Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Science Schmience Thread (Read 420672 times)
Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Re: Science Schmience Thread
Reply #30 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
"And despite a murky history, no scholar has suggested the document is a forgery. "

Wow, no one has even suggested forgery?  Shoot, why did we even bother testing it then?

I wonder if the Da Vinci code is going to have a sequel any time soon.

(..agrees with Bob)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #31 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I wonder if the Da Vinci code is going to have a sequel any time soon.

Haha i got a kick out of that one.

Yea these news reporters are so keen on shouting to the world whenever some paltry piece of "evidence" refutes the biblical story.
They are so eager to disprove what they don't want to believe.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #32 - Apr 17th, 2006 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
MediaMaster wrote on Apr 17th, 2006 at 4:18pm:
They are so eager to disprove what they don't want to believe.

Hammer, meet nail.  You hit that one right on the head.

-b0b
(...approves.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #33 - Apr 18th, 2006 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060418/sc_space/starclustersholdsecretstostellar...

"Astronomy is a science of observation. Unlike biologists or chemists, astronomers can't manipulate the objects they study. And against a night sky whose stellar inhabitants all appear identical, gauging even simple things about a star, such as its distance and brightness, is difficult."

See this first paragraph is written to show up that stellar evolution is as easy as looking out there and say "ah yes evolution IS true!"

They might not be able to "manipulate the objects they study" but they sure as heck can manipulate the findings.  However the average layman (I know I repeat myself) would not draw that conclusion.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

St1ck(Guest)

Reply #34 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/04/19/fossil.snake.ap/index.html

Quote:
If snakes did evolve on land rather than the sea, their fossil record might be less complete because early fossils would have been better preserved in a marine environment, he said.

better preserved in the water?  Doesn't the ocean thrash around even in deep water, therefore the fossil would be in many pieces and hardly preserved.

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #35 - Apr 20th, 2006 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Also if that were true wouldn't a global Flood be an awesome and logical reason as to why we DO have more fossils that we really should?

Yes, is the answer.

X

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #36 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 9:00am
Print Post  
X wrote on Apr 20th, 2006 at 7:04pm:
Also if that were true wouldn't a global Flood be an awesome and logical reason as to why we DO have more fossils that we really should?

Yeah, but... but... but.... science says it couldn't have happened!

-b0b
(...thinks we should go see that conspiracy theorist in Chicago.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #37 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 9:53am
Print Post  
I'd be up for the trip bob...Lord knows that I need someone else to talk to besides myself about these things.  The last thing anyone wants is to listen to a conspiracy theorist who talks to himself all the time.  I just have to be sure that I'm done with my school stuff.  It shouldn't be too much longer.  Prob the beginning of next month...what were those dates again?

Also, in reference to the Flood and science says it can't happen.  Scientists believe that a global flood happened on Mars.  So it can happen on Mars...but not on Earth!  How about that for a theory huh.  The Ark was really a spaceship and Mars use to be our home planet!  Man wouldn't that freak everyone out.

Including the Baptists...he he I keed I keed...I love ya b0b!

X
(Flinches)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #38 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 10:01am
Print Post  
June 2-4.  I don't know if I'd be up for all three days, but I would definitely like to see how he presents his argument.

June is going to be a busy month for me, too.  I'll have to see if I can slip a day off in there somewhere.  Maybe another Friday/Saturday road trip for us?

-b0b
(...would love to.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #39 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
Microwaved Water Kills Plants

http://www.execonn.com/sf/

It wasn't really performed according to the scientific method, but it'd be interesting to see this test performed properly.

-b0b
(...hmmmmms.)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #40 - Apr 21st, 2006 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
The self-cooling soda can...

http://www.tempratech.com/chill1.html

-b0b
(...would love to try one out.)

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #41 - May 9th, 2006 at 12:16am
Print Post  
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060508/sc_space/neanderthalsandhumansperhapsthey...

Quote:
The number of years that modern humans are thought to have overlapped with Neanderthals in Europe is shrinking fast, and some scientists now say that figure could drop to zero.

Neanderthals lived in Europe and western Asia from 230,000 to 29,000 years ago, petering out soon after the arrival of modern humans from Africa.

There is much debate on exactly how Neanderthals went extinct. Theories include climate change and inferior tools compared to those made by modern humans. Anthropologists also disagree on whether modern humans and Neanderthals are the same species and interbred.

And now, some scientists dispute whether they lived side-by-side at all in Europe.

How about neanderthals are just really old (600 yrs) human beings?

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #42 - May 9th, 2006 at 1:54am
Print Post  
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060508/sc_space/neanderthalsandhumansperhapsthey...

Alrighty folks...here we go again:

Quote:
The number of years that modern humans are thought to have overlapped with Neanderthals in Europe is shrinking fast, and some scientists now say that figure could drop to zero.

If this is true then evolution must take place in one generation, this is called puncured evolution.  This is when a, for example, dinosaur has a bird.  And of course WE'VE ALL SEE THIS HAPPEN (/sarcasm).  Ya know I would become an atheist evolutionist if a scientist could show me evolution happen.  Let's say we have a monkey and that monkey grows to be 5 foot tall, walk completely upright, and learn to speak rudimentary English.  It must also loose its tail, develop a different skeletal structure especially in the hands and feets, etc.  I want to be able to see evolution.  I can see the planets revolve around the sun.  I can see that 2+2=4 (5 if you live with Orwell).  Why can't we see anything but micro-"evolution" occur.  If these are gradual changes then show me that as well.  I want to see a human being who is on the cusp on the next evolutionary character, a homo-super-spaien if you will.  Also I would like to see someone explain to me the formation of the brain in little changes.  You'll make a believer out of me if you can do that.

Quote:
There is much debate on exactly how Neanderthals went extinct. Theories include climate change and inferior tools compared to those made by modern humans. Anthropologists also disagree on whether modern humans and Neanderthals are the same species and interbred.

Neanderthals have been proven time and again, by both creationists and non, that these "lower lifeforms" were just humans with advanced arthritist, probably from just after the Flood.  In fact, the continuous growth of the forehead and skull, which never stops growing, show that these humans were of a more advanced age than we can get to today.  If you want to know how "scientists" thought these were lower lifefroms you must understand that they saw the hunched back, big skull, and upright walk to be a middle step between apes and man.  However no other proof but the imagination of these "experts" supports this theory.  "But X, we've seen these acient men's faces with the aid of facial reconstruction and they look like a cross between apes and man!"  Two fold answer takes place here.  First, I could make your skull into a lesser advanced man by manipulating the program and using my imagination.  Put more hair on your face, make it darker, give you a unabrow, put you in a loin cloth.  Blam.  Cave man walking!  Second, the pictures you see in text books are arists renditions.  Scientists asked a few artists to imagine what early man would look like and draw it.  They did and when the scientists received the pictures they put them in an order, from early man to moder, as they saw fit.  By the power of imagination...we have SCIENCE...ence..ence...ence

Quote:
The timeline of human evolution is long and controversial, with significant gaps. Experts do not agree on many of the start and end points of various species. So this chart involves significant estimates.

Take that first sentence.  It says that we KNOW evolution is long.  Therefore evolution is true.  However in the same flippin sentence it also says it is controversial and filled with major gaps!  Therefore evolution...is true?  Experts don't agree on the begining or end....but evolution is true.  Now look at that last sentence...involves significant estimates...that means guessing.  Not science...guessing.  We need to rise up and slew these dreamers and put real scientists in charge.  I would rather have an evolutionist deal with hard facts then BS their theory with "significant estimates"!  Good grief I can't believe this world at all anymore.

Quote:
The overlap figure shrank in February with new research by Paul Mellars of Cambridge University based on improved carbon-14 dating to show that modern humans started encroaching from Israel upon Neanderthal territory in the Balkans 3,000 years sooner than previously thought. This rate suggests Neanderthals succumbed sooner to big climate shifts or competition from modern humans for resources and that they might have overlapped for only 1,000 years at sites in western France.

Carbon-14 errors aside...hmm this looks like a good place for a global Flood...oh wait...nope...that can't happen.

Quote:
There is no longer any biological evidence of overlap between Neanderthals and non-Neanderthals in Europe, Hawks wrote recently in his blog. Many anthropologists are aware of this but "would like to sweep it under a rug," Hawks told LiveScience.

We call these anthropoligists...charlatains and harlots.

Quote:
Anthropologists ideally rely on a combination of fossil and archaeological evidence to piece together how populations of early and modern humans evolved and dispersed globally. For one key culture though, called the early Aurignacian, there are no fossils, just sophisticated jewelry and stone and bone tools that many claim could only be made by modern humans with their advanced technologies relative to Neanderthals.

Let's see if you can find the major stupidity in this quote.  Go ahead...I'll give ya a minute.................

It's the "there are no fossils, just sophisticated jewlrey..."  So we have no proof for what is being said...but we have jewlry and tools!  Therefore evolution is true.  I love the other part...these can only be made with modern humans advanced tech...yeah could sharpening a rock and making jewlry is real tough there.  Man I took this bone, broke the end of, now it's really pointy...my tech fu is better than yours!

Quote:
A number of scientists recently have agreed that the carbon-14 dates on numerous fossils of modern humans should be shifted 2,000 to 7,000 years earlier.

What's this?  We should trust C-14...but shift the results to our desired theories?  Umm I always thought you started with a theory and found proof for or against it and then you changed your theory accordingly.  Man, I'm going to start doing this.  Ya know my stocks didn't do well...but if they did I would have gotten this $5 mill, so I'll just take it anyways.  Good grief.

Quote:
The trouble is that this trend leaves "a great big hole" in the fossil record when it comes to the early Aurignacian, Hawks said. The only group in Europe at the right time and place to have made the jewelry and tools attributed to early Aurignacian culture is the Neanderthals, he said.

A hole...or no transition?  Hmm I think so.

Quote:
Most likely, the later Aurignacian "was made by a population with genetic input from both Neandertals and modern humans from outside Europe, because the skeletal remains of later Aurignacian people have the features of both groups," Hawks says. "I would predict that the early Aurignacian people were actually more Neanderthal-like. Until we have skeletal remains, we won't know."

The major thing here is the "I think such and such...but we wont' have proof until later."  Ahh yes...science...that's how we do it here!  Also, in order to input genetic info, one species must have the info already in place.  So since we all came from simple life...simple life has the genetic info the the human eye, the human brain, lungs, aposible thumbs, etc.....right?  Oh no wai...THEY'RE SIMPLE!!!  They cannot add new info...only take away!  But we don't care about genetics...only when we can use it to our advantage...let's not have hard science get in the way of our relig...I mean belie....I mean known facts!

X

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #43 - May 9th, 2006 at 4:12am
Print Post  
Nice write up Patrick

I found this funny:

Quote:
my tech fu is better than yours!

lol

And this just defys logic, nice catch.

Quote:
Quote:
"A number of scientists recently have agreed that the carbon-14 dates on numerous fossils of modern humans should be shifted 2,000 to 7,000 years earlier."

What's this?  We should trust C-14...but shift the results to our desired theories?  Umm I always thought you started with a theory and found proof for or against it and then you changed your theory accordingly.  Man, I'm going to start doing this.  Ya know my stocks didn't do well...but if they did I would have gotten this $5 mill, so I'll just take it anyways.  Good grief.

<3 scientists and their "unbiased" approach to Anthropology... and the scientific method in general.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #44 - May 9th, 2006 at 10:31am
Print Post  
Agreed.  Nice response.

-b0b
(...offers a golf clap.)