Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Science Schmience Thread (Read 420279 times)
MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Re: Science Schmience Thread
Reply #405 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D951C5IG0&show_article=1

Quote:
British archaeologists have unearthed an ancient skull carrying a startling surprise—an unusually well-preserved brain. Scientists said Friday that the mass of gray matter was more than 2,000 years old—the oldest ever discovered in Britain. One expert unconnected with the find called it "a real freak of preservation."

The existence of a brain where no other soft tissues have survived is extremely rare, according to Sonia O'Connor, an archaeological researcher at the University of Bradford in northern England who helped authenticate the discovery.

"It's a real freak of preservation to have a brain and nothing else," Gosden said. "The fact that there's any brain there at all is quite amazing."

So. They are amazed when they find tissue from 2000 years ago. That's cool.

How is it that when they find some T-rex tissue from '65 MILLION years ago' they aren't saying "OMFG THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE!!"

Because it is impossible. Because T-rex's aren't from 65 million years ago. And because you can't see you have more faith in a buncha rocks than "religious" people have in God.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #406 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I swear, these guys do everything in their power to avoid connecting the proverbial dots.

-b0b
(...thinks Wes's mom is a "real freak of preservation.")

IP Logged

spanky
Post Whore
FTP Server

Reply #407 - Dec 12th, 2008 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
Quote:
...thinks Wes's mom is a "real freak of preservation."

Not really.  I mean anything that eats that many twinkies is going to last.

AIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #408 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
You guys are douchebags.....seriously

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #409 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
http://www.kusi.com/weather/colemanscorner/38574742.html
Quote:
The key players are now all in place in Washington and in state governments across America to officially label carbon dioxide as a pollutant and enact laws that tax we citizens for our carbon footprints. Only two details stand in the way, the faltering economic times and a dramatic turn toward a colder climate. The last two bitter winters have lead to a rise in public awareness that CO2 is not a pollutant and is not a significant greenhouse gas that is triggering runaway global warming.

How did we ever get to this point where bad science is driving big government we have to struggle so to stop it?

another excellent article from the founder of the weather channel outlining the history of the global warming scare.

"Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."&&&&John Adams&&
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #410 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Didn't you get the memo?  It's no longer "global warming," but "global climate change."  Any time the weather gets nasty (too hot, too cold, too rainy, etc.) we can now blame it on greenhouse gases, regardless of the obvious contradiction that may cause.

-b0b
(...rolls his eyes.)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #411 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
I stopped even paying attention to global warming and all of its other fancy names a long time ago.

I won't sit here and say that all the shit we pump into the atmosphere and such isn't doing SOMETHING.  But I don't think its going to cause the entire earth to warm to a point where the shit hits the fan =p

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #412 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 11:51am
Print Post  
Quote:
Vatican endorses Darwin, slights intelligent design
Creationism is a cultural phenomenon - like Paris Hilton
By Joe Fay, 11th February 2009 13:02 GMT

The Vatican gave the Creationist lobby a left right sign of the cross today, announcing it would stage a conference on Darwinism next month and declaring that it was one of the Fathers of the Church that thought up the idea in the first place.

At one point the conference at the Pontifical Gregorian University wasn't going to give Creationism or Intelligent Design a hearing at all. But apparently the organisers have relented, and will consider Intelligent Design as a "cultural phenomenon" rather than as a valid scientific theory, giving US-based IDers the chance to be smirked at by a room full of Monseigneurs, Cardinals and Bishops.

Previewing the conference yesterday, Archbishop Gianfranco Ravasi, head of the Church's Pontifical Council for Culture, conceded the Church had been hostile to Darwin on occasion. But, he said, the Church had never formally condemned Darwin, and he noted that in the last 50 years a number of Popes had accepted evolution as a valid scientific approach to human development.

Indeed, he said, evolution could be traced back through Scholastics such as St Thomas Aquinas to St Augustine in the fourth century, who had noted that "big fish eat smaller fish".

Augustine is probably more famous for praying "God, make me good - but not yet." Which also has some evolutionary overtones if you think about it.

Marc Leclerc, a natural philosopher at the University went further, saying Creationists were mistaken in arguing that that Darwinism was "totally incompatible with a religious vision of reality".

The conference, and the Church's endorsement of Darwin, represents another curve ball from the Holy See at other, arguably more fundamentalist, streams of Christianity. In December Pope Benedict tipped his hat to Galileo - who definitely was condemned by the Church - while simultaneously going all New Age by blethering on about the Solstice.

Last May, the Vatican astronomer really went out on a limb, claiming there was nothing incompatible between being a Catholic and believing in Aliens. He even suggested Aliens could be free of the stain of original sin, the stubborn blemish that has condemned humanity to a progressive decline from the Garden of Eden, through slavery, the dark ages, religious strife, atomic war, and now, the credit crunch and Simon Cowell.

But a wholesale worldview rejig this is not. Other branches of modern science get shorter shrift, with genetic manipulation fairly high on the Vatican's current don't-like list.

Leave it up to the Catholic church to come up with this kind of asshattery.  All Christians, Catholics included, should consider this an insult and an attack on the basic tenets of their faith.

-b0b
(...wut?)

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #413 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
I've yet to see a good theory on where humans came from.

Evolution is troublesome because of its complete lack of transitory fossils, and creationists have nothing to back there ideas except "it says so in the bible".

Someday someone will figure out the real cause of our existence, and I'll be looking forward to it.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #414 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 11:51am
Print Post  
eh, evolution has more critical problems than transitional fossils, many of which are solved by a good understanding of biblical creation. 

Dismissing God's Word on a seemingly arbitrary whim doesn't make sense.

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #415 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
I'll grab the popcorn.

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #416 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
I don't dismiss God's Word on a whim Smiley

If you can offer me any concrete proof that man was created by God I'd love to hear it.  Spouting scripture doesn't do it for me.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Ironman
GeekCrew Luser

Reply #417 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
1. Man was created by naturalistic evolution or by (a) God.  E v G
2. Evolution cannot work according to information theory and irreducible complexity.  ~E
3.  Therefore man was created by (a) God.   ∴ G

...?

IP Logged

MediaMaster
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

Holy Xenu!

Reply #418 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
haha i love my brother.  Grin

IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #419 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 11:35pm
Print Post  
Just because Evolution is obviously wrong does not make Creation correct by default.

That's the kind of backwards logic that has held man back for hundreds of years.

"Well we can't sail across the sea, so obviously there is not other side of the sea!"

"Well the sun moves across the sky, so Earth HAS to be the center of the Universe"

-----------------------

You offered me no proof, just more nonsense.  And that is my problem with Creationism.  I can write a book and say I created the world and man too, doesn't mean I did.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 31
Send TopicPrint