Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Science Schmience Thread (Read 420628 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Science Schmience Thread
Reply #285 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070904/ap_on_sc/dna_differences

Quote:
People are less alike than scientists had thought when it comes to the billions of building blocks that make up each individual's DNA, according to a new analysis.

"Instead of 99.9 percent identical, maybe we're only 99 percent (alike)," said J. Craig Venter, an author of the study — and the person whose DNA was analyzed for it.

Several previous studies have argued for lowering the 99.9 percent estimate. Venter says this new analysis "proves the point."

Quote:
The 99 percent figure is close to what scientists have often estimated for the similarity between humans and chimps. But the human-chimp similarity drops to more like 95 percent when the more recently discovered kinds of DNA variation are considered, Venter said.

Oh crap! This new study proves that since we are less alike, we must be evolving!

Or..... we are several hundred generations from Adam, and losing genetic material with each reproduction!

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #286 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
I do believe that since we are finding these discrepancies it shows 2 things:

1) We are loosing genetic material.  This means that we are not Evolving into something bigger and better but rather DE-Evolving.  Critics always point to us living longer today than previously.  However if you look at the ages people lived before the Dark Ages, they are living the same lengths as we are.  We have better nutrition and preventative health care that helps a bit more but taken into account all of human history, that which everyone can agree on, we live about the same.

2) That when scientists site that apes are 98% the same as us they are using percentages to fib to us.  If I am 1% different from you does that mean I am better and more evolved than you?  Probably not.  So 2% of me from a money means I can reproduce with that monkey.  I mean shoot the difference between a female human and a female ape to me is only 1%.  However, we all know that wouldn't be possible.  Scientists see a common pattern and draw faulty conclusions with saying "apes are less evolved and we stemmed from a common ancestor.  However what they fail to tell you is that the 2% difference encompasses 3 million nucleotides.  And a change of just 2 of those nucleotides would mean death for any organism.  So if that is true...why is evolution still thought of as good science?

It's because, just as with global warming, science has  now become democratized.  What does Pluto, global warming, and evolution all have in common?  They are all voted upon by the scientific community.  Pluto was ousted by a majority vote.  Global Warming is more political than scientific (CO2 feeds plants...more food for plants means more air for us and other benefits).  And evolution is excepted and taught as truth because a majority of scientist except it.  No one goes back and retests that basic assumption, e.g., that all life evolves up, it's just excepted as fact and proof is sought after to be found to support it.  As a result, incorrect conclusions are drawn.  Also, attempting to submit any paper to peer review (again democratized science) being critical of evolutionary theory gets dismissed or thought of as just a few misplaced facts we haven't all worked out yet but will someday.

Which is truly the pseudo science here?

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #287 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
I thought scientists said we were more than 99% similar to apes?  Does that mean I'm now more similar to a monkey than certain other humans?

-b0b
(...thinks that explains a lot.)

IP Logged

Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #288 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6749213.stm

Apparently, gene understanding is still changing dramatically.  If 97% of the human genome was just recently thought to be junk, but have now have been seen to have complex functions and relationships, then I am guessing those simplified evolutionary comparisons might be based on hasty conclusions from an immature field.

here is another article on the same subject with some evolutionary journalism mixed in.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/13/AR2007061302466....

Quote:
As with phone lines that carry many voices at once, that arrangement has prompted the evolution of complex switching, splicing and silencing mechanisms -- mostly located between genes -- to sort out the interwoven messages.

yes.. our genome has evolved complex mechanisms the same way the phone lines evolved.. hehe

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #289 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
I am NOT a retarded retarted fish-frog baby!

AIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #290 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
No but your mom is

/drops the mike
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2007 at 6:24pm by X »  

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #291 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
Pat gots made raps y'all!

AIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #292 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
That was the worst string of misspelled posts I've ever seen.

-b0b
(...breaks the chain.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #293 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
That WAS pretty bad...I apologize and I have corrected my horrible error.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #294 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
Bahahaha, yes!

-b0b
(...cackles.)

GrammarTime.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #295 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Distant space collision meant doom for dinosaurs

By Will Dunham Wed Sep 5, 3:36 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A collision 160 million years ago of two asteroids orbiting between Mars and Jupiter sent many big rock chunks hurtling toward Earth, including the one that zapped the dinosaurs, scientists said on Wednesday.

Their research offered an explanation for the cause of one of the most momentous events in the history of life on Earth -- a six-mile-wide (10-km-wide) meteorite striking Mexico's Yucatan peninsula 65 million years ago.

That catastrophe eliminated the dinosaurs, which had flourished for about 165 million years, and many other life forms, and paved the way for mammals to dominate the Earth and the eventual rise of humankind, many scientists believe.

The impact is thought to have triggered a worldwide environmental cataclysm, expelling vast quantities of rock and dust into the sky, unleashing giant tsunamis, sparking global wildfires and leaving Earth shrouded in darkness for years.

U.S. and Czech researchers used computer simulations to calculate that there was a 90 percent probability that the collision of two asteroids -- one about 105 miles wide and one about 40 miles wide -- was the event that precipitated the Earthly disaster.

The collision occurred in the asteroid belt, a collection of big and small rocks orbiting the sun about 100 million miles from Earth, the researchers report in this week's issue of the journal Nature.

The asteroid Baptistina and rubble associated with it are thought to be leftovers, the scientists said.

Some of the debris from the collision escaped the asteroid belt, tumbled toward the inner solar system and whacked Earth and our moon, along with probably Mars and Venus, said William Bottke of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado, one of the researchers.

DEADLY COLLISION

The collision is believed to have doubled for a while the number of impacts occurring in this part of the solar system.

In fact, while the bombardment of this region of the solar system due to this shower of debris peaked about 100 million years ago, the scientists said the tail end of the shower continues to this day. Bottke said many existing near-Earth asteroids can be traced back to this collision.

"Imagine breaking up a big, big boulder on top of a hill and all the fragments rolling down the hill. And somewhere at the bottom is a village called Earth," Bottke said in a telephone interview.

The dinosaur-destroying meteorite, thought to have measured 6 miles across, plunged into Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula and blasted out the Chicxulub (pronounced CHIK-shu-loob) crater measuring about 110 miles wide. The researchers looked at evidence on the composition of this meteorite and found it consistent with the stony Baptistina.

The researchers estimated that there also was about a 70 percent probability that the prominent Tycho crater on the Moon, formed 108 million years ago and measuring about 55 miles

across, also was carved out by a remnant of the earlier asteroid collision.

Philippe Claeys of Vrije Universiteit Brussel in Belgium, who was not involved in the research, said by e-mail the findings were "clear evidence that the solar system is a violent environment and that collisions taking place in the asteroid belt can have major repercussions for the evolution of life on Earth."

Bottke emphasized that point. "Dinosaurs were around for a very long time. So the likelihood is they would still be around if that event had never taken place," Bottke said.

"Was humanity inevitable? Or is humanity just something that happened to arise because of this sequence of events that took place at just the right time. It's hard to say."

Ah...now it's TWO of them and now they're asteroids and not a meteorite.  And somehow just the dinos died and nothing else.  I also find it odd that while the crash occured 65 million years ago that we are still able to see the hole in the ground.  According to evolutionary theory we should have had a couple of thousand soil layers form, from somewhere...I don't know where, and so we shouldn't have been able to see the impact point.  The data they get just seems to be whatever they felt like putting into their computer model.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #296 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
That article just goes to show how scientists like to pull things out of their collective butts.  I bet funding was running low this week...

-b0b
(...complete fiction.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #297 - Sep 9th, 2007 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMHNnhAEDN4

Carl Sagan tells me that evolution is real and the steps we took to get to where we were...I like how he has to use animation...cause ya know...we'd have to wait 1 billion years for other things to evolve.

Yawwn

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #298 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Pennsylvania Man Claims to Burn Salt Water
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

ERIE, Pa. —  An Erie, Pa., cancer researcher says he has found a way to burn salt water, a novel invention that is being touted by a retired chemistry professor as the "most remarkable" water science discovery in a century.

John Kanzius says he happened upon the discovery accidentally when he tried to desalinate seawater with a radio-frequency generator he says he developed to treat cancer. He discovered that as long as the salt water was exposed to the radio frequencies, it would burn.

The discovery has scientists excited by the prospect of using salt water, the most abundant resource on earth, as a fuel.

Rustum Roy, a Penn State University emeritus professor of chemistry, has held demonstrations at his State College, Pa., lab to confirm his own observations.

The radio frequencies act to weaken the bonds between the elements that make up salt water, releasing the hydrogen, Roy said. Once ignited, the hydrogen will burn as long as it is exposed to the frequencies, he said.

The discovery is "the most remarkable in water science in 100 years," Roy said.

"This is the most abundant element in the world. It is everywhere," Roy said. "Seeing it burn gives me the chills."

Roy will meet this week with officials from the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense to try to obtain research funding.

Roy says the scientists want to find out whether the energy output from the burning hydrogen — which reached a heat of more than 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit — would be enough to power a car or other heavy machinery.

"We will get our ideas together and check this out and see where it leads," Roy said. "The potential is huge."

(Internet commentary upon Kanzius and Roy's assertion points out that creating fire from salt water is possible by first separating it into hydrogen, oxygen, sodium and chloride, then burning the sodium. However, such a process would consume much more energy than it produces.)

If there is even a shred of truth to this, we're in for a major technological revolution.

-b0b
(...would love to run his Grand Cherokee on salt water.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #299 - Sep 11th, 2007 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Then maybe we won't have to worry about the hippies saying our oceans are going to rise and the ice is going to melt.  Although solids are more dense than liquids and a melting of the ice would actually lower ocean levels...but who cares about science...we just want a global carbon tax!

X

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31
Send TopicPrint