Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What's the deal with Lent? (Read 5437 times)
Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

What's the deal with Lent?
Mar 10th, 2006 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Pat & I were talking a little bit about this last night.  What are your beliefs about it, if any?  Should it be observed, and how?  Is it limited to specific denominations?  What Scriptures justify its practice?

Have at it, boys...

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Re: What's the deal with Lent?
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
I always saw Lent as a Catholic practice.  Beyond that I never really gave it much thought.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Well I'm kinda torn on this subject,

Lent was started somewhere in the, probably with "St. Leo in the 400s, but even people put the practice in the first three centuries where is found both considerable diversity of practice regarding the fast before Easter and also a gradual process of development in the matter of its duration.  And the 40 days before Easter is at least Biblical in that it's a godly number.

Catholics, during these 40 days, do not eat meat of any kind on Fridays and do not eat in between meals.  For Catholics, this is something you must! do.  Therefore I find it kinda like the religion of the Pharasees and there adherence to tradition (I know you could say this about almost everything the Catholics do), however I still think this is a good practice.

Jesus told his disciples (this includes all followers of Christ) in Mat 6:16  Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

He says, "when ye fast" not "if ye fast" therefore Christ is commanding us to fast from time to time.

Mat 9:14  Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not?
Mat 9:15  And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast.

When Jesus is gone from this earth, we shall fast.

There are many many more Scripture pertaining to fasting and it not only is physically good for most people to fast but it also is good to fast spiritually.

Act 14:23  And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.

There's even Scripture that says if we fast we're more likely to get from God what we want.  This is, fasting puts us so much better inline with God that we draw closer to Him and Him to us.

So should I follow Lent because the Catholics do?  No.

Should I follow Lent because God commands us to fast and it puts us into a better spirit with Him?  I, personally, would say yes.

When you fast with others it makes it so much easier to stay strong and faithful.

Blessed me the name of the Lord, in righteousness He reign forever and ever.  Amen.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Marie wrote on Mar 10th, 2006 at 11:45am:
Pat & I were talking a little bit about this last night.  What are your beliefs about it, if any?  Should it be observed, and how?  Is it limited to specific denominations?  What Scriptures justify its practice?

Lent and it's associated tag-along holidays (Mardis Gras/Fat Tuesday) are ridiculous and completely irrelevant.

The problems with the concept of Lent are many-fold.  It's a tradition started by the Catholic church that partially survived the Protestant Reformation and is carried on in both the Catholic church and certain protestant denominations.  I'm neither Catholic nor Catholic-derived, so the holiday doesn't really apply to me.

Quote:
Matthew 6:16 - Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

The problem with Lent is that it's observers completely misunderstand the basic premis of fasting.  Fasting is good.  However, it has to be done for the right reasons and with the right mindset.  If you are fasting "because the Pope told me to" or "because it's what everyone else is doing" or "because the calendar says it's that time of year," you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Fasting is a highly personal experience with God.  It's something that nobody needs to know about.  Not your spouse, not your parents, not your best friends, and certainly not the Pope.  It's a personal commitment to God to forsake a significant factor in your life for the benefit of gaining a closer relationship with God.  It's a time of purging sinful tendencies from your life to attain a more intimate walk with the Creator.  None of this needs to be public knowledge, and it's certainly not the kind of thing you can plop on a calendar.

People that walk around saying "Hey, I'm fasting" are doing exactly what Jesus warned against in the verse above.  They're doing it for themselves.  They aren't fasting for the rewards they'll get in heaven, but rather for the rewards they get immediately by having other people think they're pious and upstanding.

Nowhere in the New Testament will you ever find an apostolic (or Christ-given) exhortation to support an "annual" fast of any kind.  According to the Catholics, in 461 AD St. leo told his parishioners to abstain so they could "fulfill with their fasts the Apostolic institution of the forty days."

I'll start observing Lent as soon as someone can point out an apostle that even mentions a fast that satisfies the following conditions:

1) Mandatory.
2) Follows a strict schedule.
3) Applies to all members of all churches.
4) Specifically declares what can and cannot be eaten.

If any of you can find that, and I'll stop eating meat this very instant.  I've got two beautiful steaks in the refrigerator right now that are just begging to be cooked, so I don't make this claim lightly.

I wouldn't have any problem with the Catholic concept of Lent if they didn't rabidly lie about its origins.  The fact the Papacy has to push such outright fallacies to cover up the source of this corrupt exercise is what's really irksome.

Irksome.  I like that word.  I think I'll use it more often.

-b0b
(...mmm, steaks!)

IP Logged

b0b
GeekCrew Administrator
FTP Server

The revolution will not
be televised.

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2006 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
X wrote on Mar 10th, 2006 at 12:40pm:
There's even Scripture that says if we fast we're more likely to get from God what we want.  This is, fasting puts us so much better inline with God that we draw closer to Him and Him to us.

I'd have to disagree with that concept.  God rewards his children's requests the same way a parent rewards their children.  Ultimately, one question must be answered:  Is it in their best interests to give them what they're looking for?

God may not give us something we want simply because we don't need it.  It doesn't matter how "good" we've been, He simply isn't going to give it to us.  Sometimes the reason(s) may be obvious, and sometimes they may be completely transparent.

Certainly, behavior plays a part also.  If we're rebelling against God and we refuse to serve Him, then He isn't going to reward us the way He wants to.  However, just because we're serving God doesn't mean he "owes" us anything.  After all, "all our righteousness is as filthy rags."

Out of curiosity, what scripture is it you were alluding to?  I'd like to read over your source material.

-b0b
(...ponders.)

IP Logged

X
Post Whore
FTP Server

And the truth shall set
you free

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 4:47am
Print Post  
The one I am refering to is in the OT somewhere and I have it in my notes and for the life of me I can't find it.  I will look later today (seeing as it's 4:42 as of right now).

There are a few NT:

Mat 6:17  But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;
Mat 6:18  That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

And Bob, I do agree with everything you said above for the most part.  But I would have to say that if I wish to fast for all the right reasons 40 days before Easter...I think that is a good thing.

X

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. - Max Payne

IP Logged

Marie
GeekCrew Hax0r

Reply #6 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 4:06pm
Print Post  
From the Scriptures we've been citing, I believe that fasting is not an option for people.  Jesus said "WHEN you fast..." and not "IF you fast..."

Fasting is not something you should "brag" about, for lack of a better word.  People that say "Oh, well I'm giving up such-and-such for Lent; what about you?" are trying to prove their godliness, more often than not.  If they're sincere about it, then they would tell people for the sake of accountability.

I fast when I feel called to, not because "Oh, it's Lent, I better give something up."  However, the fact that it IS Lent REMINDS me to think about the concept of fasting.  Am I currently esteeming something above Christ?  Is it something I need to back off on?  I don't know about you, but I could always use more reminders.

WWWGTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

The_Fat_Man
Wootzor von Leetenhaxor
FTP Server

Grand High Overlard

Reply #7 - Mar 11th, 2006 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Come on guys, lets face the truth.  Fasting is Satans work.  God supplied us with delicious foods and Taco Bell so that we could consume them in his honor.

I for one will not be fasting!  (Ok I will be, but only because I'm poor)

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint