Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Science Schmience Thread (Read 420631 times)
X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Re: Science Schmience Thread
Reply #135 - Jan 22nd, 2007 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Dinosaur may have resembled the biplane

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, AP Science Writer 1 hour, 36 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - When the Wright Brothers first took to the sky in a biplane, they were using a design nature may have tried 125 million years earlier. A new study of one of the earliest feathered dinosaurs suggests it may have had upper and lower sets of wings, much like the biplanes of early aviation. Today, the biplane is widely considered an old-fashioned rarity.
ADVERTISEMENT

And the design is no longer seen in birds, though it's not clear if it was a step on the way to modern birds or a dead end, tested by nature and discarded.

The intriguing possibility of a biplane dinosaur — Microraptor gui — is suggested by Sankar Chatterjee of Texas Tech University in this week's online issue of Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences.

Microraptor was described by Xing Xu of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2003 as having aerodynamic feathers on both its arms and legs. Xu suggested at the time that it glided, extending its legs backward so its wings were arranged one behind the other, like a dragonfly.

But that would be aerodynamically inefficient for a feathered creature, Chatterjee concluded, noting that the feathers on the legs would not face forward.

Instead, he suggested, the legs of the two-pound creature could have been held below the body in flight, creating two staggered wing sections, the upper one slightly ahead of the lower one.

One other flying dinosaur, Pedopenna, also had feathers on its legs, Chatterjee said, and modern raptors such as falcons have short feathers on their upper legs which reduce air resistance as they fly.

"Aircraft designers have mimicked many of nature's flight 'inventions,' usually inadvertently," Chatterjee wrote. "Now, it seems likely that Microraptor invented the biplane 125 million years before the Wright 1903 Flyer."

Xu, who said a variety of reconstructions have been suggested since the original one, called Chatterjee's proposal "likely," but added that "we really need to work painstakingly to check all details and have an accurate reconstruction, and then we can compare different models in computer or even in wind tunnel, which we are planning to do."

"Microraptor is a critical species in understanding the origin of flight," added Xu, who was not associated with Chatterjee's research team.

Matthew Carrano, curator of dinosaurs at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History, said the question focuses on what the legs can do, and it's a difficult problem because the fossils are flat and require interpretation as to what they would have looked like in three dimensions.

Carrano, who also was not part of Chatterjee's research team, said this creature was probably a side branch rather than a stage evolution had to pass through on the way to today's birds.

"It's difficult to see how this animal does anything well, it seems so ungainly," Carrano said. "It forces us to think creatively because it's so far off the beaten path."

There are often such experiments that fall by the wayside, he said.

"The important thing is, because we've now got all these feathered dinosaurs to look at, it has kind of opened the gates a bit to speculating about how flight evolved," Carrano said.

Chatterjee's research was funded by Texas Tech University.

And maybe Penguins and Ostriges were the SR-71 Blackbirds of the water!

So what scientists here are telling us is that dinosaurs stopped being lizards, for whatever reason, and suddenly formed 2 sets of wings, all of a sudden.  Then over time they found that the single wing design was much better.  Then they developed anti-gravity devices and sored into outer space!  Ok that last part was mine...but I give it a few million years and just watch the birds take off towards Alpha Centari.

Freakin ridiculous!

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #136 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 1:34am
Print Post  
Because Fox News represents the "conservative" and "Christian" aspect of America...they have posted a separated Science section called "Evolution and Paleontology" page!

http://www.foxnews.com/science/evolution/index.html

How fun!  Where's the Creationist articles?  Ha ha ha ...ya I know...too much to expect.

X

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #137 - Jan 29th, 2007 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Study: Surface of Mars Devoid of Life

Ker Than
Staff Writer
SPACE.com 2 hours, 43 minutes ago

This story was updated at 11:50 am EST.
ADVERTISEMENT

The last refuge for Martian life, if it exists, might be deep below the planet's surface and beyond the reach of any currently planned missions, according to a new study.

After mapping cosmic radiation levels at various depths on Mars, researchers have concluded that any life within the first several yards of the planet's surface would be killed by lethal doses of cosmic radiation.

The finding will be detailed in the Jan. 30 issue of the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

This just in...people go to strip clubs to watch women take off their clothes.  Also a story developing that when a picture is taken...it shows what you were pointing the camera at.  Later...what could be in your house hold poison...that could kill you!!!

Although I have to give it up to the story for suggesting that life still could live under the surface...go you.

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #138 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 12:46am
Print Post  
http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/global-warming020507.htm

Quote:
No sensible person seeks conflict, especially with governments, but if we don't pursue the truth, we are lost as individuals and as a society. That is why I insist on saying that there is no evidence that we are, or could ever cause global climate change. And, recently, Yuri A. Izrael, Vice President of the United Nations sponsored Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) confirmed this statement. So how has the world come to believe that something is wrong?

Maybe for the same reason we believed, 30 years ago, that global cooling was the biggest threat: a matter of faith. "It is a cold fact: the Global Cooling presents humankind with the most important social, political, and adaptive challenge we have had to deal with for ten thousand years. Your stake in the decisions we make concerning it is of ultimate importance; the survival of ourselves, our children, our species," wrote Lowell Ponte in 1976.

I was as opposed to the threats of impending doom global cooling engendered as I am to the threats made about Global Warming. Let me stress I am not denying the phenomenon has occurred. The world has warmed since 1680, the nadir of a cool period called the Little Ice Age (LIA) that has generally continued to the present. These climate changes are well within natural variability and explained quite easily by changes in the sun. But there is nothing unusual going on.

Since I obtained my doctorate in climatology from the University of London, Queen Mary College, England my career has spanned two climate cycles. Temperatures declined from 1940 to 1980 and in the early 1970's global cooling became the consensus. This proves that consensus is not a scientific fact. By the 1990's temperatures appeared to have reversed and Global Warming became the consensus. It appears I'll witness another cycle before retiring, as the major mechanisms and the global temperature trends now indicate a cooling.

Good read.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #139 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 8:04am
Print Post  
It's 20 degrees below zero and they want to talk about global warming?  Pssh!

-b0b
(...whatever.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #140 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 7:42pm
Print Post  
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=4344...

Quote:
Yesterday at Mantua, in an amazing echo of that heartrending story, archaeologists revealed the discovery of a couple locked in a tender embrace, one that has endured for more than 5,000 years.

The find was unearthed by experts digging at a neolithic site at a less than romantic industrial estate. Scientists are to examine the skeletons to try to establish how old they were when they died and how long they have been buried.

One theory being examined is that the man was killed and the woman then sacrificed so that his soul would be accompanied in the after life.

Flood victims? Flood as in THE flood?

meh.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #141 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 7:46pm
Print Post  
You might have something there, Briney.

I ran into Brandon at the restaurant he's working at in Kalamazoo and he asked me to pass along his greetings.  We'll have to get together and pay him a visit one of these days.

-b0b
(...thought he'd mention it.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #142 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/02/06/kenya.fossildebate.ap/index.html

Quote:
Dinosaur fossils and a bone from an early human ancestor, dating back 7 million years, will also be on show along with the bones of short-necked giraffes and elephants whose tusks protrude from their lower jaws.

They provide the clearest and unrivaled record yet of evolution and the origins of man, say scientists.

But the highlight will be the 5-foot-3 Turkana Boy, who died at age 12 and whose skeleton had been preserved in marshland before its discovery.

It will form the center stage of the exhibition to be launched in July following a $10.5 million renovation of the National Museums of Kenya, financed by the European Union. The EU says it has no concerns over the displays and that the museum was free to exhibit what it wished.

Followers of creationism believe in the literal truth of the Genesis account in the Bible that God created the world in six days. Bishop Adoyo believes the world was created 12,000 years ago, with man appearing 6,000 years later. He says each biblical day was equivalent to 1,000 Earth years.

Adoyo's evangelical coalition is the only religious group voicing concern about the exhibition.

bah! A day is a 1000 years argument!

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #143 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 10:06pm
Print Post  
I think what makes that article more biased is that last line "only one complaining".  Just because it might be only one to know about it in that area doesn't make it right...jerks.

Me:  So I was on Main Street yesterday...
Bishop:  Liar!!
Me:  No, I really was!
Bishop:  You lie.  I doubt your truth telling abilities!
Me:  Why?
Bishop:  Because not only has Main Street not been around for a thousand years...you aren't that old!!!
Me: Doh!

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #144 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Quote:
Rarely seen 'living fossil' shark caught off Tokyo
Wed Feb 7, 12:22 PM ET

A goblin shark -- a rarely seen species often called a "living fossil" -- was caught alive in Tokyo Bay but died after being put on display, an aquarium said.

The grey, long-nosed shark was caught in fishermen's nets around 150 to 200 metres (500 to 650 feet) deep. It was discovered by officials of the Tokyo Sea Life Park when they took a boat with local fishermen on January 25.

"We were able to bring it to the aquarium alive and show it to the public," said an official at the park.

But the shark died on the morning of January 27.

"Dead goblin sharks are caught from time to time, but it is rarely seen alive. We were able to document the way the shark swims. After it died, we dissected the specimen for further studies," he said.

The shark was about 1.3 metres long.

Resembling pre-historic sharks, goblin sharks live on deep sea bottoms. Little is known about their lives.

The pictures don't want to load as images, so click the links.

-b0b
(...thinks they might not really be all that old.  Durrr.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #145 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 11:35am
Print Post  
I think "living fossils" is just another proof of how evolution is wrong.  How can dinosaurs turn into birds and yet we have this shark still around today like how is was 165 million years ago.  Same this with the sealacamp (sp?).  Shouldn't these sea creatures turned into...Flamingos or Hillary Clinton by now?

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #146 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11145-christian-faith-in-the-iotheri-good-...

This was on Fark, so you guys probably already saw it. Made my blood boil though.

Quote:
Flocks of the Christian faithful in the US will this Sunday hold special services celebrating Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. The idea is to stand up to creationism, which claims the biblical account of creation is literally true, and which is increasingly being promoted under the guise of "intelligent design". Proponents of ID say the universe is so complex it must have been created by some unnamed designer.

Support for "Evolution Sunday" has grown 13 per cent to 530 congregations this year, from the 467 that celebrated the inaugural event last year. Organisers see it as increasing proof that Christians are comfortable with evolution.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #147 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Well,  I guess you can't win them all.

-b0b
(...sighs.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #148 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
Best most of those are Catholics...cause why think if the Pope says so.

The pope says he is infallible
The pope says evolution is true
Therefore evolution is true.

Catholic logic at it's best!

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #149 - Feb 12th, 2007 at 5:20am
Print Post  
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54131

Quote:
A science student in Kentucky says when the Bible records God spoke, and things were created, that's just what happened, and he can support that with scientific experiments.

"If God spoke everything into existence as the Genesis record proposes, then we should be able to scientifically prove that the construction of everything in the universe begins with a) the Holy Spirit (magnetic field); b) Light (an electric field); and c) that Light can be created by a sonic influence or sound," Samuel J. Hunt writes on his website.

interesting

/fark

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 31
Send TopicPrint