have their way, routinely killing babies born with serious disabilities will be allowed.

Behind this shocking proposal is nothing less than Britain's Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecology, which has called on doctors to consider permitting infanticide in the case of seriously disabled newborn babies. According to Britain�s Sunday Times, geneticists and medical ethicists supported the proposal -� as did the mother of a severely disabled child -� while a prominent children�s doctor described it as "social engineering.�

John Wyatt, consultant neonatologist at University College London hospital, told the Times: "Intentional killing is not part of medical care,� adding that "The majority of doctors and health professionals believe that once you introduce the possibility of intentional killing into medical practice you change the fundamental nature of medicine. It immediately becomes a subjective decision as to whose life is worthwhile.�

If a doctor can decide whether a life is worth living, he told the Times, "it changes medicine into a form of social engineering where the aim is to maximize the benefit for society and minimize those who are perceived as worthless.�

And Simone Aspis of the British Council of Disabled People told the Times: "If we introduced euthanasia for certain conditions it would tell adults with those conditions that they were worth less than other members of society.�

Arguing that what it called "active euthanasia� -- their euphemism for infanticide -- should be considered for the overall good of families, to spare parents the emotional burden and financial hardship of bringing up the sickest babies, the college statement declared: "A very disabled child can mean a disabled family. If life-shortening and deliberate interventions to kill infants were available, they might have an impact on obstetric decision-making, even preventing some late abortions, as some parents would be more confident about continuing a pregnancy and taking a risk on outcome.�

The college�s call that "active euthanasia� of newborns be considered came as part of an inquiry into the ethical issues raised by the policy of prolonging life in newborn babies by the Nuffield Council on Bioethics.

In response to the inquiry, the college stated: "We would like the working party to think more radically about non-resuscitation, withdrawal of treatment decisions, the best interests test and active euthanasia as they are ways of widening the management options available to the sickest of newborns.�

Initially, the inquiry did not address euthanasia of newborns, as this is illegal in Britain, the Times reported, noting that now the college has succeeded in having it considered. Although it says it is not formally calling for active euthanasia to be introduced, it wants the mercy killing of newborn babies to be debated by society.

If doctors in the Netherlands �- where the Times observes mercy killing is permitted for a range of incurable conditions, including severe spina bifida and the painful skin condition called epidermolysis bullosa �- the question may be moot; they say that British doctors are already killing disabled babies.

Dr. Pieter Sauer, co-author of the Groningen Protocol, the Dutch national guidelines on euthanasia of newborns, told the Times that British pediatricians are already performing mercy killings, and says the practice should be done openly.

Sauer, head of the department of pediatrics at the University Medical Centre Groningen, told the Times: "In England they have exactly the same type of patients as we have here. English neonatologists gave me the indication that this is happening.�

As much was admitted by Dr Richard Nicholson, editor of the Bulletin of Medical Ethics, who told the Times he hastened the death of two severely handicapped newborn babies when he was a junior doctor in the 1970s. Speaking of the "pain, distress and discomfort� of severely handicapped babies he said: "I wouldn�t argue against this.�

Others coming out in favor of killing disabled babies were John Harris, a member of the government�s Human Genetics Commission and professor of bioethics at Manchester University and the mother of a baby born with a serious disability. Harris told the Times: "We can terminate for serious fetal abnormality up to term but cannot kill a newborn. What do people think has happened in the passage down the birth canal to make it OK to kill the fetus at one end of the birth canal but not at the other?� he said, obviously referring to partial-birth abortion.

And Edna Kennedy of Newcastle upon Tyne, whose son suffered epidermolysis bullosa, said: "In extremely controlled circumstances, where the baby is really suffering, it should be an option for the mother.�

How freakin' evil will humanity become before the Return?

-b0b
(...wants to break something.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #113 - Nov 6th, 2006 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Ugh, that is disgusting.

Quote:
We can terminate for serious fetal abnormality up to term but cannot kill a newborn. What do people think has happened in the passage down the birth canal to make it OK to kill the fetus at one end of the birth canal but not at the other?�

how can a human even say that?

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #114 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
This is a pretty good article but I can still pick out the bias of the reporter...or the newspaper.

Quote:
So what's with all the dinosaurs?

The world's first Creationist museum - dedicated to the idea that the creation of the world, as told in Genesis, is factually correct - will soon open. Stephen Bates is given a sneak preview and asks: was there really a tyrannosaurus in the Bible?

Monday November 13, 2006
The Guardian

Dinosaur
The Creation Museum's motto: Prepare to Believe.

Just off the interstate, a couple of junctions down from Cincinnati's international airport, over the state line in rural Kentucky, the finishing touches are being put to an impressive-looking building. When it is finished and open to the public next summer, it may, quite possibly, be one of the weirdest museums in the world.

The Creation Museum - motto: "Prepare to Believe!" - will be the first institution in the world whose contents, with the exception of a few turtles swimming in an artificial pond, are entirely fake. It is dedicated to the proposition that the account of the creation of the world in the Book of Genesis is completely correct, and its mission is to convince visitors through a mixture of animatronic models, tableaux and a strangely Disneyfied version of the Bible story.

Article continues
Its designer, Patrick Marsh, used to work at Universal Studios in Los Angeles and then in Japan before he saw the light, opened his soul to Jesus, and was born anew. "The Bible is the only thing that gives you the full picture," he says. "Other religions don't have that, and, as for scientists, so much of what they believe is pretty fuzzy about life and its origins ... oh, this is a great place to work, I will tell you that."

So this is the Bible story, as truth. Apart from the dinosaurs, that is. As you stand in the museum's lobby - the only part of the building approaching completion - you are surrounded by life-size dinosaur models, some moving and occasionally grunting as they chew the cud.Beside the turtle pool, two animatronic, brown-complexioned children, demurely dressed in Hiawatha-like buckskin, gravely flutter with movement. Behind them lurk two small Tyrannosaurus Rexes. This scene is meant to date from before the Fall of Man and, apparently, dinosaurs.

Theological scholars may have noticed that there are, in fact, no dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible - and here lies the Creationists' first problem. Since there are undoubtedly dinosaur bones and since, according to the Creationists, the world is only 6,000 years old - a calculation devised by the 17th-century Bishop Ussher, counting back through the Bible to the Creation, a formula more or less accepted by the museum - dinosaurs must be shoehorned in somewhere, along with the Babylonians, Egyptians and the other ancient civilisations. As for the Grand Canyon - no problem: that was, of course, created in a few months by Noah's Flood.

But what, I ask wonderingly, about those fossilised remains of early man-like creatures? Marsh knows all about that: "There are no such things. Humans are basically as you see them today. Those skeletons they've found, what's the word? ... they could have been deformed, diseased or something. I've seen people like that running round the streets of New York."

Nothing can dent the designer's zeal as he leads us gingerly through the labyrinth of rooms still under construction, with bits of wood, and the odd dinosaur head occasionally blocking our path. The light of keenness shines from the faces of the workers, too, as they chisel out mountain sides and work out where to put the Tree of Life. They greet us cheerily as we pass.

They, too, know they are doing the Lord's Work, and each has signed a contract saying they believe in the Seven Days of Creation theory. Mornings on this construction site start with prayer meetings. Don't think for a minute that this is some sort of crazy little hole-in-the-corner project. The museum is costing $25m (£13m) and all but $3m has already been raised from private donations. It is strategically placed, too - not in the middle of nowhere, but within six hours' drive of two-thirds of the entire population of the US. And, as we know, up to 50 million of them do believe that the Bible's account of Creation is literally true.

We pass the site where one day an animatronic Adam will squat beside the Tree. With this commitment to authenticity, I find myself asking what they are doing about the fig leaf. Marsh considers this gravely and replies: "He is appropriately positioned, so he can be modest. There will be a lamb or something there next to him. We are very careful about that: some of our donors are scared to death about nudity."

The same will go for the scene where Eve is created out of Adam's rib, apparently, and parents will be warned that little children may be scared by the authenticity of some of the scenes. "Absolutely, because we are in there, being faithful to scripture."

A little licence is allowed, however, where the Bible falls down on the details. The depiction of a wall-sized section of Noah's Ark is based, not on the traditional picture of a flat-decked boat, but one designed by navy engineers with a keel and bows, which might, at least, have floated. "You can surmise," says Marsh. When you get inside, there's nifty computer software telling you how they fitted all the animals in, too.

The museum's research scientist, Dr Jason Lisle, has a PhD in astrophysics from the University of Colorado at Boulder. He realised he was a Christian while he was an undergraduate, but didn't spread it around: "People get very emotional about the issue. I don't believe we should ever be obnoxious about our faith. I just kept quiet." And how did he pass the exams? "I never lied, but if I was asked a question about the age of the universe, I answered from my knowledge of the topic, not my beliefs."

The museum's planetarium is his pride and joy. Lisle writes the commentary. "Amazing! God has a name for each star," it says, and: "The sun's distance from earth did not happen by chance." There is much more in this vein, but not what God thought he was doing when he made Pluto, or why.

Now, we are taken to meet Ken Ham, the museum's director and its inspiration. Ham is an Australian, a former science teacher - though not, he is at pains to say, a scientist - and he has been working on the project for much of the past 20 years since moving to the US. "You'd never find something like this in Australia," he says. "If you want to get the message out, it has to be here."

Reassuringly, on the wall outside his office, are three framed photographs of the former Australian cricket captain Steve Waugh - "cricket's never really caught on over here" - and inside, on his bookshelves, is a wooden model of a platypus. On top of the shelves is an array of fluffy poodle toys, as well as cuddly dinosaurs. "Poodles are degenerate mutants of dogs. I say that in my lectures and people present them to me as gifts."

Ham is a large man with a chin-hugging beard like an Old Testament prophet or an old-fashioned preacher, both of which he is, in a way. He lectures all over the world and spent a month in Britain earlier in the summer spreading the message to the faithful in parish halls from Cornwall to Scotland. "We want to try to convince people using observational science," he says. "It's done very gently but forthrightly. We give both sides, which is more than the Science Museum in London does."

This is true in that the Creation museum does include an animatronic evolutionist archaeologist, sitting beside a creationist, at one point. But there's no space for an animatronic Charles Darwin to fit alongside King David and his harp.

On the shelf behind Ham's desk lie several surprising books, including Richard Dawkins' latest. "I've skipped through it. The thing is, Dawkins does not have infinite knowledge or understanding himself. He's got a position, too, it's just a different one from ours. The Bible makes sense and is overwhelmingly confirmed by observable science. It does not confirm the belief in evolution."

But if you believe in the Bible, why do you need to seek scientific credibility, and why are Creationists so reluctant to put their theories to peer review, I ask?

"I would give the same answer as Dawkins. He believes there is no God and nothing you could say would convince him otherwise. You are dealing with an origins issue. If you don't have the information, you cannot be sure. Nothing contradicts the Bible's account of the origins."

We wander across to the bookshop, which, far from being another biblical epic, is done up like a medieval castle, framed with heraldic shields and filled with images of dragons - dragons, you see, being what dinosaurs became. It is full of books with titles such as Infallible Proofs, The Lie, The Great Dinosaur Mystery Solved and even a DVD entitled Arguments Creationists Should Not Use. As we finish the tour, Ham tells us about the museum's website, AnswersInGenesis.org. They are expecting 300,000 visitors a year. "You've not seen anything yet," he says with a smile.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #115 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
...it may, quite possibly, be one of the weirdest museums in the world.

Wow, that article isn't biased at all.  We need to make a field trip next summer!

-b0b
(...would love to go.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #116 - Nov 13th, 2006 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Oh most definitely...if we could see Ken Hamm that'd be awesome as well.  Another Creationist met!  Hopefully this one won't go to jail!

From CSE, Dr. Dino, blog:

"We have heard from Dr. Hovind. He is faithfully serving the Savior in the Escambia County Jail. He has already lead at least two men to the Lord. The mother of one of the men called to CSE to thank us for an answer to her years of prayer."

X

IP Logged

Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #117 - Nov 14th, 2006 at 6:51pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #118 - Nov 15th, 2006 at 12:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
New evidence shows a different meteor killed dinosaurs By Ernest Gill

dpa German Press Agency
Published: Sunday November 12, 2006

By Ernest Gill, Hamburg- In a scenario resembling the dramatic conclusion to a TV crime drama, paleo-forensics experts have produced new evidence to show that the dinosaurs were bumped off by a different meteor than the one that has received the rap for their extinction. The German palaeontologists insist that a mysterious meteor or comet must have done the deadly deed - long after the notorious Yucatan meteor that has hitherto been blamed.

Oh "must have" yep that sounds like science and NOT like some wishful thinking.  What ever happen to "I don't know" being an acceptable answer?  What shape is the Earth?  A long time ago some bumbled head who didn't read the Bible said "oh it's flat".  Why?  He had no clue...he just wanted people to like him and get his name in the paper or yelled out at the street corner.  What should have been done, ooo nope..you thought I was going to say go with the Bible answer...nope, the answer "We don't know yet" should have been said and then scientific study should have been done.  However I will let the flat earthers off on this since the scientific method wasn't put into wide use until much later when Descartes, a Christian, came up with it basically.

Quote:
Until now, it has been accepted generally that the Chicxulub impact off the coast of Mexico 65 million years ago wiped out the dinosaurs. Evidence of the crater left by the giant asteroid or comet has been found under the sea off the coast of Yucatan.

There are craters all over the world...big ones.  Why big just this random one?  Oh that's right...cause it's science.  I understand science changes...I do.  Yet I think we can all agree that there are good theories and there are bad theories.  If we are going to accept all theories as good then I want my theory that dinos were zapped into Jello and I can prove this because there is jello in the world and tree sap is sticky...obviously from the dinos eating themselves by the trees.  My jello theory is just as likely as a comet or big rock killing them if we are just going to randomly guess here.  Scientists see a big hole and say...ope this killed the dinos.  Well why not say Mt. Everest came from space and killed them off as well?

Quote:
But a group of scientists led by Professor Gerta Keller of Princeton and Professor Wolfgang Stinnesbeck of the University of Karlsruhe begged to differ. They uncovered a series of geological clues which suggests the truth may be far more complicated.

Woa wait!  We can't have complicated answers!  Occam's razor says that the simplest explanation tends to be the correct one!  Science goes along with this all the time, esp when they don't want to debate God.

Quote:
In short, they say that the crater in the Yucatan is too old to have killed off the dinosaurs. Yucatan took the rap for a dino murder that occurred much later.

So did the dinos survive that one?  Man it's almost like if they could survive this huge butt one that everyone thought wiped them about they could do it again...right?  Oh just read the next part.

Quote:
However, no-one has yet found the crater from the "real culprit" impact which ended the Age of Reptiles and caused one of the largest mass extinctions in history.

OK THIS IS BULLCRAP!!!  I can't believe in a loving perfect Being.  But they can believe in a hole that no one has seen?!  F-N BULLCRAP!

Quote:
"There is some evidence that it may have hit in India," says Dr. Keller. The crater, named Shiva by one expert, is estimated to measure 500 kilometres (over 300 miles) in diameter. However, at this time there is little proof of its existence.

Keller says marine microfossils in sediments drilled from the ocean floor show that Chicxulub hit Earth 300,000 years before the mass extinction it was supposed to have caused.

The small marine animals that produced the microfossils escaped virtually unscathed.

Tiny, frail creatures survived?  It almost sounds like that many other things could easily survive as well.  Oh...wait I forgot...we KNOW that a rock killed the dinos.

[/quote]The Chicxulub impact conspired with the Deccan Flood Basalt eruptions in India, a period of prolonged and intense volcanic activity, to nudge species towards the brink, said Dr Keller.

Vast amounts of greenhouse gas were pumped into the atmosphere by the Deccan volcanism over a period of more than a million years. By the time Chicxulub struck, land temperatures were seven to eight degrees Celsius warmer than they had been 20,000 earlier. [/quote]

Welp looks like we don't have to worry about the green house effect.  If it took a million years to kill the dinos and it only caused the Earth to cool to 7 or 8 degrees C (how they know that is un-F-N-knowable) then it shouldn't bother anyone else.  Shoot the industrial revolution only took place some 100 years ago.  We have 999,900+/- years left!  Take that Al Gore!

Quote:
Weakened by these events, species were finally killed off by the second impact.

The previous impact theory was beautifully simple and appealing. Much of its evidence was drawn from a thin layer of rock known as the "KT boundary." This layer is 65 million years old (which is around the time when the dinosaurs disappeared) and is found around the world exposed in cliffs and mines.

It couldn't be cause when you shake a bottle of water and different rocks that the water separates and like minded rocks tend to collect...kinda like a world wide Flood, is it?  Oh that's right...we're still on the big butt rock hitting us.

Quote:
For supporters of the impact theory, the KT boundary layers contained two crucial clues. In 1979, scientists discovered that there were high concentrations of a rare element called iridium, which they thought could only have come from an asteroid. Right underneath the iridium was a layer of spherules, tiny balls of rock which seemed to have been condensed from rock which had been vapourised by a massive impact.

So why couldn't iridium come from the Earth as well?  If we believe asteroid, man that was a fun game...ummm, are made from left over junk that weren't worthy to become planets or old planets...then how come the Earth couldn't have this same element?  Oh I forgot...can't think outside mainstream theory.  That would be NOT relying on AUTHORITY...like me as a Christian does.  Huh?

Quote:
But Keller's team concentrated on a series of rock formations in Mexico where the iridium layer was separated from the spherule layer by many metres of sandstone. Keller found evidence such as ancient worm burrows that suggested that the deposition of the sandstone had been interrupted many times.

NO!  NO!  TELL ME IT'S NOT TRUE!!  Ohh how shall we ever date the fossils if the rocks are in the wrong place...different to what I know them to always be in.  Oh that's right...I can always date the rocks by the fossils that are in them...phew.

Quote:
Her team concluded that there was a gap of some 300,000 years between the deposition of the spherules (from the Chicxulub crater) and the iridium (from an asteroid). Therefore, there must have been two impacts.

You think dinos would have died from old age waiting for another giant rock to hit them again.  After all we know simple life can't form in oxygen rich environments...oh but how could dinos grow that big if the Earth wasn't abundantly rich in oxygen?  Well you say what had happen was....

X
Smiley

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #119 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=3922...

Man they'll call anything evolution today!

Quote:
Marooned on an island, this group of lions should have died out. Instead, in an evolutionary twist, they've learned to swim and become strong enough to tackle their only prey... giant buffalo

Fearless, ferocious and mightier than the world has ever seen, this is the new breed of super-lion

Well I've been working out and gaining muscle...that must mean I'm evolving.  What's that your child is learning to swim?  No, no, he's evolving so he can swim.  What's that you can fit 6 billiard balls in your mouth and 6 other in various other orifices?  No, you're just evolving!

X
(Didn't write this post...it evolved from nothing into this!)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31
Send TopicPrint